Thread: Injury Question

mtbr member
    May 2004

Injury Question

About a year and a half ago I crashed and landed on my thumb and sprained the thumb JOINT from the second knucke to where your thumb connects to the hand.
    I did this again recently. Although a small injury, it is persistent. and it's not a
    "hurt thumb", I think more of a joint/tendon issue?

anyway, it took like a YEAR for me to stop feeling it the first time.

Not going to affect my riding, although I do feel it when trigger shifting the front der
    at times, and doing other things. Any advice to heal it quicker?
    I've already iced it, but don't care to take Ibuprofin (which isn't good for you)

Hi!!!
    I had a very similar injury to my left ring finger as the result of dicking around on the climbing well (when we had one). It took about a YEAR for it to be near 100% and even after that when I got back onto the rock it wasn't completely healed. After perusing a rock climbing message board and reading a couple of books, I experienced a very common climbing injury having to do with one of the pulleys in the fingers. The treatment was no rockclimbing or anything else that put alot of the stress on that particular finger, ibuprofen, ice, tape. Coincidentally around that time I began taking Glucosomine/Chrodrotin. Say what you want about it's effects, but it worked for me (especially my knees).

Good luck with your thumb!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Blue Chickens, A Jar of Lube, & A Monkey

I had a hand injury after this incident with a tube of lube, a goat, 8 snakes, and 2 blue chickens, the key thing to do is not to immobilize your fingers & thumb. If you do, scar tissue can form and limit range of motion. It will hurt but move your thumb back and forth from the base of your pinky to extended out, like you are hitchhiking. This is what the Elks PT that specialized in hand rehab, and an snake handler in Wheeling, WV, told me to do when I had a similar injury.

Remember, stay away from the steaming "mud".
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Belay, interesting on the products, I might try them. V, that is what the nurse or PA said to me too, to keep moving, stretching it. Thanks!