mtbr member

I got released to full weight bearing today! (pics and a vid for ya)

I'm so happy to walk again!!!!

Here's what my leg looked like today:

Once he looked at the x-rays, it went like this.

Hmm..what's the drill all about?

Wrenching things off:

Now it's time to drill...

The bar on the heel was a little dirty on the right side, so instead of dragging it through my heel he:

And the vid as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lemCKYyqfOk
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    congrats - I'm sitting here whining to myself about the staples in my knee from arthroscopic meniscus repair last friday - and you're breaking out the hardware.

Although as a power-tool snob - I can't believe a Dr. can't afford a Porter-Cable, Bosch or a Milwaukee - heck even a nice Craftsman or DeWalt :-P

How long before you can ride?

mtbr member
    I think most peoples' favorite part about this whole situation is the drill brand

I'm not supposed to be able to ride again for at least another 9-10 months. So far my healing has been faster than expected (I wasn't supposed to get weight bearing for another two weeks) so I'm hoping I'll be released to ride earlier than expected. I will not go against doctors orders though, so I'll be picking up a magnetic resistance trainer once my PT starts next month .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    congrats on your progress.....I broke my tib and fib on June 1, 2006 and still have the hardware inside....today I refereed my kid's soccer game and I could not believe I was actually running up and down a soccer field at full speed trying to keep up with a bunch of 7 year olds.

Don't over-do it with the calcium pills, they won't help u heal faster, it will only make the quality of new bone growth better.....you can also get kidney stones because u are not active....On the other hand, since I had ligament damage, I took 1000 milligrams of Glucosamine p/day which is a natural supplement made from Oyster shells, I think this helped me the most.........liquid is better but it tastes like CRAP......so I opted to take the pills...

lastly, don't wait for PT, start NOW by flexing your toes and moving them around and also flex your calf muscle as long as it does not hurt too much....you muscles are mush from not using them you need to make them strong again

mtbr member
    Thanks I've been trying to keep the leg flexing and moving. This cast weighs a ton so I'm doing leg lifts and stuff while standing with my walker. My toes are moving much better than they were while I was in the fixator. I'm looking forward to my real PT (sans cast) in October. First appt scheduled for 10/1.

I'm glad you're doing so much better as well. Makes me feel more confident that I should be back to normal next summer. I really want to ride again

Team Chilidog!
    Whoa! That's a lot of blood from the heel. I'm surprised he didn't elevate yer leg. Nice job on getting out of the fixator. Feels great, eh?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Congrats!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Whoa! That's a lot of blood from the heel. I'm surprised he didn't elevate yer leg. Nice job on getting out of the fixator. Feels great, eh?
    Yes! It's so much more low maintenance now. It's nice not to have to clean the pin-sites every day, and I don't have to use my bone stimulator for as long either. I do miss seeing my leg though. I wonder what it's going to look like when it comes out.

mtbr member
    What did you do to bust it?
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    I went off a jump on the side of a trail and failed to land it on the wheels of my bike.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Yes! It's so much more low maintenance now. It's nice not to have to clean the pin-sites every day, and I don't have to use my bone stimulator for as long either. I do miss seeing my leg though. I wonder what it's going to look like when it comes out.
    Tell me about it. It's been two weeks since my fixator's been out of my wrist, and it's sooo much nicer to not have to clean the pin-sites. I had to clean mine twice a day.

I'm in a removable splint so I see my wrist all the time. I think I spend more time looking at it than my work.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD