mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hurt your back? Yea, about a week back...

Ok, closer to 2 weeks ago, I really hurt my back. I incorrectly lifted a monitor, not truly my fault, but anyway, I knew I hurt it. 3 - 4 days later, it's monstrous pain, can barely walk around. Finally try to make an appt with my doc, he's unavailable, I go to the er, get some high octane pain meds and horse pill size ibuprofen. I take the day off from work and just do nothing, my back feels so much better. I go back to work, careful about lifting anything, but I notice that the left side of my left foot is tingling and slightly numb. I can feel pain (I pinched it to make sure), and occasionally I lose balance if I put too much weight on my left leg.
    I went to acupuncturist last night, and he confirmed my suspicions that it was probably sciatica. He did his stuff, I felt better immediately and still feels better (my back was still hurting when I stretched it). BUT, the same numbness and tingling is going on, as well as the occasional weakness. Has anyone experienced this? I am really in no pain, but don't like a tingling numb foot for close to a week.
    I went riding yesterday and it actually felt better post ride. I don't want to do any further damage, but since I'm not in pain, I think I'm ok to ride, workout etc... Am I?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

be careful

i am no doctor but i have a friend who is a p.a., worked with a neurosurgeon. when i injured my back a couple of months ago, first qeustion he had was: experinecing any tingeling or numbness?

i was not thankfully. he said that it was unlikly bulging disk if NO numbness or tingeling.

i think you need an mri, xray, something man before you further injure yourself.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like a case of S1 radiculopathy. Probably some kind of disc lesion to the L5-S1 disc. Have a competent physician check it out: chiro, ortho, neuro or someone of that type. MRI will determine the extent of damage and prognosis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When my sciatic is acting up, riding and immediately after is the only time it doesn't hurt. The doctor and PT both agreed that as long as I took it easy, riding was fine, and was probably good for it. I stick to smooth ground when its hurting. In fact my sciatic was my original excuse for buying a road bike. While riding makes it feel better when it hurts, riding in the drops really stretches things out, and the pain seems to stay gone longer after the ride is over.

Probably should get it checked out, but don't let them kick you off the bike "just because" The doctor started that with me, Then the first thing the physical therapist wanted to do was put me on a stationary bike. ********, I'm not paying a hundred bucks an hour to ride a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just went to the doc, and per my symptoms, he's thinking herniated disc going to see an ortho tomorrow, probably get a CT scan (can't have an mri, have a pacemaker), and see where it goes from there. Damn... just when I was getting back into cycling. I was told to stay off the bike, pretty damn explicitly too. This blows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Going in for my epidural steroid injection tomorrow, x-ing my fingers for a positive result. Has anyone had this done? And if it was successful, how long before you're back to normal, or normal enough to ride/ski...

Noob
    Fu(k me... an acupuncturists. Get to a real doctor now....

I had written that before I read all of this post, and it still stands to true. Maybe next time you hurt yourself like that you will think about it and get proper care. Good luck with your injury and healing! It's getting to be that time of year (winter/skiing), and as a fellow skier also, I hope you can get to it as soon as humanly possible.
    Last edited by Trouble Maker; 12-03-2007 at 12:34 PM.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Steroid injections sometimes don't work in the long term.

What was the extent of the lesion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you want some info go to SPINECARE.com, it will answer some of your questions about injections and what not . I'm going through some back issues also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It seems like the injection is wearing off very quickly, getting pain radiating back down my left leg again. Calling doc, not playing any games at all. Good luck to those who have this issue. It's scary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It seems like the injection is wearing off very quickly, getting pain radiating back down my left leg again. Calling doc, not playing any games at all. Good luck to those who have this issue. It's scary.

The plough
    Just be warned that chiropractors are NOT real doctors. No medical degree is needed to be a chiropractor.

Go to a medical doctor and then visit the alternative health care providers if known medicine does not help.

V.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    Just be warned that chiropractors are NOT real doctors. No medical degree is needed to be a chiropractor.

Go to a medical doctor and then visit the alternative health care providers if known medicine does not help.

V.
    Define a 'real' doctor?

I had the same problem except I didn't have the tingling/numbness. Wednesday I lifted something badly and slipped a disc. I couldn't walk, sit or anything without pinched nerve type pain.
    Yesterday I went to a chiropractor and it is vastly better. There is a lot of muscle soreness, but that is to be expected. I expect to have to go back agian for a final adjustment.
    My chiropractor is a legend. Over the years I have been for many and varied reasons and normally require only one visit to fix my condition.
    In my totally unprofessional opinion if brute force makes something go out of joint, similar applied force will be needed to put it back??? How can medicine or drugs help here?
    For example: I walk into his clinic can tell just by looking at my stance (one buttock slightly higher) what is wrong with my hip.
    I acknowledge there may be a lot of bad chiros out there, and a bad one can do harm, but a good one is priceless.
    As for 'real' doctors and there medical degrees... well after much misdiagnosis and prescription of anti-inflammitory pills as an acknowledgement that they have no idea, I no longer go to them.

Don't write off the alternative thereapys ever.

The plough
    Real doctor = a person with a medical degree with proper accreditation and training to deliver health care in a capacity of a "doctor"

V.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    been going thru the same thing. last year i did some damage bunnyhopping a log at speed, felt like i pulled my lower back apart, but no sciatica. the back pain went away after a couple of weeks, always sore, but no real pain. i could do some road riding, but always very sore.
    in may of this year, i was walking my dog when she chased after a squirrel and twisted me around, same pain returned, only slightly worse, so i figured to give the chiro a try. took an xray, and said that i had a bulged disk L4-L5 and signed me up for 3days a week treatment. and honestly, my back felt better almost immediately, but after 3 weeks sciatica showed up, only on my right side thank god, and the pain was worse than the back pain. after 3 months of up and down pain, but no relief, i decided to see a real doctor and he ordered a mri. the tests showed a herniation between L4-L5, and a bulged disc L5-S1, in addition to degenerative disc disease.
    the first day of traction at the pyhisical therapist and i had relief the next day. after 2 weeks of 3days a week, and the pain is still diminishing and retreating up my leg. its still there, but not nearly as bad as it was. i still can't ride a bike comfortably, but its getting better.
    good luck!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Define a 'real' doctor?

I had the same problem except I didn't have the tingling/numbness. Wednesday I lifted something badly and slipped a disc. ...Don't write off the alternative thereapys ever.

If someone is telling you that you 'slipped a disc' this is a very good indication that they have no idea what they are talking about. Discs do not slip anywhere period!! I do agree with you that chiro can be helpful, but remember that a 'regular doc' knows a little about many many compex systems, but not a lot about any one topic specifically.

If you are having a specific problem, go see a specific doc!!!!!! G.Ps are good for physicals...

To the orig poster....

Any radiating leg pain is indicative of a disc injury (or possibly piriformis syndrome). FYI, the majority of people without any symptoms have 'abnormal' discs, so the corelation is not always that good. If you want to talk to a doc whao will actually know what the he!! they are doing with nerve/back/sciatica issues, find a physiatrist. They specialize in non-surgical rehabilitation medicine. A good physiatrist will be able to tell you what level the disc issue is and possible rule in or out piriformis syndrome. If you are having serious pain issues, they can help you with that as well (it can be LONG raod).

I started having L5-S1 issues a few years ago. My regualr dac blew me off completely. Fianlly found a good physiatrist and he knew in 5 min what was going on (later confirmed my multiple MRIs). He got my pain under control and into PT which helped the most. I have had 3 or 4 steroid injection, none of them helped me at all. Generally they are only beneficial if you have some local swelling/inflamation that is making things worse. The steriod will not 'shrink' the disc bulge/rupture/etc. Time can however as you body has some ability to re-absorb this material, but it can take years.

Long story, but I have had two surgeries on this joint, the last one a fusion (4 big ti screws, 2 ti plates, a carbon cage, and a chunk of my illium in there now rather than a disc). The best thing for me has always been controlled activity. Stretching, yoga, (some chiro now), PT have all been and continue to be beneficial. The worst for me is long term sitting.....I still get some burning in my outer L thigh...and most likely will for the rest of my life due to the perminant nerve damage.

Run from your general practitioner, see a physiatrist, and a PT, and get better!

Good luck!

banned
    Sep 2005

V.

Mongoloid.

A "real doctor" is one that listens to you, correctly diagnoses your problem and helps you get better, be they an osteopath, chiropractor, MD, NP, orthopod, neurologist etc etc.

The plough
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii

Mongoloid.

A "real doctor" is one that listens to you, correctly diagnoses your problem and helps you get better, be they an osteopath, chiropractor, MD, NP, orthopod, neurologist etc etc.
    Lol, you my friend are clearly a very well informed individual, and a skilled communicator.

Keep up the good work. Make sure you approach your life and verbal communication in the same way and you'll get far...somewhere...

V.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I am going in for a CT/Myelogram sometime this week to pinpoint the discs (can't have an MRI, I have a pacemaker), so hopefully they will know what to do and where to do it. My ortho asked if I want to take the long and slow route (PT, more shots, more PT, lather rinse, repeat) or if I wanted to be aggressive about this. I am not getting any younger so I said to go aggressive, which means surgery. I've got multiple disc issues and really don't see a workaround.
    I didnt mean to start a "my doc can out-doc your doc" thread. I've been to chiro's and have had great luck. I have damaged discs and they need to be repaired. I want to go the most direct path to that. Thanks again for everyone's input and I'll see you on the trails in the spring (not on the slopes this year tho )

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti
    Thanks again for everyone's input and I'll see you on the trails in the spring (not on the slopes this year tho )
    Sorry to hear that you won't be able to get on the slopes this year. But take your time and heal good so you will have years of riding (bike and ski) in the years to come. This spring and next winter will come quicker than you think.

mtbr member
    Look up Dr Sarno and read his books. I had the same thing. L5S1 heriation.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Lol, you my friend are clearly a very well informed individual, and a skilled communicator.

Keep up the good work. Make sure you approach your life and verbal communication in the same way and you'll get far...somewhere...

V.
    If only you knew, my dimwitted, closed minded MD d1ck sucking friend.

I've never had ANY MD help me with a musculoskeletal problem. However, a PT, Osteopath and Chiropractor...

I guess you're the only person here who's opinion matters. Well that's good, you'll get far in life with an attitude like that. You're not a friend of Karl Rove are you?