Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Injury bl*ws: a non-riding report.

So after blowing the landing on a drop at Keystone last week (causing a nasty dislocation and avulsion tear of my right ring finger 2nd phalange) I've had a sort of forced sabbatical from work and riding.

It's getting old. Granted, my problem is nothing in comparison to what Francois is going through; here's to hoping he heals up quickly!

Both bikes tuned and cleaned? Check. Replaced the shifter cracked in the wreck? Check.
    Replaced and revamped my hydration pack badly messed up in the wreck? Check. (rigged the straps up on the H.A.W.G. so that they work the way the old pack did; lets it ride nice and low on my back without moving around.)

Books obtained from the library, and some beer? (not fromt he library) Check. Various follow up Dr. appointments all set? Check. Grocery shopping done? Check. Car registered? Check.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scrublover; 07-05-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

A friend from my old home of Oregon came into town on a road trip....the day after my stupid wreck. There went our plans of riding. He instead got a nice driving tour of RMNP and the Peak to Peak highway, and lunch at Wahoo's for some fish tacos.

Got in a nice hike last weekend, with Ms. scrub, and Davetoo at least.

Things are looking better. My had is far less swollen, and the wound edges are nicely joined together. I'll pull the stitches out in another day or two. I've got far less pain, and far more movement in the hand. I did wrap some road bar tape around both bike's right side grips, to give me more to hang on to, since I can't quite grab all the way around the normal size grip.

I'm going to try a super mellow/smooth/slow ride tomorrow morning to see how things feel.....more rides to follow depending on how things go.

Otherwise, the last shot is pretty much my plan until going back to work on the 14th.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I spent a ton of time hiking last summer while on the DL too. Nice change of pace, but I sure missed the bike in a hurry.

Good luck on the ride tomorrow.

I'm interested to see exactly what you did on your HAWG as I was considering one of the Wingnut packs to ease the load on my back on longer rides. From the pic it looks like you've just extended the straps where the pads rests on top of your shoulders and the pack sits lower, is that it? Curious to see how it works out, might be something I could try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I spent a ton of time hiking last summer while on the DL too. Nice change of pace, but I sure missed the bike in a hurry.

Good luck on the ride tomorrow.

I'm interested to see exactly what you did on your HAWG as I was considering one of the Wingnut packs to ease the load on my back on longer rides. From the pic it looks like you've just extended the straps where the pads rests on top of your shoulders and the pack sits lower, is that it? Curious to see how it works out, might be something I could try out.

i just copied the wingnut design of the upper strap parts. a few bucks for some 1" wide buckles, and some 1" strapping at REI was all i needed. (other than taking the time to sew it up)

lets you adjust where the pack sits on you back - how high or low much better than most pack systems. much more comfortable to me than the regular way most packs sit. a few more tweaks int he works to get the rest of the pack the way i want. i've done the same thing to a camelbak mule also. works a bit better with the way the 06 model year camelbacks are built.

i really liked my wingnut pack, but the thing was just *not* durable. the pack body fabric is tough, but the construction is not. even before trashing it in this last wreck, i'd already had to repair a bunch of blown seams, and a waiste strap that had pulled out of it's seams, ripping open one of the side pockets in the process. and the mesh side pockets shredded within a few months. no use with the pack any more unusual than any other hydro pack i've had, either.