mtbr member
    Jun 2006

knee pain... Any ideas

That few times I have ridden I have been getting a pain in the back of my knee. It kind of feels like a muscle pull from a hyper-extension. Nothing has changed on the bike, I tried lowering the saddle, raising the saddle, new cleats and it is still sore. I havent been on the bike in about 5 days now and it still hurts. It seems to be the tendon in back of the knee that is sore. Any thoughts...?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is the pain in the center of the back of the knee or on one side or the other?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    don't mean to grave dig but...

I have the same pain, but it seems to only occur when I use clipless pedals and shoes, too much pulling up.

When I run flats, I don't have any knee pain.

Anyone else notice an increase in pain when going clipless vs flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I still have the pain. I am going in for a MRI on saturday (finally). I went to PT for 2 months, and have only seen minor improvements. My dr. wanted me to stop doing anything that would strain it before doing a mri for a month. So all I have been doing is stretching my hamstring and calf muscles.
    Clipless pedals bothers mine also. So that lead my PT to believe that it is hamstring. Tenosynovitis (sp) is what the diagnosis is for me... Guess we`ll see if the MRI shows anything.

At least I am not alone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nope

Just ice your knee when it hurts, and don't on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    Nope

Just ice your knee when it hurts, and don't on the pedals.
    The idea is for my knees not to hurt.

I don't understand the last part of your statemnet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Where did my words go?
    I meant don't mash on the pedals. I somethimes get knee pain when pedaling standing up incorrectly, or when peddaling too hard in a low cadence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not really a masher, but I do pull up so my thought was that was putting strain on the knee joint, pulling and stretching the tendons. When just running flats I don't, pull up with as much force and I don't have the pain. the pain can be describes as an overall dull pain, taking "Move Free" (dglucosimine and chondrotin) makes it go away in a day or two

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    don't mean to grave dig but...

I have the same pain, but it seems to only occur when I use clipless pedals and shoes, too much pulling up.

When I run flats, I don't have any knee pain.

Same here. I don't use clipless anymore for this reason. My pain is in the front though. I still get a little irritation even with flats but not anything like what I had with clipless. It's the pulling up, definitely.

The day after the first time I ever used clipless pedals I was standing at a urinal and my right knee locked up and felt like a nail was driven through the cap. I had to hold back the look of pain because people would wonder what the hell was wrong with me, but I felt like yelling it hurt so bad. That should have been enough but it wasn't. So I pushed through until I noticed that my knees were just stiff all the time.

Since I've switched to flats my knees feel great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Alot of the time knee pain is from a improperly setup bike (pedal to seat length). The position of the saddle can give you some problems as well ( too far forward or tilted too far back). If your bike is setup correctly try some calcium pills or take tums or that type of thing before you ride. I started taking the calcium pills and taking a shot of tums before a ride and my knee doesnt bother me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I train lots of clients with knee pain. I have found that most of the time this is either because of a foot or a hip dysfunction. Bikers are prone to tight hip flexors. If your hip flexors are tight and your hips are in that flexed, anteriorly rotated position (like on a bike) your hamstrings can often get weak and tight. Also, if you hips are flexed (with supertight hip flexors) you will never really fully extend your knee when riding. Prolonged bouts of biking with bent knees and tight hip flexors could cause you to have some pain/injury when you DO try to fully extend that knee.

For the feet... if you are clipped in you need to have lots of ankle/foot mobility. If your tib/fib can't rotate ontop of your ankle (Talus, Navicular, Calcaneus) because your ankle is all locked up from some past injury/boot/etc. then your body will compensate by ripping the foot apart or chewing the knee up (after all the momentum just doesn't dissapear if your ankle can't rotate, it's force, it has to go somewhere, in this case it only has two places to go, up or down, knee or foot. if anybody wants for info just ask

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Generally, saddle too high, pain in the back of knee. Saddle too low, pain in the front of the knee.
    Also, cleat placement is a variable as well as pedal type. Not all clipless are the same and some offer better freedom of movement.

I just recently fixed a problem that I thought I had prevented with my saddle ht and also had to move my cleats more forward. Ortho took xrays and everything OK (had sx 20 years ago).

Are both of your knees hurting or just one?
    If just one, do you have a past injury to that knee?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My left knee pops when I hyper-extend it, and the right one pops when I move the knee cap around. It doesn't happen to the opposite knee.
    Yeah, I'll get it checked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This may not help but it's worth a shot try this stretch hold it for about 2 minutes and then see how you feel. http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html

My knee hurt for years and I was in therapy for 3 months with the same diagnosis as you said 'tendonitis' and none of the therapists ever showed me this stretch. I did some searching myself on the internet and now after doing it I have no more knee pain. It really makes me wonder how knowledgeable the orthopedic dr's and therapists really are???
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Sometimes we get some roughness on the back of the petella which kinda sounds like grating. When it gets too painful, they can smooth it up.
    I did find that stretching all aspects of the lower body helped but allowed me to create a chronic condition because the etiology wasn't addressed ie saddle ht and cleat psoition. Your etiology may be different or it could be muscular or mechanical. Alwasys a puzzle.
    RTR