mtbr member

Knee Injury (Meniscus)

I thought I would post up another sob story for the Rider Down board. As far as I know I have strained/twisted my menisus in my left knee. It happened last Friday in my second last Rugby game of the season. I went in for a tackle and when taking the guy down he came down on my knee which gave out from under me. I was in alot of pain initially but it seemed to get better later on. So after a week of icing and Tylenol I am pretty bummed. I should be off the bike for between 3-4 weeks if everything heals well. If there is no considerable improvement in the next few days I think I will be heading off to doctor to get it checked out. I would love any advice from people who have had similar injuries and what I need to do to make sure it gets better. I really want to make sure it heals well so I don't have any recurring problems. Thanks

Cheers
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. Its kept me off the bike for some while untill recently.

Unfortunately mine is torn in an area where there is no blood supply, so it will never heal on its own. Ive been living with it for 12 years now and sometimes it aches so bad it keeps me up when I should be sleeping.

Did you have an MRI done or did your doctor just think its strained? If its torn there is a chance one day the tear could grow and your knee will lock up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by opie74
    I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. Its kept me off the bike for some while untill recently.

Unfortunately mine is torn in an area where there is no blood supply, so it will never heal on its own. Ive been living with it for 12 years now and sometimes it aches so bad it keeps me up when I should be sleeping.

Did you have an MRI done or did your doctor just think its strained? If its torn there is a chance one day the tear could grow and your knee will lock up.
    No I have not gone to a doctor yet. It has been a week since it has happened. I think I should probably go sometime this week.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes ! Go to the doc.Get an MRI if you can.I go in to acl reconstructive surgery for the second time! next week.It all started with a torn meniscus a few years ago ago.It made my knee roll wrong for years and weakened it. and eventually it made me tear my acl because i wasn't walking correctly.Good luck!Take good care of those knees.Peace

mtbr member
    May 2007

torn meniscus

I had a tear fixed last year and it was very painless (especially compared to my tibial plateau 14 yrs ago) and provided immediate relief. I was off the knee for one day after orthoscopy. Rode a stationary bike after 4-5 days and some very easy rode miles after a couple of weeks.

Three sheets to the wind
    I'm having mine replaced this winter, as mine is in pieces, I'll keep you posted...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice xray, assume you had tibial plateau injury also. Your screws are in a much nicer pattern than mine which pointed in many different directions ( 7 of them). What are you having replaced, meniscus (I did not know they could do that) or a knee? I am hoping to avoid knee replacement for as long as possible (am 46 yrs old) but I know the tibia looks bad from the photos from my ortho. Good luck with the replacement.

Dave P

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bummer

It's true the meniscus has no blood flow so it can't repair itself. In my case the flap created by the tear eventually wedged itself in the posterior joint space and locked my knee. Lots of swelling before the lockup that was kept under control with NSAIDS.

Options for the tear ranged from a type of staple to keep it in place to removal of the tear. Mine was trimmed. Heh, heh, heh, the othopedic surgeon really had to tug on the sucker to get it free from the joint space. It felt like he was trying to pull my leg off.

I know of one ex-body builder who had his meniscus replaced with a titanium wedge. I forget the name of the insert but you should be able to google it easily. He claims that the wedge insert made a big difference for him. I am a bit skeptive though since I can't see how it can provide any shock absorbtion. His meniscus was completely removed during a prior surgery however and I can see how the insert probably helped with knee alignment.

Knees are tough and once a scope is placed in there, things will be different. Of course there was a problem to begin with, so sometimes pain relief is the result. Good luck.

Three sheets to the wind
    Both, first the meniscus then when I retire, I'll get a complete knee. Evan (my surgeon) will remove the hardware this fall (after the season) so it can be imaged. Then when I heal up he'll do the miniscus replacement. They use either cow collagen or a donor from a cadaver (gross!!!) The total knee is last, in about 10 years (I'll be 55). He would have done it when I blew it up, but I would have been retired out of my job against my will.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am assuming you broke your leg on a downhill run and that you obviously do a lot of downhill now.

Mine was not nearly as glorious. Happened about 15 years ago when riding on the road and my tire caught on the edge of a driveway. I went endo and instead of rolling my leg went out and hyper extended driving the femur down through the tibia. Initial repair lasted about 14 years but will never be the same. Had two of seven screws removed during meniscus repair but doctor suggested I leave the others in. In hindsight, wish I got them all out as soon as possible because even the two that got removed had enough bone growth around them that there is still a nasty bump on my shin that hurts like hell when I bump into stuff. One of the few things that does not hurt is riding the bike and I am just out for a workout and to enjoy the scenery.

Good luck with the leg.

Three sheets to the wind
    Thanx, U2...here's a giggle, I broke my thumb riding Saturday....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheRubberSideDown
    I thought I would post up another sob story for the Rider Down board. As far as I know I have strained/twisted my menisus in my left knee. It happened last Friday in my second last Rugby game of the season. I went in for a tackle and when taking the guy down he came down on my knee which gave out from under me. I was in alot of pain initially but it seemed to get better later on. So after a week of icing and Tylenol I am pretty bummed. I should be off the bike for between 3-4 weeks if everything heals well. If there is no considerable improvement in the next few days I think I will be heading off to doctor to get it checked out. I would love any advice from people who have had similar injuries and what I need to do to make sure it gets better. I really want to make sure it heals well so I don't have any recurring problems. Thanks

Cheers

I've got a history of knee injuries. The worst was a hitting a tree at about 30mph while back country snowboarding in Utah. Tore my ACL, PCL, MCL, blew out all the meniscus, and shattered my kneecap and part of the joint. 6 months later I was sorta walking on crutches... Not fun.

I blew my meniscus out playign soccer (other knee). Had orthroscopic surgery and was back on my feet in a few days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had my right knee replaced on March 17 and I was riding by June 11.
    Larry

mtbr member
    I was skiing in February of this year. Fell, heard the "pop" and a couple of hours later my knee was the size of a watermellon. After MRI my Ortho didnt give me a choice. I had torn both lateral and medial meniscus, slight tear to the ACL, multiple microfractures to the femur and tibia, and a crap load of swelling.

He removed approx 50cc of fluid/blood on three seperate occasions. I was in the operating room the next week. After the meniscisectomy it did decrease ALOT of the pain but not all of it. I have good range of motion, but i still feel the uneven surfaces that was left behind when the Ortho removed some of the meniscus. 6 months later still hurts some, although I have no real problem riding the bike.

Hope you get that knee taken care of. By the way, there are edges of the meniscus that do get collateral circulation from the LCL and MCL , although it is like 10% of the cartilage.
    I will never forget my fallen brothers 03-07-08
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

breathing helium
    I goofed up my knee like 10 years ago. I rode (sparingly) up until I had surgery in Jan of this year. I had two tears; one clipped and the other could not be helped. I had a bad plica which was removed and the OS said that there was a lot of scar tissue in there which he removed. I got a road bike to build back up and last month did ~900 miles on it. I went for one mtb ride a month ago and I'm going for another one today.

I think part of my issue deals with the q factor. On my road bike I get very little knee pain. My mtb is another story, even riding it on pavement. I'm working on getting the Q down on my mtb but it's kind of hard with all the wide chainstays these days.

I've done absolutely everything I can to help with the knee...supplements, PT, strengthening, custom fit by bike-pt, etc... I think that it has all paid off well. I'm happy to be back on the bike, but I'm certainly not 100%. I don't think bad knees ever get back to "fine". I'll always have issues, but I'm glad to be back on the bike. I was going nutz-o without it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Give it some time. I crashed three times in June, involving the right knee all three times. After # 3 I went to my doc who ordered xrays & an MRI. No broken bones, but multiple tears of the meniscus and a bunch of pain (Vicoden and then Ibuprofen helped).

After taking most of the month of July off (as in very little physical activity), I finally got to see an orthopedic surgeon (he was busy). At this time, I wasn't suffering much pain and had resumed riding, but now with knee & elbow pads.

The surgeon's recommendation was: "As long as your knee does not keep you from doing what you want to do, I do not recommend surgery. See how it goes and come back to see me ONLY if you can no longer do what you want due to knee pain."

So now another six weeks has passed with a steady decrease in pain and discomfort, and I've pretty much resumed my normal activities.

Do NOT rush into surgery unless you can't walk!

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by RickC5
    Give it some time. I crashed three times in June, involving the right knee all three times. After # 3 I went to my doc who ordered xrays & an MRI. No broken bones, but multiple tears of the meniscus and a bunch of pain (Vicoden and then Ibuprofen helped).

After taking most of the month of July off (as in very little physical activity), I finally got to see an orthopedic surgeon (he was busy). At this time, I wasn't suffering much pain and had resumed riding, but now with knee & elbow pads.

The surgeon's recommendation was: "As long as your knee does not keep you from doing what you want to do, I do not recommend surgery. See how it goes and come back to see me ONLY if you can no longer do what you want due to knee pain."

So now another six weeks has passed with a steady decrease in pain and discomfort, and I've pretty much resumed my normal activities.

Do NOT rush into surgery unless you can't walk!
    Ditto. I waited over 10 years to get surgery. I did several rounds of PT, ultrasound, bike setups, time off the bike, and everything else I could think of bfore resorting to surgery. Even after surgery I am not 100% better. It is better, but it will be a while before I can say whether it "worked". I was unable to ride more than about a day a week. I hobbled around the rest of the week. I certainly could not run or play soccer, so cycling was it. Right now I'm glad I did it, but I think it is lifetime of knee stuff forme. I CAN ride though, and that is wirth it to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with everyone, the TKR is an operation that should wait until it affects your life. In my case I was one step from being in a wheel chair. I could not support my weight and I was in pain 24-7. I had both knees done a year apart. It isn't a perfect answer but I am without most of my pain and I can ride my bike again although I'm not supposed to climb. Weather is one thing that makes my knees hurt. On the bright side I have a built in barometer. Good luck with your knee/knees.
    Larry

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am on the waiting list to have stem cells injected into my medial posterior
    left meniscus, which was partially removed 20 years ago. By all means, get
    the arthroscopy to clean it up. Some portions of meniscus do have blood flow,
    but they are the inner sections which are not usually injured.
    Best advice I could ever give is "don't have any more MTB accidents"
    Yeah, I know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So I have been having some strange knee pain issues, and perhaps the knee isnt the right thing to say, but I will get to that. I hurt my knee back in april, not really sure how, just out on a long ride. It started feeling like a cramp in the top of my calf muscle. Some time after that every ride on the bike the back of my knee would hurt. Most of the pain came from standing up on the pedals. I have been to 3 different doctors now, PT, x-rays, ultra sounds and a mri. The mri, to quote the person that looked at has a "small, subtle tear of the medial meniscus." Both my doctor, and ortho. surgeon didnt really agree with that diagnosis. It doesnt test positive for any of the meniscus tears tests that they do. It feels more like a muscle strain or a pull, instead of a sharp pain really.
    So my question is, what does a meniscus tear feel like? The dr. can push on the area where is says it is torn, and no pain.
    I am scheduled to go in for exploratory surgery on it in nov. but I would really prefer not to have them go and scope my knee.I have been off of PT and the bike now for about 2 months, and just trying to ride the bike the other day on the trainer it doesnt hurt as bad as it did before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

OK, now I get it...

I was wondering why this thread had no forther replies from the OP. Sheesh, it's over 16 months old! Whatever he needed is long past.

Oh well, perhaps this thread may help someone else with knee problems.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post: My ortho surgeon told me that knee surgery is frequently not very successful in older men. Older than 50 or so. Well, I'm 61, so that's yet another reason to postpone my surgery or just forget about it.