mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hydrocelectomy = No fun at all!

This isn't a cycling injury per se, but just in case someone else was facing this surgery, here's how my recovery has gone so far.

A hydrocelectomy is the "removal" of a hydrocele, which in simplified terms, is a testicle sack swollen by liquid (like water) that doesn't properly drain. Google it for a better description. My hydrocele was a direct result of a hernia surgery from four years ago. Apparently lots of hernia surgeries can result in the "creation" of a hydrocele.

After four years, my left testicle was about the size of a tennis ball, and riding the bike was getting to be most uncomfortable, so I scheduled the surgery for January 11, 2012 to take advntage of winter down-time.

Surgery took about an hour, went fine according to the doc, and I went home the same day. Everything was swollen, bruised and sore. The REAL pain started the next day when the IV surgery drugs wore off. OMG, it was like being kicked in the gonads 24/7 for about a week. Thank God for oxycodone, which I used for four days. The pain was much worse than a hernia surgery, FWIW.

After four weeks, swelling/bruising has gone down, and the big incision (big enough to remove a tennis ball) in my scrotum is almost healed--not quite. Maybe another week or so.

So it's been four weeks and I see the doc again this Friday to assess my progress. I'm guessing it will likely be 2-4 more weeks before I can start to ride again, and maybe a bit longer. We bought a spin cycle the other day so I can start getting back in shape once the doc says it's ok to do so. This hasn't been fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I know this thread is old, but I am one month removed & still recovering from a Hydrocelectomy. I went on my first ride since the surgery and am sore & a little swollen. The last thing I want is for the Hydrocele to come back & I am looking for advice on saddles & which ones would be best for preventing recurrences. Any other tips & advice for continuing to ride after such a procedure would also be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In general there is a 10% chance the hydrocele will come back regardless of your seat choice. Personally I recommend a saddle with a stubby nose.

I have a recurring hydrocele that first presented after inguinal hernia surgery and a vasectomy. It recurred in under a year. So now I ride with it. I may get it fixed again, but I'll wait for the winter so it doesn't interfere with my riding.

Addendum: I know this is an old thread. But there isn't exactly a large collection of work regarding mountain biking and hydroceles.
    Coaching: http://wgcmtb.org
    Riding: Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Riding: Airborne Griffin
    Riding: Motobecane Cross Outlaw XV

mtbr member
    This is the weirdest time gap for responses I've ever seen. and it kinda hurts just reading about it.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    This is the weirdest time gap for responses I've ever seen. and it kinda hurts just reading about it.
    A lot of people are . . . uncomfortable . . . discussing their testicles, in a frank manner, with strangers on the internet.
    Coaching: http://wgcmtb.org
    Riding: Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Riding: Airborne Griffin
    Riding: Motobecane Cross Outlaw XV