mtbr member

Injury Set Backs...Alternatives to stay fit

As I have posted on a couple of other threads, I have been nursing some serious feet issues for the past eight months inclusive of Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. Well, following extensive various treatments ongoing during this time, it has been suggested that getting off the bike will help it. A couple of weeks initially. Ouch...It's killing me mentally not to ride more than putting up with the physical part of riding. It isn't uncomfortable on the saddle, but the pedal stroke is hindering the achilles from healing.

The above said, I know the smart thing is to get rest and get healed. But I am in as good of shape as I have been in three years and am having a hard time with the mental aspect of it. This also has to do with limping around like a gimp for the past three months.

I didn't post to wallow in my sorrows. Although it may seem so...Has anyone had any similar experience that they found some alternative to stay fit. I have another 24 hour race that me and my mates are doing in a few weeks that I can be ready for. But if this needs more than another week or two I am going to be distraught. Maybe I need to see a shrink...

Neil

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take it easy man. Look to next season. Use all of this time to recoup and do it right. You'll be headed down the road of permenant disability if you aren't careful.

Go swimming.

Then go see your shrink.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I second swimming

and maybe the elliptical machine at the gym. You could slow use the time to focus on strength in your core and upper body. Another thing you can do is take a close look at your diet since you cannot ride as much you are at risk to gain weight which would be a crying shame. Be patient. It sucks to be hurt, but if you don't allow time for it to heal you will be dealing with this forever, and it will get worse. I would ask your buddies to look for a replacement for the 24 team. 4 weeks is pretty much a minimum for healing any type of inflamatory condition.

Sorry take the time to rest and get some extra snuggle time
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

CC
    Oct 2004
    I went what your going through 3 years ago and the limping/gimping around went on for about 1 year. When i had it, cycling was the only thing i could do.......once the bulk of the pain subsided i found that riding the trainer was the best thing for rehab. It seemed to restrengthen my foot in all directions. And i did the swimming thing too........if you cant swim then just grab a kickboard.

mtbr member

Cycling not good apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Climb
    I went what your going through 3 years ago and the limping/gimping around went on for about 1 year. When i had it, cycling was the only thing i could do.......once the bulk of the pain subsided i found that riding the trainer was the best thing for rehab. It seemed to restrengthen my foot in all directions. And i did the swimming thing too........if you cant swim then just grab a kickboard.
    Unfortunately, the cycling has been suggested as a potential hinderance to getting back to 100%. That's where the issue is. I have full plantar and dorsal flexion now (sorry if you don't know what that means), but I have to retrain my foot muscles to accept loads using a proper, full step. I could ride and it doesn't hurt to do so and have been since April. It's just that it doesn't allow my heal to get any better due to the dynamics of the injury. Unfortunately, this is the time of year I love being that I live in Canada and our riding season goes from May-October for the most part. Also, I am the captain of our race team, so it would be very hard (at least on the psyche) to step away for the upcoming 24 hour race.

Swimming is a good suggestion, but it presents it's challenges due to times I can go. I am a reasonably strong swimmer and would like to go to a lane swim session. However, the local pools times for doing this is much different than loading up the car with my bike and gear and hitting the trails. Sorry guys, but the cup is only half full at the moment...I appreciate the feedback though...

N.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    If you're not in pain finish the season and then let it heal in the offseason. If you are in pain drink more beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by normZurawski
    If you're not in pain finish the season and then let it heal in the offseason. If you are in pain drink more beer.
    +1

Try canoeing, kayaking or rowing if water is nearby.

mtbr member
    mtbmeister,

My brother had the same problems you have. He is a marathon runer, so you can imagine his recovery was rather difficult. Basically he changed his running style from a traditional heel strike style to the Pose running method, where you try to completely avoid a heel strike. Avoiding a heel strike also eliminates much of the ankle flex that leads to Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis.

This it is somewhat similar idea as your attempt to re-train the foot muscles to accept loads using a proper, full step. At least that is what I think.

So my suggestion for you would be to use a road bike and do lots of high rpm riding with the seat low enough to eliminate any need for ankle flexing on the down-stroke. Also check your cleat placement. The closer it is to the heel, the better chance that you will avoid flexing the ankle.

Of course, it may be best to avoid the 24 hour race (I assume it is the August Hot Nights), but I can imagine how hard it would to pull out of that race at this point.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    I got fallen arches and the associated foot ailments that go with it and working 12 hr shifts in work boots on concrete floors. Can you say "My poor aching feet"?. Cycling is low impact and has never negatively impacted my feet. Never had an achilles issue though. I would suggest a pool and swim. Get exercise and put zero load on feet. Downtime and time to heal though is crucial. Always and I repeat always follow docs advice. Only pros getting paid kazillion dollars should risk reinjury.
    Hang on, Newt. She's heading for the rhubarb.