mtbr member
    Jun 2012

injuries and working

Started biking around 4-5 months ago now and love it to death. But it doesn't take long to figure out that wrecks sometimes just happen. So being 30 and the only income for my family i'm curious what do people do if u actually break a bone? Their is no light duty where i work, so is one able to draw unemployment if something like this happens? Or do u just have to call the bill collectors and tell them i won't have any money for 6-8 weeks

Warrior's Society
    I work in construction, so when I broke my leg 2 years ago, I missed 16 weeks of work. My wife works, but I make way more. Being self employed, I lost 16 weeks worth of pay. Fortunately, I was working part time on a bike shop, so I filed for disability. In 16 weeks of disability, I recieved less than 1 normal week of working my construction job.

Last year when I broke my shoulder......I missed a total of a week and a half.....mostly the time after surgery until I had the staple removed. Was still able to to do my normal everyday job.

With my leg we were able to pay the bills with my wife's income, except for the mortgage....nearly did lose the house. Got a loan modification that helped with the unpaid mortgage.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I purchased short and long term disability insurance. I also ride as though I'm the sole provider for my wife and two kids....since I am!

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm also self employed. After a serious crash last Fall, I missed about 1.5-2 weeks worth of work. After that, I hired a friend to do the grunt part of my physically demanding work. A few weeks later, I slowly worked my way back into the groove of things on my own. Thank God for good friends!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6-8 weeks if you are lucky. As we age, we recover longer. I broke a leg (tibia) last year in 13 places while skiing. No surgeries as the bone held together, but I was in a cast for 4 1/2 months and then another 2 months recovery. I am however fortunate as I can work from home. This year I broke my wrist (mountain biking) and did not know it was broken for over 4 weeks. I even rode my bike 5+ times. No pain, no swelling, but broken - go figure. I have two more weeks to go until x-rays. No cast, just wrist immobilizer. With the wrist, I officially have 39 broken bones. I wonder what's next for the 40th?!
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

mtbr member
    It's been said but see if you can get some kind of disability insurance. Currently I'm into week 3 out of 5.5 after breaking the 5th metacarpal on my left hand and 6 facial fractures. I'm a chef and can't work without my hand. It's not as demanding as construction but you gotta be able to lift 50 pounds and walk all day for 10-12 hours. Luckily I work for a corporation and have sick pay. I call out sick on average once every 3 years so I have a boat load of sick pay. Between that and disability I'm covered.
    I like to ride bikes.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Disability insurance is the Holy Grail. Luckily, mine is a job benefit. Not having to be a provider helps, but there are still "corporate limits" to consider. Though I miss my full job income, I miss riding more.

How can an older person (57) with debatable bone structure debate the overall benefits of mtb? I'll fight for my rights and maybe change my routes, but I ain't selling the bike.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.