mtbr member
    May 2007

knee injury - physical therapy

Hey guys,

So I was all excited to go out and purchase a new bike, when I injured my left knee, and irritated my already problematic right knee. Just got back from the ortho, and he said that i just had a really bad muscle pull/strain in my left knee, and severe tendinitis in my right. He told me to go to physical therapy for 1 month, 2 times a week to strengthen and give my knees more flexibility. Apparently my legs are not very flexible (I have very long legs). I asked him about biking, and he just said take it easy. What I want to know is what everyone's experience with PT is? Does it help? What can I expect? I have never had to do this before, so I just want to hear some of your stories...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    PT is the reason I recovered so well when I destroyed the tib/fib in my leg, and also the reason I have back mobility... and that my shoulder is doing well...

It worked very well for me, but everyone is different. After my leg injury I had several knee injuries similar to what you're going through now and PT is all that was perscribed to treat those. In fact, it was my therapist that got me thinking I could race XC after a knee injury. I never made it to a race because of other injuries, but regardless, PT helped me considerably. Just make sure its a physical therapist you like and who has a staff that you can get along with. Otherwise it will be a long month. Follow their orders as far as exercises to do at home and definitely take it easy until they give you the OK.

Good luck, and a speedy recovery to you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply, that sounds hopeful. Like I said before, I don't know what to expect, and my knees seem (at least to me) more screwed up than what the doctor made it out to be. But we'll see what happens once i start doing the PT.

DOD Member
    I'll give PT all the credit for my recovery from a dislocated knee and spinal fusion. (Different years). I still do the excercises prescribed to keep my knee stable and my core strong. Hopefully it well help ward off future and recurring injury. The tendinitus can be a pisser to get over and not have it come back.

Do whatever the PT tells you to do, don't cut yourself any slack! Don't overdo either.

Good luck.
    MaxSteel

Jackass
    Zeppman,
    I've been doing outpatient PT for about two months now due to injury's sustained in a motorcycle accident, and honestly I can't say enough about these people. When I got out of the hospital I could barley walk and could not lift my right arm higher than my shoulder. Now I'm pretty much 95 percent of normal on my leg and arm, and after riding my road bike for the first time since my accident this weekend, I think I might actually be physically stronger than I was pre-crash. (although lung capacity has suffered, but theres only so much you can do on a treadmill).
    Give those guys everything you can, but tell them if something your doing starts to hurt, and you won't believe the difference they can make.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    +1 on the PT. It really sped up my recovery after my ACL replacement. I would go balls out on every exercise they gave me, and really treated it like a workout session. I recovered alot faster than some other people that were there for the same reason,but didn't put in the same effort. Most of my work outs involved stationary bikes, stretching, and light weights. Cycling is great for strengthening the muscles around the knee.....hell my knees start to ache if I don't ride for a while.

Give it 100%, and you'll be glad you went.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for the info guys
    Last edited by zeppman; 06-09-2007 at 10:32 AM.