Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Injury Update-Cleared to ride-finally

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  smw 
#1 ·
Yep I can finally begin riding again. Its been a long time coming, seems like forever. I had a CT scan yesterday, which showed now fracture or damage at all. Well maybe a little arthritis and a small bone spur. He advised I start out easy, if I have more pain in the next week he will do an injection to calm the irritated muscle and joint. So without hesitation I will be suiting up today after work to try out my new roadie on a flat 30 minute easy ride. Hopefully you will be seeing me on the trails in a few weeks, but Ill be with gears for atleast a month.

Sean

#5 ·
dan51 said:
Awesome.
You better stay of the SS for a while. I still need to baby sit it for a day.;)

-Dan
Which one do you want to borrow. Im gonna do a bit of a tune up on the Salsa in the next few days, gotta replace the bottom bracket. The Niner is still brand new and ready to roll.

Sean

#7 ·
dan51 said:
The Niner of course.:thumbsup:
Can I pick it up today? I want to check out this new roadie you got too.:cool:

-Dan
Sure you can, what time ya wanna stop by. I am gonna do a 30 minute road ride at some point tonite. The new roadie is sweeeeeet, very responsive, great handling and very fast, not to mention a much better ride.:thumbsup:

Sean

#8 ·
smw said:
Sure you can, what time ya wanna stop by. I am gonna do a 30 minute road ride at some point tonite. The new roadie is sweeeeeet, very responsive, great handling and very fast, not to mention a much better ride.:thumbsup:

Sean
I can work around your ride schedule, however I plan on going to Demo at around 7:00. I can come by at 6:00.

-Dan

#14 ·
francois said:
Nice! How long has it been since you were healthy?

Fall is the best riding season so don't mess it up by riding too much too soon.

On the bright side, you should have enough honey-do credits.

francois
Its been since the beginning of July. I did a short mellow ride last nite, 25 minutes on the road bike, just around the neighborhood. It felt good to ride no matter how long/short the ride was. My legs felt a little strange pedaling again, not to mention a bit weak and weary. I got leg burn fairly easily, but it was good to get the blood flowing. The new road machine just wants to go fast, very responsive and smoothe. I was a bit sore last nite, but feel really good this morning. Tonite I am planing a little bit more of a ride with a short climb. Usually takes me about 45 minutes to do this loop, and the climb is pretty gradual and only a couple miles. Its kinda demoralizing to lose all the fitness and strength I had, but Im happy to be riding again, and Im sure it will return shortly.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dan51 enjoy Tangina, dont let her take advantage of you.:p

Sean

ps- the new look pedals on my roadie feel way differant then the old shimano's I was running, float is a good thing I think.

#16 ·
rensho said:
Rock on homie! Glad to have you back.

Post some pics of that skinny tire, anorexic, bike you just got.
The Madone is not set up to my liking yet, but I need some rides on it to get a feel for what I like and dont. The cranks are to be changed over to compact, no charge. The stem I am gonna try less rise and perhaps a bit shorter. The bike rocks, way faster and better response. Much more confidence in the corners too. When I stand to hammer it lunges to speed in a heart beat. Much more comfort too.

Attachments

#18 ·
grrrah said:
not sure, but but from the pic, it looks like the stem should be flipped (for the less rise).
Nah, the stem we put on is 17 deg. too steep to flip. I need to go to about 7 deg or so then maybe flip it in a while. Actually its very comfy, but I dont like thelook with the stack of spacers and the 17 deg stem. If I did flip it, it would be a huge change.:eek:

Sean

#20 ·
Ride # 2 is in the books, this time a bit more of a ride. I did my regular mid week road ride which has a little climbing from Los Gatos up and over Kennedy and dont to Shannon. Fun ride, but boy am I out of shape. I also have a douoble ring instead of a triple on the new bike so I had to turn bigger gears, cant wait to get the compact crank set. Over all the ride felt good, and no pain after or this morning. Today I will rest, and sat I will up the ante a bit more. If I can keep on schedule Ill hit the dirt next weekend, on the Yeti of course, no SS yet.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.