mtbr member
    Feb 2004

i hope this question goes here sit-ups

Ok I know that they say you should not lift weight two days in a row. This may be dumb but really do not know. Is it ok to do sit ups everyday? Or is better to do them everyother day. I am trying to get my core muscles build up to help back problem.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with working core muscles two days in a row. Just focus on the "6 pack" one day and work on the side of the stomach the next. You need to give muscles time to recover and repair otherwise the fibres remain torn and weak. Dont' stick to the same thing each time either, you gotta change patterns to get results of strength and toning.

If it's your back you are tring to help, core muscles do the trick however you have to work on your lower back muscles too. Strong lower back muscles keep your spine straight and prevent the discs from moving to the point of touching that little nerve that can put you in tears in a split second.

Hope that helps.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Sit ups are useless. If you want to build your core muscles you have to focus on the deeper muscles that steady the core from the spine around to the front (rectus abdominals et al.) If you want to find out more see a physio or a good personal trainer.

Sit ups are as useless as bicep curls. By doing too many sit ups you can do yourself injuries as the front muscles overdevelope and shut out the deep core muscles.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I think your definition of "useless" is different than mine

Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    Sit ups are useless. If you want to build your core muscles you have to focus on the deeper muscles that steady the core from the spine around to the front (rectus abdominals et al.) If you want to find out more see a physio or a good personal trainer.

Sit ups are as useless as bicep curls. By doing too many sit ups you can do yourself injuries as the front muscles overdevelope and shut out the deep core muscles.
    Curls and sit ups "useless"? Surely what you really mean is "curls and sit ups can play an important part in any workout routine if done correctly". Right? BTW, I also do core and incline bench and flies and tris and legs and...

My definition of "useless" is giving people information in the manner you just did.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett