Thread: Knee Pain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Knee Pain

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help trying to figure out this sudden knee pain I am having. I did a 75 mile mountain bike race with about 7000 feet of climbing 9 days ago.

Today was the first time I have got back on a bike. Road bike ride today and after just a few pedal strokes my right knee started hurting. I should have turned around but thought it would go away. After about 15 miles my left knee started hurting so I started heading home.

Both my knees hurt on the outside and the pain seemed to radiate to the front. It also hurts worse on the down stroke. Especially when I try to put some power into the pedals.

This is by far the first time I have had knee pain but today I barley made it home the pain was so bad. They haven't hurt any since the race so do you think I may just be stiff from the race? Or is there another Issue?

I have been fit to the road bike and haven't had any problems with it till now.

The only other thing I can think of is my daughter and I went hiking yesterday morning. something I usually do not do. And It was steep up and down but my knees did hurt after we were done.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Happened to me years ago and it was traced to biking in too high of a gear at a lower RPM. After I dropped to lower gears and increased RPMs, the pain went away.

mtbr member
    Did you at all hear a 'pop' during your hike or ride? The most common knee injury is a meniscus tear. These can develop from simply squating and then twisting the wrong way. The best thing to be doing is putting cold compresses on it to reduce the inflammation and swelling. This will also help relieve related pain. In order to heal, in case it is a meniscus tear, you need blood flow. The knee already has very little blood flow, which is why it is a slow healer. There is a Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy (BFST) that I highly recommend. It is an energy web within a knee wrap that promotes the circulation you need, deep down below the dermal level, in order to heal.
    Meniscus Tear Treatment

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There was no pop that I heard. Im thinking it had to bee the hiking. The knees took a pretty good pounding going down that mountain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Downhills on hikes are A LOT HARDER on my knees than bike rides. I've found when my knees are sore it can help to use flat pedals instead of clip-ins until the knee stops hurting as well.
    Are you really sure about that?