The guy with 5 kids

Kidney Stones!! anybody deal with these???

Spent Monday evening in the Emergency Room passing a 7mm kidney stone from my kidneys through the ureter into my bladder... major pain!! I still have not passed the stone yet completely from my body. I was wondering if anybody out there has dealt with this issue, and how long it took for you to completely pass the stone??? I have gone on 2 rides since and felt about 80%. I can't see another doc until the first week of Jan. Any info is appreciated!!

dave

Forgiven
    The male version of giving birth..
    Agua, Water, H2O-------- Seriously, start wearing your camelbak around the house.... Check out WedMd...
    Sorry to hear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Had the same thing last August. No good way to deal with other than a LOT of water. I was told to stop drinking coffee with cream and sugar, as the calcium builds the little gems. No more Starbucks for me, and no stones since. Cranberry juice and lemon juice are supposed to help break them down too.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Birthing that sucker is still gonna be brutal, but not as painful as when it grinds around in yer guts. You'll know it's getting time to pass when you it blocks or hinders your ability to urinate.

It's been well over 10 years since i passed my last stone. Ever since i've kept myself properly hydrated. We know it's calcium deposits, but doctors still don't have a clue why people get them. The only real thing i've changed from then to now is my intake of Milk and never allowing myself to become dehydrated. My milk intake was easily reduced since around that time i realized i was becoming lactose intolerant as well.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

The guy with 5 kids
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions!!, I have been a coffee junkee this past year (with cream and sugar too) plus been riding like a hound. I'll up the water intake and prepare for birth now any day !! Thanks again!!

dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is calcium the for-sure cause of kidney stones?

The guy with 5 kids
    Gentlemen,

I passed the sucker today @ around 2:00 pm, skookum was on the money when he said I would know when it would be close to clearing. When I knew I was close I started pounding water and then took a percocet. 20 minutes later a birthed the spiked thing... it was unreal.. I caught it in the strainer thing the doc gave me.. it looks like something off of the original Star Trek. I told my wife I should post a pic... but she thought it would be too nasty.. anyway I feel like a new man.. Time get a good ride in before Christmas!!

dave

just along for the ride
    Been there passed mofo w/o drugs, the red instead of the yellow did freak me out but it was a one pass thing. Mine just bounced off the piss cave. I hope it takes another 30 year to do that again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJskeet
    Is calcium the for-sure cause of kidney stones?
    No! You can also get a kidney stone from eatting too much protein(uric acid). I had those about 18 years ago and it wasn't fun. Like Climb-n-bomb I too went to the emergency room cause the pain didn't go away. I later read somewhere that too much vitamin C might cause stones too. Not sure but I cut down my Vit C intake and haven't had any since.

Water is the key! My doctor also told me to take Sodium Bicarbonate.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Man I feel for you, I had one of those a couple years ago and none since, which is good. They say if you can go 18 months after your first stone without developing a second you are doing alright.

My first symptom was a terrible pain in my left side which eventually made me pass out while I was laying in a scolding hot bath. The next two weeks before I finally went to the hospital were pain free except for a constant (I mean CONSTANT) feeling of having to pee. Apparently the stone was sitting in such a position that it triggered that response in my bladder. I would pee, but the feeling never went away.

Eventually I went to the hospital after my second pain wave hit and was given some pain medicine, an abdominal scan, and told to go home and drink fluids. Thanks doc, $4,000 bill for some common sense advice. Anways, I peed it out the next day and haven't had one since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Climb-n-Bomb
    Gentlemen,

I passed the sucker today @ around 2:00 pm, skookum was on the money when he said I would know when it would be close to clearing. When I knew I was close I started pounding water and then took a percocet. 20 minutes later a birthed the spiked thing... it was unreal.. I caught it in the strainer thing the doc gave me.. it looks like something off of the original Star Trek. I told my wife I should post a pic... but she thought it would be too nasty.. anyway I feel like a new man.. Time get a good ride in before Christmas!!

dave
    Congratulations your a dad! haha.

i took mine to work and showed everybody and grossed them out. They were brutalized by the notion that thing worked it's way out of my penis haha. i told everyone i named it
    "pee gravel"

Yah kidney stones are just brutal. i'm not sure if they could ever be fatal, but if you ever go through it, you sure wish you were dead....
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman
    Thanks doc, $4,000 bill for some common sense advice. Anways, I peed it out the next day and haven't had one since.
    Since this is my profession, I happen to know a little bit about these things. First off, I would say that you should choose (if possible) a primary care physician who takes a proactive role in educating you about appropriate use of the ER, to avoid these skyrocketing medical bills. In my opinion, every primary care doc should have a 24hr service to get hold of a doc, like we do in our clinic. Now, something like a kidney stone clearly requires pain control and good advice. Its estimated (by women who have experienced both) that it is equal or worse than natural child birth pain. Also, if you get hydronephrosis (swelling of the kidney) you can have temporary or possibly permanent kidney insufficiency or failure (to that kidney). Regarding uric acid stones, since they precipitate in an acidic environment, alkalinizing the urine helps to disolve them. However, most stones are Calcium phoshate. Since yours were radioopaque (seen on an xray), they are unlikely uric acid, thus to take bicarbonate to alkalinize the urine would likely worsen the situation, not make it better. If it is calcium based, taking lemon juice (with or without sugar, but not the 'fake' stuff) will help to dissolve the stones, and is probably the best action a common person can take. Drinking lots of water makes sense from a biophysical model (more dilute urine is less likely to precipitate stones...think back to chemistry class), however, it has only marginal evidence based data to back that recommendation up with hard science. What would I do? Always drink copious water, drink some sort of natural citrus every day.

Oh, and do NOT reduce calcium from your diet. If your doc suggest this, ask them about the paradoxical effect of calcium-phosphate absorption in the gut and blood/renal calcium levels.

Hope you are feeling better, and remember to strain that urine!!!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the professional advice RDH! Real good stuff. I haven't had one since i quit the coffee a year ago. I don't know if it was the cause, but I figure that I am better off without the coffee anyways.

BTW, I agree with you about the availabity of GP's to their patients. What a concept! When you run for office, don't forget to post so you can get the votes that you deserve!