mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ive crashed two times in 14 years

Today was the second time

Don't really know what hit my thigh muscle, but it hurts

Coulda been a rock, a huge root or a tree, most probably the handlebar which is what I've seen before with my buddies.

Took a couple of Naproxens, have an ice pack under the lycra along with some Voltaren (Diclofenaco) ointment.

Why and how is probably irrelevant at the moment. Short answer would be: cause I'm an overconfident fool who thought he could break ontop of wet jungle leaves on a technical drop without a penalty. I saw it up front, I came in wide and fast I slipped more like surfed into the trees. The pain!

Any input or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated... other than RICE.

Edit.

Actually about RICE... how do you keep the leg flexed and elevated ?

Edit 2.

Nevermind... I took every pillow and comforter in my house
    Last edited by Arbuz; 02-01-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well if it makes you feel better... I overpulled a wheelie over a rock last Sunday.. and landed on the frozen ground...it would have been softer if I had landed on cement... my butt still hurts...

mtbr member
    Hola crisillo.
    Pues de que duele duele, pero para eso esta el trasero, para acolchonar la caida

Buen lema... yo siempre tengo la boca abierta no se porque razon, para que me fluya la baba yo creo...
    En otra ocasion me brinco un grillo a la boca... el vio la bici que venia, brinco y yo iba con la bocota abierta

Quote Originally Posted by Arbuz
    Hola crisillo.
    Pues de que duele duele, pero para eso esta el trasero, para acolchonar la caida

Buen lema... yo siempre tengo la boca abierta no se porque razon, para que me fluya la baba yo creo...
    En otra ocasion me brinco un grillo a la boca... el vio la bici que venia, brinco y yo iba con la bocota abierta
    Si..pero aun asi me duele... que mal, no?

Ves? Por eso es mejor cerrar la boca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Si..pero aun asi me duele... que mal, no?
    Si estas en CR busca diclofenaco. En EU xtra Icy Hot y Walproxen (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Arbuz
    Si estas en CR busca diclofenaco. En EU xtra Icy Hot y Walproxen (2)
    Gracias.. estoy en Alemania... pero ya va mejorando... aunque si estoy cuidadome...

Big Red
    Youve only crashed 2 times in 14 years??? your not riding hard enough bud! get out there and push ur limits!

Double-metric mtb man
    Heck, Sixty-Fiver managed to find a way to have me to crash twice in one ride! Once via an off-camber waterbar on a curve that he forgot to tell me about until it was too late (I pre-loaded right into it as I was trying to do a last minute hop of it) and the other was as someone left a grocery cart on a section of freshly gravelled MUT (I'm good, but there was absolutely no way I could bunny hop that one!!)

I think that you've been fairly lucky, not riding enough or taking it easy

In terms of you injury. What they are teaching in first aid these days is rest, immobilization, cool and elevation. Same idea, but not trying to fight the swelling with compression...after all, if you are compressing it and it swells, you could cut off circulation, which is a bad thing.

Anyway, hope the leg feels better soon!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    My cat just looks at me wandering why I walk slower than grandma
    I've fallen many times, more than I would want to accept. A bit of blood here and there.
    But to consider it a crash there has to be some sort of bike damage and an incapacitating injury

Trauma
    Quadriceps Contusion
    Misc Bruises
    Bursitis
    Hematoma
    Tendonitis

The bike just need its handlebars properly adjusted, also check left brake lever. Plus whatever I missed. She had a softer landing than I did

How long until I can properly walk!!??

Worst thing is that I knew and I heard the little voice before that section of the trail... "be careful, losta jungle leaves on the way, its damp and slipery you wont be able to brake in time" I went for the OTHER voice... "release the brakes"

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Heck, Sixty-Fiver managed to find a way to have me to crash twice in one ride! Once via an off-camber waterbar on a curve that he forgot to tell me about until it was too late (I pre-loaded right into it as I was trying to do a last minute hop of it) and the other was as someone left a grocery cart on a section of freshly gravelled MUT (I'm good, but there was absolutely no way I could bunny hop that one!!)

I think that you've been fairly lucky, not riding enough or taking it easy

In terms of you injury. What they are teaching in first aid these days is rest, immobilization, cool and elevation. Same idea, but not trying to fight the swelling with compression...after all, if you are compressing it and it swells, you could cut off circulation, which is a bad thing.

Anyway, hope the leg feels better soon!
    Mike- That shopping cart almost took me out and I think you were still a little unsettled from the crash in the forest or you would have bunny hopped that thing despite the gravel and the steep grade. I'm sure I warned you about the waterbar but even knowing that it's there hasn't kept me from almost buying it there on more than one occasion.

The best thing about crashes is when you manage to come out of them with minor injuries and in 35 years of riding I haven't been off the bike for more than a few weeks because of crashes and I have had my fair share of spills on both the raod and the trail.

Arbuz - The thigh injury could have come a number of places as when flesh meets bike, the bike usually wins and handlebars are particularly nasty..
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...Sixty-Fiver, I saw that waterbar before I heard you call..."Oh yeah! Watch out for..*whoof* OTB I went)

Anyway, Arbux, take it slow...if you've taken a good shot to the leg and it hasn't done skeletal damage (nothing broken) then you'll be sore for a while. I'd say that after you're done turning all sorts of wonderful colors (bruising) and you're able to walk more like normal you should be able to start pedalling again. If you heal reasonably well, I'd expect a week to two.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

Hope Toradol

My nurse fell asleep while on duty
    I can't find my Toradol!!!
    Wake up nurse!!!

I did find a picture of where and how I fell
    Reading MTBR watching History Channel. It's a cat's life
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Nurse!!!

Hello Nurse!!!