Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knee (ACL) Reconstruction......

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lornibear 
#1 ·
I have just undergone surgery for an ACL reconstruction? Has anybody else had this procedure and If so, how long until you were back on the bike?

#3 ·
i had this procedure done about 1 1/2 years ago. they used my hamstring, so i don't know if this all pertains to you, as patellar and cadaver grafts may yield different results.

if i recall correctly, i was back riding (albeit, taking it super easy) probably 4-5 months post-op. probably could have gone back sooner, but i was in no hurry. i'd say i was back riding "normally" on singletrack 7-8 months later. if i had any advice to give, take the rehab super seriously!! like it's a job!! it makes a difference for sure!!

oh, and start the exercise bike ASAP...that is, if it fits with your rehab schedule. make it your best friend!

best of luck! it's a bit of long road, but it all works out in the end. feel free to pepper me with questions if you have any!

#5 ·
Many thanks for all the info. Just to let you know, I had the ACL reconstruction using a graft from the platella tendon. All seems good at the moment, I am getting more and more movement each day. My physio started the afternoon I came out of hospital and I can already weight bare which is good news.

93tankus, many thanks for your input. I will take the rehab seriously. I have already forged a relationship with 1lb of frozen garden peas many times per day. Perhaps I may get the use out of a road bike when able and told to do so.

#6 ·
just had acl surgery (hamstring graft) in early march, four days post surgery spun on a stationary bike. Started riding mid-may outside, single track late May. Patella tendon is a totally different surgery, so best of luck. Now I'm 6 months post and have been riding strong all summer! heal fast

#7 ·
I had the same surgery after a soccer injury a couple years ago. I had to have two surgeries on the knee, one for the ACL and then another to clear out the scar tissue. Every body is different, but biking's pretty good for the knee. It really helped me out post-surgery.

#9 ·
ACL - totally detached.....

two ACL re-constructs...first was government knife hackers, they aligned the knee wrong so i had to have a second surgery years afterward.....back to riding approximately six months after surgery. The exercise bike is my friend, that is the best way to get back in the saddle. oh, and swimming..swimming is the best! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Thankyou all for your experiences of ACL reconstructions. Just to keep you all updated, I am now three weeks post op, and was on the exercise bike (under supervision) at the two week, three day point. It was fantastic to get and do some exercise.

I was lucky in the way my physio had me doing exercises the day I came out of surgery and since then its gone from strength to strength. I am now exercising up to an hour a day from recumbant bike to cross trainer to walking up and down the swimming pool.

My advice to all those who are about to undertake this type of surgery is to get as fit as possible prior and strengthen those legs. The key to success, IMHO is to put as much hard work in prior to aid rapid recovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.