Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Impalement

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TupacAmaru 
#1 ·
...Afew days ago, I was riding the trails and I hit a root causing the handle bars to spear me right in the stomach (3-4 inchs above the belly button actually). WOW - lots of pain and blew the air right out of me! Now i have a little bruising and a small knot in the area. Question:
1)should I get checked out (its just sore but doesnt really bother me [at least not yet]) and how do u know if ur bleeding internaly or you've been internaly:eek: lacerated?????.
2) Exacly which kind of grips could I use to reduce an impact like this again (im riding a FSR Stumpy with factory grips, using cages instead of clips, im a noob)????
3) what are "ODI lock-ons"???

#2 ·
I say get checked out just in case you did something to you pancreas or spleen.. I have some ODI Oury lock on grips and I love them. I bought them primarily because my stock grips kept coming off and it pissed me off. Since getting those they dont turn or come off and i would recommend them to anyone! Oh yea they have a little more rubber to them so its a bit more comfy.

#3 ·
1. If you're asking people if you should get checked out by a doc you probably should. In my opinion as a medic, not a doctor mind you, small amount of bruising wouldn't suggest any serious internal bleeding. A large amount of bruising, swelling, and redness would. A lacerated spleen could cause a critical injury, but you would most likely know it right away.

The only way to know for sure if you have internal bleeding would be to visit the doc and get some pictures taken.

#4 ·
Are you still alive?

Then you are probably OK.

ODI Lock-Ons are grips with a metal ring that clamps the grip to the bar. The metal ring has a pretty sharp edge, and if you land on a handlebar with lock ons on the end, it causes a worse injury than a pure rubber grip. This is my opinion, and I had a lacerated liver to back it up.

After my injury, I switched to a standard grip that covers the end of the bar, and, I put a plug in the end of the bar under the grip to help prevent "core sampling". Some of the new grips with wide ends and thick rubber should be even better.

#5 ·
If you still have the "knot" you described, you should get it checked. This can indicate pooling of blood/hematoma...normally benign unless it throws a clot. Then its bad news bears. As for a splennic lacedration, this is highly unlikely, unless you have already died from the bleeding and have failed to post because of that :p I was punched a few years ago and as a result had my spleen lacerated. I (only a teen) noticed the signs of internal bleeding and asked to be taken to an ER. The mosts noticeable symptoms you will notice w/ a lacerated spleen is a growingl pain, not normally like an injury pain, but like a running cramp. Then you will experience painful spasms as the inflammation and bleeding from the laceration cause a nerve that runs from the diaphragm to the shoulder to become irritated and interfere with lung function. At this point the ER decided to pay attention to me and put my on oxygen to assist my breathing, and morphine to control the spasms and pain. IF you haven't experienced this I think your fine. If your dead my condolences...I hope you weren't buried with your handlebars :p

#6 ·
Im alive!....and riding.

First I would like thank everyone for the replies and all the info. This site is great!! Now as for my status, everything seems to be running normal, but I did end up seeing my doc. My stomach was sore for the next following weeks so I figured it would be in my best interest. "Hematoma" the doctor said. I end up going for an xray and a eco/sonagram type evaluation (yes- I know this is usually for pregnant women. NO, I am not a women NOR am I Pregnant) The xrays showed all was intact inside. I was ordered to rest for a week :( a small price to pay. so.... If anyone wants to ride in the north new jersey side, holla at the old boy TupacAmaru! :D :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.