Thread: Knee Pain ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Knee Pain ...

I am been suffering off and on with knee pain on both sides and canít figure out how it happened. This started off early last year. Most times in the winter from December to mid-April I might jog once a week and swim once a week and that it, I take it easy. Last year I decided that I was going to walk out side rather than jogging and swimming. I did 2-3 walks a week out in the cold and thatís it. In March I noticed that both of my knee were a little sore, mostly of the pain was on the inside portion of my knee in the joint. Come April I stated MTB / Road as usual and some of the pain stated to get worse. Itís been off and on most of the year but it not from overtraining because this year because of schedules I only rode twice a week. Back in November the pain all of sudden got worse and I really backed off on all exercising. I saw the Orthopedic and he gave me Celebrex but it is not helping. I went back and he x-rayed both of my knees and said for 44 years old my knees look fine and the spacing if good. Right now the pain is worse when I am actually standing for a long period of time. I have no pain the outside of the knee or the patella itself. I have absolutely no history of overtraining and knee pain. Now I am stuck with pain in both knees and it makes me nervous. I am almost looking for a medical reason above and beyond overuse. I am on the same 2 bikes for the past 3 years and I believe the set-ups are good. The pain is a very specific area on both knees, it is strictly on the inside if my kneecap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i am an athletic trainer (sports medicine) at my high school so i cn try and help. from where you described the pain being and how much activity you do it sounds lioke a medial
    meniscus tear. what that is is from overuse in extension and flexsion of the knee it is causing the end of the femur to rub on the top of the tibia an is causing the meniscus to wear down and now it is bone on bone contact causing the pain. to get treatment you would have to go to the doctor again and they might have to do arthoscopic surgery depending on teh severity.
    when you said the pain is directly on the patella it confused me. if it is directly on the patell then i think it may be either chondromalacia or patellar tendonitis. chondromalacia is when the cartilidge on the back of teh patella wears down from overuse flexsion. patellar tendonitis id also caused for the same reason as chondro. all that is, is inflamation of the patellar tendon and it is rubbing teh patela causing friction. next tim you go to the doctor ask him about these and he will do stress tests to find positives. hope i helped and didnt just bore you to death with medical talk.

mtbr member

Knee Pain

Quote Originally Posted by frank
    I am been suffering off and on with knee pain on both sides and canít figure out how it happened. This started off early last year. Most times in the winter from December to mid-April I might jog once a week and swim once a week and that it, I take it easy. Last year I decided that I was going to walk out side rather than jogging and swimming. I did 2-3 walks a week out in the cold and thatís it. In March I noticed that both of my knee were a little sore, mostly of the pain was on the inside portion of my knee in the joint. Come April I stated MTB / Road as usual and some of the pain stated to get worse. Itís been off and on most of the year but it not from overtraining because this year because of schedules I only rode twice a week. Back in November the pain all of sudden got worse and I really backed off on all exercising. I saw the Orthopedic and he gave me Celebrex but it is not helping. I went back and he x-rayed both of my knees and said for 44 years old my knees look fine and the spacing if good. Right now the pain is worse when I am actually standing for a long period of time. I have no pain the outside of the knee or the patella itself. I have absolutely no history of overtraining and knee pain. Now I am stuck with pain in both knees and it makes me nervous. I am almost looking for a medical reason above and beyond overuse. I am on the same 2 bikes for the past 3 years and I believe the set-ups are good. The pain is a very specific area on both knees, it is strictly on the inside if my kneecap.
    It is a bit difficult to Dx over a forum such as this being that we cannot see nor feel you knee. It sounds as if it could be a couple of different things that are going on. I/we would have to get more infor from you and assess some other areas as far as alignments, patellar mobility/tracking etc. It sounds as if it could be a bit of Patellar Femoral Syndrome which has many different causes. Less likely, but possible is that it could be a chondral or meniscal pathology. Are you getting any mechanical sx's such as locking, catching, or clicking in the knee? This does not typically happen on both sides evenly and at the same time either. How is your foot alignment, are a significant Pronator? Do you have any back/spine issues or history? It could be more of a referred/facilitated nature from the spine.

Your best bet is to go in and see a good Physical Therapist and get everything assessed. There are too many possibilities to ponder over the internet.
    Look for a reputable PT like a manual therapist. A clinician who is a cylist is a plus as well.
    Good luck
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member

New Mex Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by mew mex dirt
    i am an athletic trainer (sports medicine) at my high school so i cn try and help. from where you described the pain being and how much activity you do it sounds lioke a medial
    meniscus tear. what that is is from overuse in extension and flexsion of the knee it is causing the end of the femur to rub on the top of the tibia an is causing the meniscus to wear down and now it is bone on bone contact causing the pain. to get treatment you would have to go to the doctor again and they might have to do arthoscopic surgery depending on teh severity.
    when you said the pain is directly on the patella it confused me. if it is directly on the patell then i think it may be either chondromalacia or patellar tendonitis. chondromalacia is when the cartilidge on the back of teh patella wears down from overuse flexsion. patellar tendonitis id also caused for the same reason as chondro. all that is, is inflamation of the patellar tendon and it is rubbing teh patela causing friction. next tim you go to the doctor ask him about these and he will do stress tests to find positives. hope i helped and didnt just bore you to death with medical talk.
    Hey NMD, sounds like you are comming along with your education. I think some of your thought processes are solid. I would caution you though, working in a field with many ATC's (Certified Athletic Trainers) they can get a bit territorial with titles at times. You may want to be careful in telling people that your an athletic trainer if you have not been through the schooling/certification standards yet. ( I make this assumption as you had mentioned that you are working at your highschool which makes me think that you are in highschool yourself.) If you are an ATC working in a highschool then I apologize.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yea that was my nistake. i should have said student athleic trinaer (S.A.T) seeing how im still studying sports medicine.

Are we there yet?
    I just got back from seeing a PT for some recent and long term knee pain I've been experiencing. Mine was not from over training but from taxing my muscles and then not caring for them properly. It caused my knee/s to get out of alignment. Through some manual manipulation he was able to bring my knee to a better alignment by getting more movement in my hips. Yep, my tight hips and the surrounding & attached muscles may be the cause of my knee pain. I was sent home with some foam roller exercises as well as a few other massage type exercises to help relax my muscles and obtain more movement/flexibility. I'm sure I'm badgering all the techincal descriptions he gave me. :-)

Knee pain can be caused by a variety of things that can't be diagnosed over the internet. I'd suggest seeing a PT who caters to cyclists.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am trying to find a PT as I write. I am also going to go and get re-fit on both of my bike by a top notch professional and see what he finds. Thanks for all the good advice, it sucks to get old.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm brand new to the site so I'm unsure if it's OK to just ask a question here...but does anyone out there know any riders who had a total knee replacement who are still able tom ride steep and rocky trails, to do both challenging climbs and descents? I'm in great pain but I'm not willing to give up riding White Ranch Open Space Park in Golden, Colorado. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know several guys who ride with knee and hip replacements. Most ride on the road as opposed to off road. Their is always a concern for getting in an accident and damaging the replacement. My father just had his knee done and it is not easy process to go through.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks so much for replying. That's what I'm worried about...is there anyone out there riding rocky trals who has had a total knee replacement?
    Scott