Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    In case your interested, here is the tape combo I used. You can get it on ebay cheap.
    Leukotape P Combo Pack Sports Tape Cover Roll Bandage | eBay

And the procedure I used when taping.
    Patellofemoral McConnell taping - YouTube

This made a big difference for me. Please take note for anyone reading... I am NOT a dr. Just did my homework and after going to a PT for 2 months learned how to address the issue myself. Things are improving each day and I'm very grateful.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Head ups on tape use. Two weeks riding with KT Tape and seems working fine. Pain control similar to strap but no pressure and irritation on outside tendons.
    Since I know which direction I need to move patella I'm using single strip starting under knee going around with tension and finishing above. It pushes patella instead of pulling it directly like in link posted above.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'd be interested to see a pic of how you do that. My issues are now the patellar tendon and not knee cap tracking, but it'd be good to know.

I'm currently up to 40min rides with out pain. I have some muscle fatigue (sore) the next day and a little bit of joint soreness, but nothing "hurts". I'm thinking its just the fact that I didn't ride AT ALL for 4 months and now I just have to build my body back up to it again. It seems to get better over time. I started out w/ this soreness after only 20mins in the beginning and now I can double that time before it sets in, so I believe I'm making headway.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Its shown here: KT Tape: Full Knee Support - YouTube
    Since its full support it uses 3 strips, in my case I end up with single strip going around outside of knee cap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Willie View Post
    I adjusted the saddle fore and aft so that my knee was properly placed over the spindle and the ball of my foot and also I think I raised it a little bit. I think those things helped a lot because now even if I climb in a harder gear, I don't get the twinges that I used to get.
    Got a "new to me" bike last month and been riding harder. 2 weeks ago I began to feel tightness from my kneecap to my thigh when laying down. Last few days my knees began to hurt when walking so I came here and found this thread.

Yesterday I moved my seat forward 15 mm's, rode for an hour, and all symptoms are gone.

My knees will be 66 years old tomorrow so I'm especially grateful!
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, I'm happy to report that I believe I have finally beat a 6 month long problem. I have gotten back up to 1hr long bike rides without pain. My tendonitis seems to be steadily improving and though I'm still using neoprene braces when I ride I no longer have issue with the swelling I had. I still take some advil after my rides and ice as soon as possible, but probably will for quite some time just so I don't have this happen again. I was at one point up to 2 1/2 hr long rides on my road bike, but hopefully by the end of the summer I can approach that again. My goal now is to train the rest of this year and be ready for our local spring/summer xc mtb series next year. Just wanted to let everyone know this IS something you can recover from if you give yourself enough rest and gradually build yourself back up to riding again.

mtbr member
    Ooh, patellar tendonitis .. I was out for a year with that, on crutches for about 4 months. You gotta take it seriously. Long story, but another injury sidelined me for a year and when I got back into action my quads were totally atrophied (your patellar tendon is an extension of your quads) and I pushed it too hard too early and put myself out for another year. Pretty sad when I think about it, I basically lost 2 years of my life, if you can believe it.

I found the that physiotherapists just made everything much worse, maybe you have a good one, I don't know. They didn't like the fact that I was able to do my own internet research. I really should have sued the ass off mine because she is what started the whole downhill spiral, turned a simple minor structural sports injury into a major problem that threatened the future existence of my leg.

Anyways, I did lots of research on patellar tendonitis. I discovered that the best way to rehab it is with eccentric exercises, basically you stress it while the tissue it's lengthening, not contracting (concentric exercise). This means that you would put force on your leg when you go down a squat, but not back up. It seems to do amazing things. Google it.

Me, I'm basically up to 100% now, I totally rebuilt my scar-tissue laden, almost non-existent patellar tendon. Tendons are not like muscles because they have very little blood flow and they take a long time to heal, whereas a muscle heals in weeks or even days. Be thankful that you haven't screwed up your knee ligaments because you never fully recover from that, but a patellar tendon can be totally rehabbed.

At least the silver lining to all this is that I now know everything about tendonitis, how to recognize it before it gets out of hand, and to deal with it, so I can say I'm never going to have another tendonitis problem again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mark its ironic you say your patellar tedonitis was started from atrophy, because I believe that's what may have happened with mine. Though they were sore/painful for so long I don't 100% remember the initial pain I was feeling I believe my tendonitis came after I was doing PT for my kneecap tracking issues. I tried a couple different times to explain to my PT that I felt my pain was NOT from the tracking, but they brushed it off.

I finally ended up going to another Orthopedic doctor that would listen and was indeed diagnosed w/ tendonitis. My tendonitis issues didn't start getting substantially better till I stopped doing my knee cap tracking exercises and if I had simply listened to my original PT and not done my own research I believe I would STILL be regressing instead of improving. In short though most doctors are very intelligent with MUCH more education than myself, but you also need to have a mind of your own and explore ALL potential options.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Glad to hear. With tape and foam roller I had improved symptoms a lot. My goal was to enable 4-5 hours rides pain free and with tape on no issues. If I forget to apply tape I'm good for an hour or so but then pain starts coming back slowly. Also what makes it worse is wearing armor. Spent week in Mammoth, and pedaling with knee pads brings pain fairly quick.
    Hope I'll be able to fully recover in the winter. Right now riding is just too god to slow down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got a little over-zealous two weeks ago and did 3 days of riding in a row. Felt fine the first two days and didn't hurt during the activity the 3rd day, but come the fourth day I had some pretty good knee pain again. Took a full week off and started back up again yesterday. So far no pain. I guess I'm just gonna have to stick to my on one day off the next routine I've been doing. With ice each day and advil(ibuprofen) after my rides I seem to be good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2