Total Goober
    Sep 2009

How to treat nerve pain?

I'm experiencing some nerve pain after ankle surgery. I'm told that it's temporary and probably due to the nerve being stretched during surgery. It's more like extreeeeeme discomfort than pain, but it's distracting and has kept me from sleeping for about 3 weeks. Ambien and booze will get me about 2 hours, but that is just a tad unhealthy.

My current treatment is PT for the broken ankle, massage, ice, and rubbing different textures on the area. I just bought some GABA, in the off chance it actually works.

Anyone successfully treat nerve pain before? I think a scrip for Lyrica is the next step, but I'd like to avoid that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

psycho cyclo addict

How to treat nerve pain?

I frayed a nerve in the right side of my back years ago and there was nothing that would stop the pain (short of heavy meds or drinking excessively). Cold compresses provided limited relief for me. Took ~6 months before the pain went away. Then I had months of physical therapy to strengthen my atrophied upper right quadrant of my back/shoulder :/

Hope the pain goes away soon.

eDub
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Your state just legalized something, that for many is extremely effective and possibly less dangerous than mixing booze and Ambien.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, a few doc friends even recommended that. Drug tests make that impossible, but the symptoms were greatly reduced by lots of Lyrica (and time).

mtbr member
    Ripped a nerve from my spinal cord and paralysed my left arm from the shoulder down around 10 years ago, so i'm familiar wit nerve pain.

It's not good news unfortunately, as there really is not much you can do.

Gabapentin
    Works for some, but you to work up to a appropriate dosage over a couple of weeks.

Tramadol
    Works a treat, but has a fair few side effects and is an absolute ***** to come off if you've taken it for more than a few weeks

Might be worth trying a tens machine, it does work for me some times, but just aggravates the pain others.

Cannabis does work, but more because it relaxes you than as a pain killer

Relaxing is really the key, because it's a constant pain i find that having something to take my mind off it really helps.

Unfortunately alcohol is about the worst thing you can do.
    1/ Unless you get drunk it really does nothing for the pain, and for many folks drinking while in pain just stresses them out more
    2/ When in proper REM sleep our brains will put our bodies into paralysis, at this time our pain receptors shut off.
    By drinking alcohol your stopping your body from going into deep REM sleep and if it does it will not do it for long.

The drugs work some times, but they take a toll.
    Often you end up feeling just as bad the next day because either the drugs still make you feel drowsy, or because they stop you focusing on tasks.

Your best bet is to find something to relax you and take your mind off the pain at night.
    If you have a other half sex really really helps.
    If that's not an option then trying reading till you sleep, or listening to a audio book.

Good luck, i really really really hope your nerve pain is temporary as i know from 10 years of suffering it's an absolute ***** to deal with.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Wow, cbr, that sounds rough! How did you do that?

I got off pretty lucky. My nerve pain is just a fraction of what it was when I first posted. Life is pretty normal again. We'll see if it stays that way when I stop taking Lyrica...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Wow, cbr, that sounds rough! How did you do that?

I got off pretty lucky. My nerve pain is just a fraction of what it was when I first posted. Life is pretty normal again. We'll see if it stays that way when I stop taking Lyrica...
    That's fantastic to read Steve, fingers crossed it gets better still.

My injury is to my Brachial Plexus as a result of a motorbike crash.
    Oddly enough losing the use of a arm doesn't really bother me much, annoys me that i can't ride a bike as well as before and that i can no longer drive a manual transmission car (all my fave cars are manual) but by far the biggest problem is pain.

On a bad day it causes a lot of stress, the more stress, the more pain.
    It's finding something that can reset that cycle at night when there is nothing to take your mind off it that's tough.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7