mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Importance of high impact activity on bones

I have heard a lot about how good "low impact" activity is and how a lot of bicyclists shun high impact activities like running, but it seems that research is showing that bicyclists, particularly road bikers, have weak bones and are more prone to injury. I have switched over to running shoes without cushion and after the initial sore calves, I am amazed at how my feet are now acting like springs, absorbing the impact in a natural way, as opposed to the heel strike with cushioned shoes. I mountain bike, backpack, run, and ski. I am 63 (today!) and have worn a knee brace for a number of years, but now I feel like I hardly need to use it anymore, except for skiing. Just wanted to share this, as I think there is a lot of misinformation going around on this subject and it seems everyone I know is getting artificial knees. I always think, "Why are you getting artificial knees? You don't even run. I am the one who has been trashing on my knees for years!"

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Ironic that you bring this up after I suffer yet another running related stress fracture in one of my feet.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    ...it seems everyone I know is getting artificial knees. I always think, "Why are you getting artificial knees? You don't even run. I am the one who has been trashing on my knees for years!"
    Yeah I see so many non-active folks going for new knees and wonder the same thing. I had signs of arthritic knees in my mid 30's but have adjusted my activities over time. Over 15 years ago I decided to give up 'pounding' activities like running and basketball and picked up the slack by riding more. At 58 I still mountain bike 3X/week and ski aggressively every winter. My knees hurt every damn morning getting out of bed but once I get moving I'm fine. I'm probably a candidate for knee replacement but I'm not going there...too many unknowns. Much better option for me to manage the condition knowing I can still ride and ski.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Short-Change-Hero
    Lots of variables that go into it including; genetics, pre-existing injuries (known and unknown), dietary issues, etc. Look for the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. Good information in there regarding how the body adjusts to what you use while running, the terrain, how diet can impact your injury recovery time, etc.

For me, many years ago I had issues with shin splints after I had gained weight during college and had a number of years of being fairly inactive after years of being an athlete. When I read the book, I changed a few things, went to a more natural running stance and posture and found that the shin splints disappeared and have never come back. Back issues were something that also plagued me but making some other adjustments (like minor stretching during the day) has worked wonders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The more I learn about this stuff, the more I think modern running shoes are destroying people's bodies. We are so conditioned to believe all the cushioning and orthotics protect us, but we Americans have more problems with our feet and joints than people in primitive societies that go barefoot or just wear moccasins. All this stuff is locking our feet up, causing heel strike, and not allowing for natural gait, then we blame running on the problem. At least that's my take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have heard a lot about how good "low impact" activity is and how a lot of bicyclists shun high impact activities like running, but it seems that research is showing that bicyclists, particularly road bikers, have weak bones and are more prone to injury. I have switched over to running shoes without cushion and after the initial sore calves, I am amazed at how my feet are now acting like springs, absorbing the impact in a natural way, as opposed to the heel strike with cushioned shoes. I mountain bike, backpack, run, and ski. I am 63 (today!) and have worn a knee brace for a number of years, but now I feel like I hardly need to use it anymore, except for skiing. Just wanted to share this, as I think there is a lot of misinformation going around on this subject and it seems everyone I know is getting artificial knees. I always think, "Why are you getting artificial knees? You don't even run. I am the one who has been trashing on my knees for years!"
    You are woefully misinformed if you are equating strong bones with strong knees. You might want to understand why folks require knee replacement before commenting further.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    You are woefully misinformed if you are equating strong bones with strong knees. You might want to understand why folks require knee replacement before commenting further.
    Thank you for this!
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thank you for the input, as you probably represent the belief of most people. I would not want to suggest that someone with a preexisting condition or injury should necessarily partake in a high impact activity. I do think modern running shoes and orthotics have taken there toll on people's joints, as they lock the foot up and cause heel strike, not allowing for the natural gait and pronation the absorbs impacts. Here is an article I read that might be of interest http://www.skillbasedfitness.com/is-...se-bad-for-me/ There are many others, but that may get you thinking outside the box a bit.

Cycologist
    I'm a trail runner, so hopefully I'm impacting the bones enough to be beneficial while not impacting the knees too much to be detrimental.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Nat
    mtbr member
    You guys, Born To Run and the minimalist shoe/barefoot running thing is almost a decade old and the running community as a whole has moved away from those ideas. It was fun reading but it was embellishment, not science. Heel strike versus forefoot strike doesn't matter as long as you're not over-striding. If you're really interested in this topic then buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Running-Rewir...s=jay+dicharry

DiCharry is a real researcher. McDougal is just a writer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you for the input, as you probably represent the belief of most people.
    Yeah, most people like those Doctor people who will tell you that high impact activities, like running, do not mitigate knee replacements. Most knee replacements are due to osteoarthritis - which is exacerbated by high impact activities. You have it backwards.

As someone who has good bone strength but a really shitty knee, I understand that the knee is complex and itís stability relies on a combination of muscle strength, ligament tightness and amount/quality of cartilage - not bone strength.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    seems everyone I know is getting artificial knees. I always think, "Why are you getting artificial knees? You don't even run. I am the one who has been trashing on my knees for years!"
    1) Most 60 year olds are carrying around 50+ pounds of extra weight
    2) Until recent history, you were pretty fortunate to be alive at 60 and didn't usually complain about a sore knee.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Perhaps you are like me and have had knee injuries in the past. I tore my ACL skiing years ago and had meniscus damage, plus bone spurs developed, but my knees feel better now at 63 than they did 15 years ago. I never take pain medication, and rely on my body to tell me to take it easy or not. Have also reduced sugar intake and other crap in my diet and take anti inflammatory herbs. I telemark ski, mogul ski, run, mountain bike, and do trail work carrying about 30 pounds of gear up and down trails. I do all the "bad" things for my knees, while my friends, who never run or ski as hard as I do are getting knee replacements. You are right- I have it backwards!

Norūwegr
    Weightlifting will improve bone density, don't have to go full Arnold to reap the benefits either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    You guys, Born To Run and the minimalist shoe/barefoot running thing is almost a decade old and the running community as a whole has moved away from those ideas. It was fun reading but it was embellishment, not science. Heel strike versus forefoot strike doesn't matter as long as you're not over-striding. If you're really interested in this topic then buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Running-Rewir...s=jay+dicharry

DiCharry is a real researcher. McDougal is just a writer.
    My thoughts as well.

Modern shoes/boots were not invented to change the "natural" gait. They absorb impact because impact is what causes injury. We're living longer and we need our bodies not to wear out. It's not a matter of conditioning. Cave man human just didn't live as long nor expect to be as athletic into old age as we do now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I do all the "bad" things for my knees, while my friends, who never run or ski as hard as I do are getting knee replacements. You are right- I have it backwards!
    Yes, you still have it backwards and still, despite being educated above, canít understand why people get knee replacements. Itís osteoarthritis dummy. Again, high impact activities exacerbate osteoarthritis.

I do all the ďbadĒ things for my knee (severed the ACL/PCL/LCL/MCL and lost 30% of my medial meniscus 30 years ago) too. The difference is that I understand why those bad things donít have me on the path to knee replacement - I donít have osteoarthritis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I understand what you are saying, but there is kind of a chicken or egg thing going on. There is research out there indicating that impactive activity actually strengthens cartilage, as opposed to wearing it out as is what seems to be the common belief. Sure we all wear out, but I tend to side with the "use it or lose it" philosophy. Research also indicates that distance runners actually have less incidence of osteoarthritis than say, body builders and no more than swimmers. Obviously, if one has an injury, they would not want to do anything that causes pain and further damage, but for someone with healthy joints, impactive activity could actually help prevent injury. And as far as the running shoes go, I find it is virtually impossible to heel strike when running with unpadded shoes. The foot is meant to roll- you know- all that pronation-supination stuff. Us humans, in our infinite wisdom, decided that it is better to have thick padding and stiff orthotics to change the natural movements of the feet. That, and we do all these stupid things like skiing, playing football, and crashing on our bikes which inevitably lead to those injuries that contribute to arthritis. Ok I'm done, now you can continue roasting me...ha, I like the dummy comment- helps keep me grounded! Take care.

9 lives
    I posted this article in the Women's Forum a few months ago. Good info about improving bone density.

Also be aware that some medication can cause the bones to thin

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...M_FB_Nutrition

sauce: Strength Training
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    My thoughts as well.

Modern shoes/boots were not invented to change the "natural" gait. They absorb impact because impact is what causes injury. We're living longer and we need our bodies not to wear out. It's not a matter of conditioning. Cave man human just didn't live as long nor expect to be as athletic into old age as we do now.
    Yep.

I was not necessarily part of the "craze", but I did switch to running in Vibrams for a period of time. If nothing else, they helped me with my running gait. I am now back in shoes, and a smoother runner. I'm not near as fast as I wish I was, not as fast as I should be, but fast enough to be happy with it.