mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I rode in a helicopter!

I zagged when I ought to have zagged and went over the edge of the single track. I picked the one spot where the weren't bushes to stop my slide and found some very nasty rocks on the way down.

A special thanks to the group of guys who let me ride with them for stopping the bleeding, calling for help, and even locating and retrieving my bike.

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I zagged when I ought to have zagged
    Try zigging next time. Glad you're ok.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Where did this happen?

mtbr member

Re: I rode in a helicopter!

Damn! They sent in the bird to get ya!
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It was on Mt. Wilson on 5/18 at about 12:45. If you need Lat/Lon's, I could probably figure them out. There is a Strava segment called "Airlift to Hospital."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It was on Mt. Wilson on 5/18 at about 12:45. If you need Lat/Lon's, I could probably figure them out. There is a Strava segment called "Airlift to Hospital."
    I was curious as a few weeks back there was a similar situation at Marshal Canyon. Didn't know if you were the same guy. Glad to see your making a recovery and hope you get back on the bike soon if not already

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not cleared to ride yet. I'm hoping to be well enough in a week or two. There is still quite a hole in the flesh. Under the skin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Curious about your bills for the airlift. Do you know how much they charge an hour!?

I heard that if you didn't lose an arm or a leg literally, you'll still lose an arm or a leg FINANCIALLY (burden the health insurance to the max).

I'm self-employed and have to get individual coverage with a high deductible. But even if you're fully covered by a company or a group plan, your future premiums or eligibility gets threatened because of this *major* expense. No?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post
    Curious about your bills for the airlift. Do you know how much they charge an hour!?

I heard that if you didn't lose an arm or a leg literally, you'll still lose an arm or a leg FINANCIALLY (burden the health insurance to the max).

I'm self-employed and have to get individual coverage with a high deductible. But even if you're fully covered by a company or a group plan, your future premiums or eligibility gets threatened because of this *major* expense. No?
    It's got to be astronomical. From what I've heard, between $15,000 and $20,000.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post

I have no good information as of yet. I expect bills to start arriving shortly.

mtbr member

I'm glad you're okay. It always sucks to hear about other riders getting hurt, especially that bad.

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    I've had two "out of network" lifeflights that billed me for about 60K.
    Self employed at the time with high deductible insurance.
    Insurer waived the out of network cost because an in network provider was not available at the time-meaning they dropped the out of network $ to the in network rate.
    After that it was just deductible plus max out of pocket expense and then all was good.
    When it comes to insurance billing, the first in line often gets the biggest payout till the max out of pocket expense is covered.
    Ambulance companies and lifeflights don't screw around and they submit bills quickly.
    I was also able to negotiate a significant deduction by offering to pay everything in full in one transaction.
    Providers will wheel and deal.
    Lifeflight and ambulance were first in line, so they got the bulk of my deductible and max out of pocket-after that insurance covered everything else.
    Rates didn't rise due to claims-just the standard increase from getting older and becoming more of a liability than an asset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Calstar.org. All I'm saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Rates didn't rise due to claims-just the standard increase from getting older and becoming more of a liability than an asset.
    Consider it this way:

Try shopping for health insurance (something we should all do every few years, if only to review what's available) and fully disclose upfront that you're a regular mountain biker. See what kind of responses you get.

I've never heard of insurers considering us "assets."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So what did you break etc?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bruce - Glad you are recovering. I am on one of the SAR teams that responded on your mountain biker over-the-side call. Us ground pounders didn't do much when it was clear the helicopter was going to do a hoist.

I believe the LA County Sheriff's Air Rescue 5 'copter was on the call. In LA County we are lucky to have both LASD and LA County Fire running hoist equipped rescue helicopters with full patient care capabilities. Due to the nature of the call, the rescue was followed by a direct flight to the hospital (Huntington Memorial is the nearest trauma center). Based on my understanding, it is unlikely that you will see much or any charge for the flight to the hospital. If they had landed and transferred you to private ground ambulance it would be a different story.

I am not aware of any private air ambulance company in CA that operates hoist equipped helicopters (there is 1 in UT). CalStar, Mercy Air and others are primarily transport only operations.

I've had some close calls on the section of trail where you crashed. Ate it on the fire road of all places when a tire decided to cash it in. Lucked out and only got some abrasions and bruising.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnrsq View Post
    Bruce - Glad you are recovering. I am on one of the SAR teams that responded on your mountain biker over-the-side call. Us ground pounders didn't do much when it was clear the helicopter was going to do a hoist.

I believe the LA County Sheriff's Air Rescue 5 'copter was on the call. In LA County we are lucky to have both LASD and LA County Fire running hoist equipped rescue helicopters with full patient care capabilities. Due to the nature of the call, the rescue was followed by a direct flight to the hospital (Huntington Memorial is the nearest trauma center). Based on my understanding, it is unlikely that you will see much or any charge for the flight to the hospital. If they had landed and transferred you to private ground ambulance it would be a different story.

I am not aware of any private air ambulance company in CA that operates hoist equipped helicopters (there is 1 in UT). CalStar, Mercy Air and others are primarily transport only operations.

I've had some close calls on the section of trail where you crashed. Ate it on the fire road of all places when a tire decided to cash it in. Lucked out and only got some abrasions and bruising.
    Thanks for the reply and more importantly, for being there to help. My words are inadequate for what you guys did for me.

One of your caribeners was left on my back pack. I'd like to return it.m

Also, I'd be pleased to take a bucket of water and soap and wash the helicopter to show my gratitude. Let me know.

In hindsight, I think my problem was that I didn't have enough momentum (speed) to overcome some rocks and dirt on the trail. I won't get to find out because my riding will be on fire roads for quite a while once the doctor says I can go off pavement.

Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank God you are ok man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrn12 View Post
    Thank God you are ok man.
    Thanks. The wound still looks horrible and is a bit painful, but the doctor lets me ride on flat slow pavement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply and more importantly, for being there to help. My words are inadequate for what you guys did for me.

One of your caribeners was left on my back pack. I'd like to return it.m

Also, I'd be pleased to take a bucket of water and soap and wash the helicopter to show my gratitude. Let me know.

In hindsight, I think my problem was that I didn't have enough momentum (speed) to overcome some rocks and dirt on the trail. I won't get to find out because my riding will be on fire roads for quite a while once the doctor says I can go off pavement.

Again, thanks.
    Glad you are continuing to recover. I have a couple of scars to remind me of some of my mishaps.

If you want to return the carabiner, please send it to:
    LA County Sheriff
    Attn: Emergency Services Detail (ESD)
    4700 Ramona Blvd, Monterey Park, CA 91754

Please include a note indicating the 5/18 date of your accident. They can figure out who was on the crew that day.

Thanks for the offer to wash the helicopter. Include that in your note! You may want to consider a donation to Altadena Mountain Rescue, the volunteer SAR team who covers the Chaney Trail/Mt. Wilson area.

FYI - One of the Crew Chiefs on Air 5 is a mountain biker and helps coach one of the local SoCal High School Cycling League MTB teams.