mtbr member

I fell this morning on a ride on my left side (update: not broken)

I was riding along and hit some deep sand and fell over, couldn't get unclipped in time, unfortunately my left elbow was between my rib cage and the ground and it knocked the wind out of me and hurt pretty good but I do not remember hearing a crack so I don't think I cracked a rib but boy does it hurt when I cough or laugh (coughing hurts the worst).

I was able to ride back to the car but since I've gotten home and I'm sitting around it is really getting uncomfortable. I'm going to pop some advil and rest for a while.

Anyone know how long this will take to heal? Am I going to be in worse pain tomorrow?

Update: it is just bruised probably not cracked but it may be. He didn't bother sending me for x-rays because it is just one rib and it definitely isn't broken. Still pretty sore and hurts like a mofo when I sneeze or cough or even bend over. I think I must have fallen on something rather than on my arm because of the location of the pain, it is halfway up my rib cage and my arm is not bruised or sore.

On another note, I checked my pedals and found that the left one was set to full tension on one side and medium tension on the other. The right pedal was set to medium tension on both sides. I never checked them and just assumed they would be set the same from the factory when I bought them. This would explain the few times I have had difficulty unclipping prior to this and probably explains why I fell this time.
    Last edited by sandiego; 10-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Just Ride.
    You have have slightly fractured a rib. I'd go get it seen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds similar to an issue I had two weeks after essentially belly flopping straight onto my handlebar which was pointed up... slammed straight into the left side of my rib cage and left my breathless on the ground... I didn't go get it checked out or anything but it was quite painful for 2 days then started feeling better than just went away. I made sure to keep it active and tried to "work through the pain" by doing movements like arm circles and russian twists.

mtbr member
    I'll see how it feels tomorrow. It even hurts when I take a deep breath.

From what I've read there really isn't much you can do for a cracked or bruised rib.

Unpredictable
    True there's not much that can be done, but take any shortness of breath very seriously. A tiny lung puncture from a rib fracture may not present with a lung collapse (pneumothorax) immediately. If you have to fly in the next month you must get an Xray as a pneumothorax in a de-pressurised cabin can be really dangerous.

The way to know if you have a fracture rather than a bruise or minor rib separation is that fracture pain reduces over the first 4 days and then worsens again until day 8 when it is usually worse than day 1. After 6 weeks the daytime is not too bad, but sleep can be a problem. After 8 weeks you wake up having slept well and it's all over and time to break something else (if you are me).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    True there's not much that can be done, but take any shortness of breath very seriously. A tiny lung puncture from a rib fracture may not present with a lung collapse (pneumothorax) immediately. If you have to fly in the next month you must get an Xray as a pneumothorax in a de-pressurised cabin can be really dangerous.

The way to know if you have a fracture rather than a bruise or minor rib separation is that fracture pain reduces over the first 4 days and then worsens again until day 8 when it is usually worse than day 1. After 6 weeks the daytime is not too bad, but sleep can be a problem. After 8 weeks you wake up having slept well and it's all over and time to break something else (if you are me).
    Crap, I'm flying a week from Thursday. I haven't had any shortness of breath though, just hurts when I take a deep breath. I was able to ride the few miles back to my car and even pushed myself. I've felt the area and there is one spot that is fairly tender but nothing that gives sharp pain. I'm just really sore.

Took a pic before the crash.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the world of mountain biking.

I cracked a rib in a slow speed crash (as in 2 or 3 mph) 15 years ago, and it hurt a lot for well over a month. It was kind of funny actually. My buddy and I had switched bikes so I could try out his new ride. Like you...I was unable to unclip fast enough to simply put my foot down...which would have stopped the fall, and I landed on a rock. It was funny at the time. Sort of...

Ridnparadise gave you good advice.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    Crap, I'm flying a week from Thursday. I haven't had any shortness of breath though, just hurts when I take a deep breath. I was able to ride the few miles back to my car and even pushed myself. I've felt the area and there is one spot that is fairly tender but nothing that gives sharp pain. I'm just really sore.

Took a pic before the crash.
    You must get a chest XRay - inspiratory and expiratory views. A tension pneumothorax on a flight could be fatal. Most likely you have nothing serious, so movement, even riding and other sport is possible with a rib crack, but flying is the one risk you cannot take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    You must get a chest XRay - inspiratory and expiratory views. A tension pneumothorax on a flight could be fatal. Most likely you have nothing serious, so movement, even riding and other sport is possible with a rib crack, but flying is the one risk you cannot take.
    I'm flying to Florida next Thursday.

mtbr member
    Update: it is just bruised probably not cracked but it may be. He didn't bother sending me for x-rays because it is just one rib and it definitely isn't broken. Still pretty sore and hurts like a mofo when I sneeze or cough or even bend over. I think I must have fallen on something rather than on my arm because of the location of the pain, it is halfway up my rib cage and my arm is not bruised or sore.

On another note, I checked my pedals and found that the left one was set to full tension on one side and medium tension on the other. The right pedal was set to medium tension on both sides. I never checked them and just assumed they would be set the same from the factory when I bought them. This would explain the few times I have had difficulty unclipping prior to this and probably explains why I fell this time.