Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-collarbone_zps3bc0d9f6.jpg

Broke my collar bone yesterday.

How to speed up recovery?

No Stranger to danger....
    Mate, theres no speeding up recovery with a collar bone, ive done the same one twice, you just need to go easy on it and let time heal it, bones do heal very quickly if your young n healthy, so just give it rest, your own body will tell you when its ready to go again, but obviously listen to your Doc, wait the required time and then your a good as gold baring any complications, and any pain in the area or your arm will tell you if theres any dramas after your healing time, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Rogue Exterminator
    I broke my collar bone about 6 years ago in a motorcycle accident. It was clean break but pretty bad where it was completely separated. I think if I remember correctly it took about 6 weeks before I was riding my motorcycle again. I would probably give it a little longer before riding a mountain bike at least before any jumps or going over severely rocky or rooty terrain.

There is no speeding it up the healing but you can hinder it by trying to do too much too fast. Just take it easy for now and use your head when you get ready to ride.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I knew a guy who raced moto-cross and he broke his leg - he was in a cast with crutches. TWO WEEKS after the he broke it he was racing.

I asked what was up - I thought you broke your leg? It ended up that his wife was a Veterinarian and had a goverment contract to fix up eagles and other endangered species.
    He said that he had her give him the same steroids (said human meds are what they give animals) that they gave eagles for broken legs - explained it to me that if an eagle breaks a leg you cannot have it splinted up for 6 week waiting for it to heal - it will lose it's 'wildness' - said the birds were up and going in a matter of days.
    Now I knew this guy played with steroids before he met his wife - so I don't know if he got stuff black market or really from her - But it kind of explains some of the 'amazing recoveries ' professional athletes get from injuries. Ray Lewis this year with his tricep, Adrian peterson with his ACL - in less then a year comes back better than ever.

A quick internet search (steroid bone healing) shows a lot of results. Look up IGF-1, GH and deca

LOL Scottz, so what are you suggesting lol, this place cracks me up sometimes hehehe

mtbr member

Re: How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

Call Lance

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The man says he wants to heal faster. Just letting him know there are options available.
    It is out there more than you think - ever notice how pro athletes pitch / hit better near the end of their career- or when they are in last year of contract?
    Colin Kaepernick - QB for 49ers - put on 40lbs in less than 2 years.

Now there are also 'over the counters' available' with minerals, etc. Some people swear by "Arnica"

Heal Broken Bones Faster with Natural Medicine

DFMBA.org

'Deer antler spray' says Ray.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    The man says he wants to heal faster. Just letting him know there are options available.
    It is out there more than you think - ever notice how pro athletes pitch / hit better near the end of their career- or when they are in last year of contract?
    Colin Kaepernick - QB for 49ers - put on 40lbs in less than 2 years.

Now there are also 'over the counters' available' with minerals, etc. Some people swear by "Arnica"

Heal Broken Bones Faster with Natural Medicine
    I agree that Arnica is phenominal stuff, with swelling and bruising it works wonders, i use it all the time, but it wont help with bone healing.
    Yes calcium and minerals might help a tiny bit, but we are only talking a very minute amount for an isolated broken bone imo.
    If you are young n healthy its going to heal pretty quick imo.
    Until i see a scientific study saying taking minerals after the break has hapend will cut your recovery time by anything more than a miniscule amount i wont believe it..
    cheers

Workin for the weekend!
    How old are you, OP? Age plays a huge part of it... I broke my clav a few years ago, and required surgery to get it all back together. I was holding my kids again within 5 days, the bone healed much faster as it wasn't being stressed day to day. Was on my bike within a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I agree that Arnica is phenominal stuff, with swelling and bruising it works wonders, i use it all the time, but it wont help with bone healing.
    Yes calcium and minerals might help a tiny bit, but we are only talking a very minute amount for an isolated broken bone imo.
    If you are young n healthy its going to heal pretty quick imo.
    Until i see a scientific study saying taking minerals after the break has hapend will cut your recovery time by anything more than a miniscule amount i wont believe it..
    cheers
    Probably will not find much on Arnica since most studies are sponsored by drug companies. My wife use to manage a doctors office - Those Phizer drug reps really knew how to entertain!

See footnote's on studies
    http://www.betterbones.com/bonefract...eedhealing.pdf

Here's a study on Ibuprofen
    Ibuprofen improves bone repair after surgery or a fracture, study suggests

This one is from some place called Harvard.
    Vitamins and Minerals Play Important Roles in Bone Health

Ray's Deer Antler source
    The SWATS Edge | Sports With Alternatives to Steroids
    Last edited by scottz123; 02-03-2013 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the article links.

Your first link appears to be contradicted by the second link though? The betterbones.com PDF says to avoid ibuprofen as it will slow bone healing but then the second link says that ibuprofen is good for bone healing?

Pain relievers and fracture healing
    "Cells damaged from the trauma of fracture release large amounts of inflammatory prostaglandins at the site of fracture. The ensuing inflammation causes pain and the natural tendency is to want to block this painful reaction. In this case, non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs (COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors) might be the medication we reach for to relieve the pain. The use of these COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors, however, can delay fracture healing. As it turns out, prostaglandin‐induced inflammation is an essential component of the fracture healing process, and cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX‐1 and COX‐2) play important roles in fracture repair. These inflammatory prostaglandins are a natural and essential part of initial tissue repair and the initial inflammatory immune response is crucial to fracture healing. Because of this, the use of non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory pain killers (NSAIDs) is not recommended for fracture pain relief. Among the NSAID COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitor drugs to be avoided are aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin, etodolac (Lodine), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn)."
    BetterBones.com PDF page9

http://www.betterbones.com/bonefract...eedhealing.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks for catching that - I must have skipped page 9

mtbr member
    You can get bone stimulators which apparently speed up the healing of broken bones.

In the UK they were recently reviewed by NICE as to whether they work:

Patients using EXOGEN place an ultrasound probe on the skin for 20 minutes a day and the treatment, done at home, is entirely pain free and there are no known side effects. Clinical studies have shown EXOGEN to have an equivalent 86% success rate as surgery.

NICE looked at 17 separate clinical studies involving over 1700 patients and concluded that the clinical benefits were clear: the available clinical data on the effectiveness of EXOGEN for treating long bone fractures with non-union show high rates of fracture healing.
    Pharmiweb.com

UK?s NICE Offers Guidance Supporting EXOGEN Device - News Press Release | PharmiWeb.com

How our Broken Bones Healing System Works | EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System

http://www.healmybone.com/upload/doc...tg12_-_hcp.pdf

It's something I raised with the consultant (UK NHS hospital) about my broken leg a while ago but he didn't seem very enthusiastic about. I'm going to mention it again next time I go back for an outpatients appointment too.

You also have some other new treatments that are supposedly helpful for healing injuries- Regenokine, PRP, stem cells etc. Have a look at this link:

Kobe Bryant, Dr. Chris Renna, and the Regenokine knee treatment - Grantland

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advise folks.

I am 45, coming to 46 soon. I will be depressed if unable to ride for a week. Cannot imagine I will be grounded for at least 6 weeks.

My riding mates told me blood circulation to the broken bone areas helps in the healing process. If I regularly ride on trainers, and put hot packs on my collar bone it may increase blood flow to wounded areas. I also bought calcium supplement, and intend to go under the sun (lucky i live in tropical country) on a daily basis to speed up the healing process. Hope I could ride again in 4 weeks time.

Appreciate your thoughts dudes. All suggestions will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    UK?s NICE Offers Guidance Supporting EXOGEN Device - News Press Release | PharmiWeb.com

How our Broken Bones Healing System Works | EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System

http://www.healmybone.com/upload/doc...tg12_-_hcp.pdf

It's something I raised with the consultant (UK NHS hospital) about my broken leg a while ago but he didn't seem very enthusiastic about. I'm going to mention it again next time I go back for an outpatients appointment too.

Hi WR304, the EXOGEN looks interesting. Where can I buy online? The EXOGEN website does not seems to distribute the gadget to my country. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Are they going to operate and put some plates in to hold the collarbone together? That would be the fastest way to recover, although it isn't risk free.

In 2011 for example Colin Edwards broke his collarbone, had it operated on straight away and managed a podium at the next MotoGP round just a week later.

Colin Edwards gave MCN this X-ray of his collarbone, complete... on Twitpic

Colin Edwards grits teeth to take 3rd at Silverstone

His team mate Cal Crutchlow broke his collarbone shortly after, had it operated on and was back racing the week after also.

That's definitely the exception to the rule though. The problem with having lots of metalwork and barely healed bones is that if you crash on it again in the short term you can potentially make everything much worse. Unless you have to then it's better not to rush back before you're fully healed. Damaging areas where you've been injured before results in increasing difficulties if it ever has to be repaired again (breaking my leg where it had had so many operations on before is a good example. That's wrecked. ) Have a look at this long Pinkbike thread about broken collarbones too.

Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time - Pinkbike Forum

Warrior's Society
    You think 6 weeks is bad.......try 15 weeks for broken ankle.

Suck it up buttercup.

Yes you can rush back and ride before you are completely healed....but risk never healing properly.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

RideDirt
    Get laid on your down time , eat good , and do some cardio . Let it heal in time and properly .

mtbr member
    A little tidbit about Calcium supplements;

Look for Calcium CITRATE. Most stuff you will find is Calcium CARBONATE, which is NOT absorbed as easily by the body. In particular, look for 'Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D'. The D is believed to help in absorption, if I remember correctly. And take it with a BIG glass of OJ, and make sure you get enough Vitamin C, which also helps absorption.

Pubmed sez:

The capacity of the small intestine to absorb calcium salts depends on the solubility and ionization of the salts. These properties vary for different salts, with fasting calcium citrate absorption being greater than that of calcium lactogluconate and calcium carbonate.
    So, that also tells you to take it in the morning, before you eat.

While on vitamins, definitely get a few appointments with a nutritionist and some blood drawn to get a vitamin regime down. A plain multivitamin doesn't always cut it, because not all multivitamins are 'complete', and every body is different with different needs. I take Calcium Citrate with D, a carefully selected multivitamin (it says something silly like Adult Male health for heart and eyes, even though I am a young female with a great ticker. Don't trust the advertising, read the labels), a super B-vitamin complex (better than caffeine, Niacin is no joke. BE CAREFUL!), Iron (ferrous sulfate in particular, which is also more readily absorbed. Most people don't need this, I get anemic. You know it is working cause it turns your poop black! ), and L-lysine (believed to have anti-viral attributes. I used to get lots of colds. )

If vitamins are balanced, it is one less thing for your body to worry about so it can focus on healing your bones!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Having broken many bones from riding and the fact that I am a klutz myself, I have used arnica as well as a Chinese teapill called "The Great Menderer" or "Bone Menderer". Seems to help with the healing for me, but could just be all in my mind. I also find Yoga and Tai Chi helps get the body moving again over time.

If you can find a real TCM practitioner that practices accupuncture, then give that a whirl.
    Last edited by seandm; 02-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-e8ec4667-85f7-4674-8344-f479025eccfb-310-00000067eb7782e4_zps138eeb32.jpg

Thanks for all the advises folks. 2nd x-ray shows that my collarbone broke into few pieces. Only way to speed up the recovery process is surgery. Will be going for operation this Friday to put metal plate and screws.

mtbr member

+1 for seeing acupuncturist and I don't mean a chiropractor or PT who does acupuncture. My wife practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and has cut months also my recovery times, repeatedly.

I would recommend going to see an acupuncturist before surgery to prep for, and come up with a treatment plan for after your surgery. They can help boost your immune system before the anesthesia knocks it down and get your energy level back quicker so your body heals faster.

I argued that acupuncture didn't work for years. But damn if it didn't keep working.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Dab-O-Matic
    You'll get the standard answer from the Docs...bone heals in 6 weeks period. If you mess with it too much you run the risk of a non-union. You don't want that.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I hear Jesus can heal things like that pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Advisable to ride trainer 1 week after operation?

mtbr member
    How did the operation on your collarbone go? Can you move both arms freely? When I had a shoulder operation a few years ago I sat on the turbo trainer riding one armed and that was ok.

My outpatients appointment last Monday went well. Where there was a 8mm gap between the two ends of bone in my left femur three weeks ago it's grown back together already! About 2/3 of the bone is connected with a big lump of new bone on the inside. The outside of the bone isn't joined but I wasn't expecting anything at all. They're going to leave the fixator on for probably another two months, so that more bone can grow and then it has to solidify enough to be strong.

I've been taking MSM Sulfur (Methylsulphonylmethane) tablets 3g per day for the last month. Considering how not much bone growth had happened since I broke the leg last August it was quite surprising how much bone has started growing back in just 3 weeks. I'm moving my leg around easily. MSM sulfur is supposed to be good for lots of things, including joints and connective tissue. It's unclear whether that's what's helping with healing my leg. The leg lengthening procedure of moving the bones apart is supposed to encourage bone growth too, so it could just be down to that instead.

Lifeplan Super Strength MSM Methylsulphonylmethane 1500mg 90 Tablets: none: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

All Natural: Natural Healing and Longevity Resource Center

This link explains how the Ilizarov technique encourages bone growth. This is what is being tried with my broken left femur.

About Limb Lengthening

I asked the consultant about using a bone stimulator to speed up the healing but he said no, as they were discouraged from using them apart from in the worst cases. The reason being purely cost (UK NHS hospital).

Bone fractures: A blast of sound helps bones heal faster and can be used at home | Mail Online

Carbon or Commie?
    Isn't Milk supposed to support growing strong bones?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I broke my collar bone around the same time you did. surgery was last week. Doc said no problem on riding the trainer. Just make sure not to fall. However, I also fractured L1 so sitting is not super comfortable.

I would be interested to hear what your doc says on the matter. How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362277460.346721.jpg

mtbr member
    How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-9f4a6193-31b5-4539-9852-609161d6c19e-3318-000005db35b923d9_zpsb4683f43.jpg

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-bc9d3b0c-2742-44a6-8420-1ba50795b123-758-0000009fb320a385_zpsbddeb4c6.jpg

Thanks for all the advises.

The operation went well. I was riding on trainer one week after the op. My arm was free from sling today, about 2 weeks after op. The spiky pain still there, especially at night while sleeping and waking up. Will be back to work on 11th March, 3 weeks after the op. According to my physiotherapist, I can only attempt to raise my arm straight up 6 weeks after the op. As for riding, my doc advise 3 months after the op. Full strength will be 6 months to 1 year. Can't wait to be back in action again!

mtbr member
    When I crashed and broke my left femur last August I dislocated my left clavicle too. The collarbone itself wasn't broken so it wasn't as bad as yours. All the area around my shoulder and chest on the left side turned black with bruising though and there's still a big lump on top of my shoulder.

Sleeping with a hot water bottle on my shoulder to keep the damaged areas warm at night seemed to help make it more comfortable and bearable.

The shoulder was very weak and sore for quite a long time where all the muscles and connective tissue had been damaged. What seems to be sorting that out is doing light resistance work and shoulder/ chest exercises every day. Rather than trying to get straight back up to the weights that I was at before I've been keeping them low to give the connective tissue time to get used to working again.

The muscles around my neck were sore too. Using a neck sling with a light weight attached (as low as 1 to 2kg initially) and 3 sets of 10 reps is a good way to strengthen the neck muscles again. With the weight attached you bend your neck down and then back up again to work the neck muscles. It's a useful exercise to do for mountain biking in general also. When you're riding offroad on rough terrain having strong neck muscles helps to stabilise your head for better vision and less blurring.

Maximuscle Neck Sling

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, some interesting stuff here. Especially about the anabolic steroids.
    I just thought I would throw this in ... I broke a bone in my back a few years ago and looked into what I could do. I needed something mentally just to help me feel as if I was doing something as there isnt a lot you can do with a broken bone. Anyway I looked into hyperbaric treatment. Its principle simplified is that more oxygen is forced into the capillaries of the crush injury and helps recovery. I think in the US it is pretty expensive per session, like over $100. Here in Ireland I was able to at the time get a discount on it and it worked out about 50 per session. Many people don't believe in it , but for me at the time I felt it helped. I would think the sooner you teat it with this therapy the better.

mtbr member
    It has been 7 weeks since my collarbone surgery. Wonder when can I start riding the trails. Doc advised 12 to 24 weeks. I am getting bored. Meanwhile, ride around my neighborhood to keep my legs' muscles active...

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-101dece7-4dfa-4673-afd5-e63c80332c43-257-0000001fe5ea4b4d_zps4a65b542.jpg

mtbr member

Can you ride like you're injured? Basically meaning ride like a pansy? Do you have the self control not to push yourself? Do you have trails in the area that aren't Pumpy and jarring? Do you know any seven year olds you could go ride with?
    They would dig it and you won't be trying to keep pace with your buddies.

Its your body, its your recovery and it is up to you. Listen to your body verses your brain. Remember that you don't even have to come close to falling to re- injure yourself and double to triple your recovery time.

Good luck and heal fast.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    It has been 7 weeks since my collarbone surgery. Wonder when can I start riding the trails. Doc advised 12 to 24 weeks. I am getting bored. Meanwhile, ride around my neighborhood to keep my legs' muscles active...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101DECE7-4DFA-4673-AFD5-E63C80332C43-257-0000001FE5EA4B4D_zps4a65b542.jpg 
Views:	2392 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	788169
    It's all about not falling and not jarring it. That's what my doc said. He would prefer I not do it - risk. But many people do. I am doing a lot of road riding now - 8 weeks out. But here is what I do: full stop at every intersection. No track stands. And assume everyone wants to hit me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for advise mates.

Besides riding, can I do push-up or some light weights on my shoulder?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am seven weeks from Clavicle surgery (8 weeks from the break) and my PT is strongly recommending not doing weights, or at least nothing strenuous until I have full range of motion pain free. I do three different sets of exercises with minimal weight - maybe one pound - that move the joint in different directions. Total of about 120 reps to give you an idea of how minimal the weight is.

I had an acl replacement, and this recovery is quite different. With the ACL, it was all about how much pain you could bear. With this, she said, it is about getting movement first and then adding strength. Also, I was told, and need to look this up myself, that bone growth really kicks into high gear in the seventh week or so.

Anyway, I am just working on motion. The one time I found myself in a pushup type position, I was in pain the next day. My pt is having me work on range of motion and it is remarkable the strides I am making.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I am seven weeks from Clavicle surgery (8 weeks from the break) and my PT is strongly recommending not doing weights, or at least nothing strenuous until I have full range of motion pain free. I do three different sets of exercises with minimal weight - maybe one pound - that move the joint in different directions. Total of about 120 reps to give you an idea of how minimal the weight is.

I had an acl replacement, and this recovery is quite different. With the ACL, it was all about how much pain you could bear. With this, she said, it is about getting movement first and then adding strength. Also, I was told, and need to look this up myself, that bone growth really kicks into high gear in the seventh week or so.

Anyway, I am just working on motion. The one time I found myself in a pushup type position, I was in pain the next day. My pt is having me work on range of motion and it is remarkable the strides I am making.
    Thanks mate! I got it. Movement comes first then build on strength.

mtbr member

There are some threads on the Thumpertalk motocross forum about collarbones, and what to do whilst recovering from them.

"In every fracture operation there is a race between bone healing and fatigue fracture of the plate. The absolute best way to fatigue fracture the plate is, as happened to one of our guys, to have a repaired fracture, still not healed, absorb a great deal of vibratory stress as on a long off road ride. And this will happen even in the absence of a bad get off.

So the moral of this story is, guys shouldn't be riding until the X-ray shows that the bone is HEALED. Prior to the bone healing, the clavicle will feel pretty good and a guy can easily be deceived into thinking that they are ready for anything.
    While the fix is simple. The broken plate is removed and a new one installed, typically without a bone graft. But, who needs to have a second operation when it may not have been necessary."
    Dr Mark Sanders

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/623...bone-patients/

My last outpatients appointment was three weeks ago, after the initial promising start the bone on the inside of the leg appears to be solidifying but there's still a roughly 1cm x 1cm gap on the outside where new bone isn't growing back.

I'm normally quite good at crashing (lots of practice ). The problem with this crash was that I was still attached to the bike so couldn't tuck and roll. I was trying to accelerate across a roundabout when my right foot came unclipped from the SPD pedal under full power. My right foot flew forwards and jammed between the front wheel and fork, breaking several spokes in the front wheel.

With the front wheel still completely locked by my foot the bike then flipped straight over at 16mph. From the damage spread evenly across the front of the handlebars, brake lever clamps and stem faceplate it looks like the front end was driven straight down into the tarmac.

I landed on my left shoulder, left hip and left thigh, dislocating my left clavicle and fracturing my left femur. I didn't slide at all, just a hard impact. Fortunately a passer by was able to pull my trapped foot out of the front wheel so that I could crawl out of the busy main road and lie down.

My left leg was a mess to begin with. It's had lots of previous operations and a major fasciotomy so there's barely anything left of the thigh besides scar tissue. My left leg is also paralysed from the knee down with poor circulation. When I re-broke the femur it wasn't a healthy bone, imagine a rotten branch, hollow on the inside with a MRSA bone infection just to make it more hassle. With a normal broken femur you can put a titanium pin inside for a quick repair. Because of the bone infection the hospital don't want to risk that as operating would make it flare up again.

Last edited by WR304; 04-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    WR304, that is damn serious compared to mine!

Noted your advice, take care bro...

mtbr member

The main thing with metalwork like the plate in your collarbone is that now it's in place you're trying to make it last. Avoiding any further operations on the collarbone for as long as possible.

As soon as you start damaging your shoulders, collarbone etc you have to be a bit careful with push ups. Push ups put a lot of strain and body weight through the collarbone and surrounding areas. There are different types of push ups, the standing wall sort being easiest, progressing through to the harder "normal" push up, where you're supporting most of your body weight on your arms. If you want to do push ups, only after you're given the go ahead to begin taking more weight on the collarbone, you could begin gently with wall push ups and then gradually build up to the harder variants as your strength improves. After not using the muscles for several weeks you'll have lost some upper body strength, which takes time to recover.

For shoulder and upper body strength I gave up on push ups and pull ups a long time ago. Historic injuries of a bad right shoulder (operated on in the mid 1990s to stop it repeatedly dislocating), shattered left elbow (late 1990s, elbow doesn't bend fully anymore) and now a bad left shoulder from the dislocated left clavicle (August 2012) make them too uncomfortable. Lots of crunching and grinding from the joints.

I prefer to do weight training for upper body strength instead. Using extremely light weights to begin with, and then gradually building up is a lot easier on your joints. By doing exercises lying down like bench press (light weights) and flat dumbbell flys (light weights) your upper body and shoulders have some support from the bench, which helps a bit with shoulder comfort as you strengthen the upper body muscles.

http://gymper.com/best-gym-workout-e.../dumbbell-flys

mtbr member

Speedy Recover From Collar Bone Surgery

I just broke my collar bone 4 weeks ago and had surgery two weeks ago to insert the plate and screws. The boens were gradually seperating and the shoulder was pulling in. I have heard of a couple options to help the healing process - laser therapy and acupunture. Both are advertised as beneficial to increase the blood flow to the area to speed up the healing and reduce inflamation. Will let you know how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-phoenix-20130412-00049.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hymus View Post
    I just broke my collar bone 4 weeks ago and had surgery two weeks ago to insert the plate and screws. The boens were gradually seperating and the shoulder was pulling in. I have heard of a couple options to help the healing process - laser therapy and acupunture. Both are advertised as beneficial to increase the blood flow to the area to speed up the healing and reduce inflamation. Will let you know how it goes.
    Sorry to hear that.
    I feel your pain, take care bro.

mtbr member
    Thx Chris. Speaking of pain, believe it or not the pain is almost zero since day one for the break The rib cage took a huge hit, no borken ribs but massive pain. Luckily that is gone now. Other than that, the only pain I had was for two days post op. Post op, 2 days in a sling and I am good to go with the arm movement below the shoulder and no lifting.... As the swelling is going down, I am gaining more movement. The big pain is being off the bike for so long...... hard to go through the garage and see them hanging there..... Thinking of finding some big boy training wheels to put on the crusier....

mtbr member

Post Op Visit

Doc said it all looks good. No liftingor arm above the shoulder for the next 4 weeks. After that I should be able to rehab.

J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-chandler-20130423-00053.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hymus View Post
    Doc said it all looks good. No liftingor arm above the shoulder for the next 4 weeks. After that I should be able to rehab.

J
    Looks like your surgeon has done a great job.
    Good to go bro, speedy recovery

mtbr member

I saw the consultant for my outpatients appointment. He had the results of the CT scan from last week and decided that the external fixator can finally be removed. Five months with the frame on is about what he thought originally (four to six months).

Removing the external fixator is going to mean going back in for an operation in three weeks time. The seven metal pins for the external fixator are drilled right through the femur bone so it will be under general anaesthetic again to remove it.

Once the pins are removed I'll only be allowed to partial weight bear on my left leg for at least a month afterwards. The holes need to fill in a bit for the bone to strengthen. Because the bone isn't very healthy to begin with it could potentially break at the points where the pins were drilled through. I won't even be allowed to ride a stationary bike during that time.

After that it will hopefully be ok and gradually get stronger over time. I'm not totally convinced the fracture site is healed properly, there's still a gap on the outside and it looks nasty on the CT scan but the consultant seemed to think it was enough bone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    I saw the consultant for my outpatients appointment. He had the results of the CT scan from last week and decided that the external fixator can finally be removed. Five months with the frame on is about what he thought originally (four to six months).

Removing the external fixator is going to mean going back in for an operation in three weeks time. The seven metal pins for the external fixator are drilled right through the femur bone so it will be under general anaesthetic again to remove it.

Once the pins are removed I'll only be allowed to partial weight bear on my left leg for at least a month afterwards. The holes need to fill in a bit for the bone to strengthen. Because the bone isn't very healthy to begin with it could potentially break at the points where the pins were drilled through. I won't even be allowed to ride a stationary bike during that time.

After that it will hopefully be ok and gradually get stronger over time. I'm not totally convinced the fracture site is healed properly, there's still a gap on the outside and it looks nasty on the CT scan but the consultant seemed to think it was enough bone.
    All the best to you bro

mtbr member

My operation date to remove the external fixator is 7 June 2013 now.

That's a bit longer than I was expecting but from Monday's x-rays it looks to be continuing to grow new bone around the fracture site, which is a good thing as there's still a gap on the outside of the femur with no bone in it. The operation is going to be day surgery but under general anaesthetic. Apparently I'll be allowed home the same day.

Not sleeping very well sucks. What I've been trying is taking 5-htp & melatonin supplements together before bedtime. 5-htp in particular seems to work well for improved sleep quality. If you can get some deep sleep you'll wake up feeling better the next morning, hopefully encouraging extra bone healing too.

http://www.gnet.org/5-htp-a-natural-...o-the-unknown/

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...onin-and-sleep

Another supplement that I've been trying before going to sleep is "Wobenzym N". It's supposed to help as a natural painkiller and anti-inflammatory. I'm not totally convinced but short term it seems to help, wearing off after a few hours. It could easily be placebo effect though.

http://www.douglaslabs.com/wobenzymps/science.html

http://www.wobenzymps.net/Wobenzym-Aging.html
    Last edited by WR304; 05-15-2013 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi All, I broke my collar bone almost three weeks now, I just has surgery last Thursday. Looks like everything is going well but sometimes i have these needle pain that come and goes, also around the surgery is very sensitive and numb. Next week they should remove my stitches and hopefully I feel better to move my arm a little more.

my questions are:
    Do you guys still feel some kinda of pain?
    How much you guys can do after you are off the sling? Can you guys drive? Handle a screwdriver? you things like that
    and last
    What do you guys recommend a trainer or stationary bike? ( i am not afraid of riding the bike if i get the all clear from Doc! However i don't want have a delay in the recovery or dont want to risk it!!

Hope you guys are healing faster and doing good!
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast