Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    consistent default champ

Knee arthroscope tomorrow...

I am sure I will be fine at some point. I've never had surgery before so the thought of being put under, cut open, scraped out, stuff taken out,etc is freaking me out. I am trying to stay busy so I don't think too much about it. The knee pain is screwing up my riding (and hurts all the time) so I am going to get it taken care of. Tendonitis, medial plica removed and cartilage smoothed out (hopefully there is still enough left afterwards)
    Anyone else have one? what was your recovery time?
    Luckily I have a lot of family to help me out and take care of my daughter for the first week anyway.

Forgiven
    Good luck tomorrow. Just do as the Dr. says when it comes to recovery. Have him write it down!!!! The longer you're off it.......The sooner you'll be back on it. Do not try to come back to soon. Correct healing takes time, rehab and therapy.

mtbr member

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC

I am sure I will be fine at some point. I've never had surgery before so the thought of being put under, cut open, scraped out, stuff taken out,etc is freaking me out. I am trying to stay busy so I don't think too much about it. The knee pain is screwing up my riding (and hurts all the time) so I am going to get it taken care of. Tendonitis, medial plica removed and cartilage smoothed out (hopefully there is still enough left afterwards)
    Luckily I have a lot of family to help me out and take care of my daughter for the first week anyway.
    Your rehab will all depend on what they find and what they do when they get in there. If it is just a debridement (cleaning out) of the plical band, cart, meniscus... you should have a relatively quick recovery. Synovectomies can hurt a bit more and have a longer period of time for healing. You could likely be on a stationary bike in only a couple of days after the surgery. If it is minor enough, you could be back riding in only a couple of weeks.
    If you have a repair of the meniscus or another more significant procedure it may take significantly longer before you get on your bike (weeks to months).

Good luck, let us know what they find/do.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Greeeat. Hey bro I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a knee scope coming up for a lateral meniscus tear that needs to be fixed. Totally not looking forward to being all gimped up....

ER

Look at the time!
    had an athroscopy on my left knee a month ago. It was the most harmless surgery I've ever had, so relax. You'll be left with 3 tiny cuts in your knee.
    The first night after the surgery will be painful after the anesthesia wears off, so take whatever painkillers they prescripe you and use lots of ice.

My doctor gave me one of these machines here: www.gameready.com and it was a huge relief, made a BIG difference in terms of pain and recovery time. highly recommended for at least the first week.

Like Boiseboy said, recovery time depends on if they can stitch the mensicus back together (long recovery) or if they have to cut off the torn part (almost instant recovery, but long term problems later on).
    I lost part of my meniscus, which sucks. Then again I could walk from the moment I got out of the hospital (no crutches, no cast or braces), and was back on the bike 3 weeks after. Just don't rush anything after the surgery, that will cause unnecessary swelling and delay the whole thing.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Master of None
    Same here, they removed 25% lateral meniscus. I was back to MTB in two weeks. On the other hand, my ACL is still messed up so hopefully they will fix that. It's like pulling teeth to get Kaiser to do anything.

Always Learning

Depends on the severity. First knee that went I tore the meniscus playing BBall. That sucker was swollen up like a canteloupe and I was back on the bike 3 months later, but not riding to full strength on that leg until a full year following.

Second knee went on the bike in a 50 mile race. That one went smoother and after crutches for a few days, I started easy rehab on the trainer (it was winter - end of November) and I was racing in April. But again, full strength wasn't really reached for 6 months to a year following surgery.

You'll be fine, but time heals all wounds.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

consistent default champ
    Had the surgery and the doctor said it went really well. no need to stimulate any new cartilage growth so that was good. I have no idea what my knee looks like because they told me not to unwrap my bandages, that they would do that at physical therapy tomorrow. They sent home this wonderful knee wrap that pumps ice water around my knee, something that sends electrical signals into my knee to screw up my pain signals to my brain so it doesn't know I hurt and lovely pain drugs. I am trying to cut back on the pain meds and take advil so I can function better.
    Thanks everyone!

Team Chilidog!
    Had the surgery and the doctor said it went really well. no need to stimulate any new cartilage growth so that was good. I have no idea what my knee looks like because they told me not to unwrap my bandages, that they would do that at physical therapy tomorrow. They sent home this wonderful knee wrap that pumps ice water around my knee, something that sends electrical signals into my knee to screw up my pain signals to my brain so it doesn't know I hurt and lovely pain drugs. I am trying to cut back on the pain meds and take advil so I can function better.
    Thanks everyone!
    Keep us posted. Surgery can take a while to recover from, and this forum is a great support group.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member

Congrats

Thanks everyone!
    It sounds like you only had to have a menisectomy/debridement. This is typically the easiest and fastest knee surgery to recover from. You likely will have very little, if any restrictions. If you control your swelling, get range back and strengthen up quickly you could possibly be back on your bike in a couple of weeks.
    The Estim that they sent you home with sounds like a TENS unit. It helps to confuse the pain signals so that you don't feel pain as readily.

Good luck
    BoiseBoy

consistent default champ

One week update

I have had physical therapy three times so far and am doing all the exercises at home. They tried to get my to pedal on a stationary bike today. They had to put the seat up very high and I had to pedal backwards with my toe pointing down first to get my knee around. I still have swelling so my knee cap was popping the entire time. I think I got a few weeks before I can even go on a joy ride at this point.

Had a doctor appointment also. He said I am healing very fast and my knee is very mobile considering surgery was only a week ago. I go back to see him again Jan 17th. He said if I feel up to it and want to go back to work before then to let him know.....yeah, I'll do that

Forgiven
    Glad to hear things are going well.!! You'll be back in the New Year before you know it!!

consistent default champ
    I got motivation today! New tires, new shorts and jerseys, and a beautiful new Thomson Elite seat post!!
    Come on knee!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    hey brownie hope all is going well!!
    all the advice seems sound,
    just know your own limits,which is hard knowing you want to get back out there.
    I came back a little soon after my first scope and did some REAL damage.
    if you are like I was ,stability will be your problem for some time.
    now I am sans ACL with very little cartilage remaining...yes its a *****

Mi vida es bueno
    I just had orthoscopic surgery last wednesday, just some clean up from my knee-cap dislocating a couple times. Make sure you work at that physical therapy, I had it the second time I injured my knee and it works wonders!

breathing helium
    I'm glad that your surgery went well and the recovery is coming along.

I've been waffling for years about whether to get my left knee fixed. MRI's show nothing and physical therapy helps some but does not fix it 100%. My knee pops every time I get up from a chair or straighten it after sitting. It hurts post and lot during rides. It clicks at every pedal revolution. It aches in the back too.

Thing is, the MRI is clean! The doctor says that it sounds like a classis meniscal issue and that the only way to know for sure is to scope it and look at it. He leaves the ball in my court as far as need though.

My new year's resolution is to get it scoped and be done with it. I'm tired of not knowing what is going on. At this point I'm just tired of the aching, stinging, and the popping!

You guys are giving me good inspiration to get it done and ride pain free. Thanks.

consistent default champ
    It has been over three weeks now. I get on the trainer twice a day for twenty minutes each time and do strength training. I am going to try bumping it up to thirty minutes this week. I am going through physical therapy and have a good therapist. She tells me what she wants me to try and really listens to what I tell her about the effect (mostly good, a few bad) on my knee.
    It does get a little better every day (unless I do something to irritate it). I am looking forward to the day when I can ride and do it without pain.
    Good luck when you get it done cocheese.
    Macdaddy are they going to stimulate cartilage growth for you next then?

breathing helium
    It has been over three weeks now. It does get a little better every day. Good luck when you get it done cocheese.
    Good to hear that you are still progressing. I keep hearing people say to stick to what the docs say. Some try to do too much too soon and end up worse off than they were before the surgery.

Thanks. I am going to call the dr today and get on the list. He's a really great dr and was reluctant to do anything but says that it is my call. I couldn't even lena or squat down in the shower today without a loud pop every time.

breathing helium
    Well, I have my surgery scheduled for next week. I'm hopeful that it will allow me to be pain free and thus be more active. I'm actually very excited to have the procedure done because it's been about 10 years coming. I have thought about it a long time and waited for things to fix themselves. This has never happened. I feel that it is the right thing to do given the fact that I have exhausted every other avenue.

consistent default champ
    Good Luck!
    It has been five weeks since my surgery and I am going to try my first ride this weekend somewhere pretty flat. It gets agitated some days but I think in another month I'll rarely notice, except after a hard ride.
    Climbing without pain will be a nice change

breathing helium
    Thanks Brownie. Good to hear that your recovery is going well. I, like you, am looking forward to being able to ride pain free.

mtbr member
    Macdaddy are they going to stimulate cartilage growth for you next then?

I do not know of which you speak??
    most of my stuff was done in '81 so it was a bit primitive.
    had some "flare up" in '00 but no one mentioned anything about cartilage growth..
    at that time it was just hang on till replacement.

breathing helium
    A coworker of mine had a meniscus removed back inthe 80's. Is it true that they thought it was some sort of relic of tissue left over from when the muscles first developed? Seems odd that doctors would think you could take the whole thing out and you would be fine.

My dr. did mention catrlidge stimulation but he didn't think that he would have to do that for me. He said that if he did that I would have to stay off of it for about 6 weeks to allow the tissue to develop without bearing any weight on the joint.

Pain or not, I am going to go for a ride today as one of my last before the surgery.

Fingers crossed, this procedure will allow me to ride more pain free.

breathing helium
    Well, today was the day for me. I started another thread as to not derail this one. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Knee scope done today

consistent default champ
    I went on my first real ride yesterday. I rode 12.5 miles and my knee did really well. It was sore but not nearly as painful as before surgery. I'll just have to keep building it up.
    I unfortunately had to go back to work today also! 8 hours stand on concrete floors in steel toe shoes made it hurt worse than my ride but it'll get there.
    Thanks for your support everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast