mtbr member

I'll be off my bike for a little while...

Last Friday I rode my brand new 2015 Cannonadale Scalpel 29 Carbon 3. Friday was a good ride. Saturday's ride I had a crash that nailed the end of the handlebar into my chest. That hurt. I was winded on flat on my back for a few minutes. Those Camelbacks are good to lay down on like that. And I didn't realize how much an accident like that can keep you off a bike.

Then I found out the new meetup group was having a ride the on Sunday. So eve thought I was tired and hurting I decided to join in the ride. So things were going pretty smoothly but then on the advanced section my chain broke! I couldn't believe that would happen on a new bike. So we fixed it. It was lucky for me I had bought a chain repair tool recently. So we continued riding and some time later I had a black-out on the bike. I never felt faintness or dizziness coming on. I just keeled over. I only got some scrapes from that crash and scratched up my sunglasses. All I remember is waking up and a bunch of cyclists around me to see if I was all right. Someone called an ambulance for me. And there was a guy from our local RAMBO group (a division of SORBA) told me not to worry about my bike and he would take care of it for me. he gave me his card but it only had the group's e-mail address. Fortunately the meetup group leader called me while I was still in the emergency room to see how I was doing. So I explained all that to him and about an hour later he texted me withe the guy's name and phone number. After I got home I called him up about it and thanked him. He even told me he would bring me the bike on Wed. So I did get my bike back on Wed. It turns out he was also the guy standing over me as I was coming around.

So the day didn't turn out like I planned but I did have a good time riding with the other cyclists and all the help I got from them when I crashed. I would like to thank everyone who helped me.

So far the Doctors have not found anything wrong with me. Nothing broke, no stroke or heart attack either. Its a mystery. Next week I have to go for a Tilt Table Test and an Ultrasonic view of my heart. I have had black out spells before (since I was a kid, I'll be 60 this Dec.), but they are very rare. The last one was in the mid 80's. So I just really don't feel physically up to riding for a while. I'm sure its really that chest injury from the handle bar that knocked me for that. Those chest muscles do so much and it hurts to do many things so its probably just the healing process of my chest muscles that are making me feel to week to ride right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hopping for a speedy recorery. zw