Crazed Country Rebel

On the Injured List - Hernia Surgery

Just had a hernia on my belly button repaired yesterday. going to be out for a while.

Who's had this done? I am retaining water around the injury. Is this normal?

Sleeping was next to impossible last night...
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I had inguinal hernia surgery on Apr 23rd this year and have about 3 1/2 weeks to go before I can ride again...Just got off the weight restriction this week.

I had what appeared to be a lump around my incision about 1 - 2 weeks following surgery but since then it has gone away. This was swelling due to the surgery. Not sure if that is what you are describing when you say you are retaining water. If it looks out of place, call your surgeon and he will tell you if it is of any concern or not.

The main thing you want to look out for is a mean, reddening of the area around the incision, the incision area feeling hot to the touch, and pus coming out of the incision which would indicate infection.

If you aren't already taking them, take stool softeners - you will thank me later. The anethesia and vicodin can make you pretty constipated and the last thing you want with abdominal surgery is having a hard time pushing the beast out after being stopped up for 4 days or so.

My surgeon had me on them 3 days prior to surgery and it took 4 days for me to finally get the kids to the pool and it made all the difference. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you get fibre in your diet. Raisin bran works wonders.

I hope this helps.... Sucks to be off the bike so darn long especially with it being this close to summer and your riding friends should thank you and buy you dinner and drinks because you know the trails will be dry because you can't ride... that's how it has been up here in KC the entire time I have been out... LOL.

Heal up soon!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    can't shiit & now this!
    breezy shade