Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-collarbone_zps3bc0d9f6.jpg

Broke my collar bone yesterday.

How to speed up recovery?

No Stranger to danger....
    Mate, theres no speeding up recovery with a collar bone, ive done the same one twice, you just need to go easy on it and let time heal it, bones do heal very quickly if your young n healthy, so just give it rest, your own body will tell you when its ready to go again, but obviously listen to your Doc, wait the required time and then your a good as gold baring any complications, and any pain in the area or your arm will tell you if theres any dramas after your healing time, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Rogue Exterminator
    I broke my collar bone about 6 years ago in a motorcycle accident. It was clean break but pretty bad where it was completely separated. I think if I remember correctly it took about 6 weeks before I was riding my motorcycle again. I would probably give it a little longer before riding a mountain bike at least before any jumps or going over severely rocky or rooty terrain.

There is no speeding it up the healing but you can hinder it by trying to do too much too fast. Just take it easy for now and use your head when you get ready to ride.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I knew a guy who raced moto-cross and he broke his leg - he was in a cast with crutches. TWO WEEKS after the he broke it he was racing.

I asked what was up - I thought you broke your leg? It ended up that his wife was a Veterinarian and had a goverment contract to fix up eagles and other endangered species.
    He said that he had her give him the same steroids (said human meds are what they give animals) that they gave eagles for broken legs - explained it to me that if an eagle breaks a leg you cannot have it splinted up for 6 week waiting for it to heal - it will lose it's 'wildness' - said the birds were up and going in a matter of days.
    Now I knew this guy played with steroids before he met his wife - so I don't know if he got stuff black market or really from her - But it kind of explains some of the 'amazing recoveries ' professional athletes get from injuries. Ray Lewis this year with his tricep, Adrian peterson with his ACL - in less then a year comes back better than ever.

A quick internet search (steroid bone healing) shows a lot of results. Look up IGF-1, GH and deca

LOL Scottz, so what are you suggesting lol, this place cracks me up sometimes hehehe

mtbr member

Re: How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

Call Lance

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The man says he wants to heal faster. Just letting him know there are options available.
    It is out there more than you think - ever notice how pro athletes pitch / hit better near the end of their career- or when they are in last year of contract?
    Colin Kaepernick - QB for 49ers - put on 40lbs in less than 2 years.

Now there are also 'over the counters' available' with minerals, etc. Some people swear by "Arnica"

Heal Broken Bones Faster with Natural Medicine

DFMBA.org

How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

'Deer antler spray' says Ray.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    The man says he wants to heal faster. Just letting him know there are options available.
    It is out there more than you think - ever notice how pro athletes pitch / hit better near the end of their career- or when they are in last year of contract?
    Colin Kaepernick - QB for 49ers - put on 40lbs in less than 2 years.

Now there are also 'over the counters' available' with minerals, etc. Some people swear by "Arnica"

Heal Broken Bones Faster with Natural Medicine
    I agree that Arnica is phenominal stuff, with swelling and bruising it works wonders, i use it all the time, but it wont help with bone healing.
    Yes calcium and minerals might help a tiny bit, but we are only talking a very minute amount for an isolated broken bone imo.
    If you are young n healthy its going to heal pretty quick imo.
    Until i see a scientific study saying taking minerals after the break has hapend will cut your recovery time by anything more than a miniscule amount i wont believe it..
    cheers

Workin for the weekend!
    How old are you, OP? Age plays a huge part of it... I broke my clav a few years ago, and required surgery to get it all back together. I was holding my kids again within 5 days, the bone healed much faster as it wasn't being stressed day to day. Was on my bike within a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I agree that Arnica is phenominal stuff, with swelling and bruising it works wonders, i use it all the time, but it wont help with bone healing.
    Yes calcium and minerals might help a tiny bit, but we are only talking a very minute amount for an isolated broken bone imo.
    If you are young n healthy its going to heal pretty quick imo.
    Until i see a scientific study saying taking minerals after the break has hapend will cut your recovery time by anything more than a miniscule amount i wont believe it..
    cheers
    Probably will not find much on Arnica since most studies are sponsored by drug companies. My wife use to manage a doctors office - Those Phizer drug reps really knew how to entertain!

See footnote's on studies
    http://www.betterbones.com/bonefract...eedhealing.pdf

Here's a study on Ibuprofen
    Ibuprofen improves bone repair after surgery or a fracture, study suggests

This one is from some place called Harvard.
    Vitamins and Minerals Play Important Roles in Bone Health

Ray's Deer Antler source
    The SWATS Edge | Sports With Alternatives to Steroids
    Last edited by scottz123; 02-03-2013 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the article links.

Your first link appears to be contradicted by the second link though? The betterbones.com PDF says to avoid ibuprofen as it will slow bone healing but then the second link says that ibuprofen is good for bone healing?

Pain relievers and fracture healing
    "Cells damaged from the trauma of fracture release large amounts of inflammatory prostaglandins at the site of fracture. The ensuing inflammation causes pain and the natural tendency is to want to block this painful reaction. In this case, non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs (COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors) might be the medication we reach for to relieve the pain. The use of these COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors, however, can delay fracture healing. As it turns out, prostaglandin‐induced inflammation is an essential component of the fracture healing process, and cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX‐1 and COX‐2) play important roles in fracture repair. These inflammatory prostaglandins are a natural and essential part of initial tissue repair and the initial inflammatory immune response is crucial to fracture healing. Because of this, the use of non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory pain killers (NSAIDs) is not recommended for fracture pain relief. Among the NSAID COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitor drugs to be avoided are aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin, etodolac (Lodine), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn)."
    BetterBones.com PDF page9

http://www.betterbones.com/bonefract...eedhealing.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks for catching that - I must have skipped page 9

mtbr member
    You can get bone stimulators which apparently speed up the healing of broken bones.

In the UK they were recently reviewed by NICE as to whether they work:

Patients using EXOGEN place an ultrasound probe on the skin for 20 minutes a day and the treatment, done at home, is entirely pain free and there are no known side effects. Clinical studies have shown EXOGEN to have an equivalent 86% success rate as surgery.

NICE looked at 17 separate clinical studies involving over 1700 patients and concluded that the clinical benefits were clear: “the available clinical data on the effectiveness of EXOGEN for treating long bone fractures with non-union show high rates of fracture healing.”
    Pharmiweb.com

UK?s NICE Offers Guidance Supporting EXOGEN Device - News Press Release | PharmiWeb.com

How our Broken Bones Healing System Works | EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System

http://www.healmybone.com/upload/doc...tg12_-_hcp.pdf

It's something I raised with the consultant (UK NHS hospital) about my broken leg a while ago but he didn't seem very enthusiastic about. I'm going to mention it again next time I go back for an outpatients appointment too.

You also have some other new treatments that are supposedly helpful for healing injuries- Regenokine, PRP, stem cells etc. Have a look at this link:

Kobe Bryant, Dr. Chris Renna, and the Regenokine knee treatment - Grantland

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advise folks.

I am 45, coming to 46 soon. I will be depressed if unable to ride for a week. Cannot imagine I will be grounded for at least 6 weeks.

My riding mates told me blood circulation to the broken bone areas helps in the healing process. If I regularly ride on trainers, and put hot packs on my collar bone it may increase blood flow to wounded areas. I also bought calcium supplement, and intend to go under the sun (lucky i live in tropical country) on a daily basis to speed up the healing process. Hope I could ride again in 4 weeks time.

Appreciate your thoughts dudes. All suggestions will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    UK?s NICE Offers Guidance Supporting EXOGEN Device - News Press Release | PharmiWeb.com

How our Broken Bones Healing System Works | EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System

http://www.healmybone.com/upload/doc...tg12_-_hcp.pdf

It's something I raised with the consultant (UK NHS hospital) about my broken leg a while ago but he didn't seem very enthusiastic about. I'm going to mention it again next time I go back for an outpatients appointment too.

Hi WR304, the EXOGEN looks interesting. Where can I buy online? The EXOGEN website does not seems to distribute the gadget to my country. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Are they going to operate and put some plates in to hold the collarbone together? That would be the fastest way to recover, although it isn't risk free.

In 2011 for example Colin Edwards broke his collarbone, had it operated on straight away and managed a podium at the next MotoGP round just a week later.

Colin Edwards gave MCN this X-ray of his collarbone, complete... on Twitpic

Colin Edwards grits teeth to take 3rd at Silverstone

His team mate Cal Crutchlow broke his collarbone shortly after, had it operated on and was back racing the week after also.

That's definitely the exception to the rule though. The problem with having lots of metalwork and barely healed bones is that if you crash on it again in the short term you can potentially make everything much worse. Unless you have to then it's better not to rush back before you're fully healed. Damaging areas where you've been injured before results in increasing difficulties if it ever has to be repaired again (breaking my leg where it had had so many operations on before is a good example. That's wrecked. ) Have a look at this long Pinkbike thread about broken collarbones too.

Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time - Pinkbike Forum

Warrior's Society
    You think 6 weeks is bad.......try 15 weeks for broken ankle.

Suck it up buttercup.

Yes you can rush back and ride before you are completely healed....but risk never healing properly.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

RideDirt
    Get laid on your down time , eat good , and do some cardio . Let it heal in time and properly .

mtbr member
    A little tidbit about Calcium supplements;

Look for Calcium CITRATE. Most stuff you will find is Calcium CARBONATE, which is NOT absorbed as easily by the body. In particular, look for 'Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D'. The D is believed to help in absorption, if I remember correctly. And take it with a BIG glass of OJ, and make sure you get enough Vitamin C, which also helps absorption.

Pubmed sez:

The capacity of the small intestine to absorb calcium salts depends on the solubility and ionization of the salts. These properties vary for different salts, with fasting calcium citrate absorption being greater than that of calcium lactogluconate and calcium carbonate.
    So, that also tells you to take it in the morning, before you eat.

While on vitamins, definitely get a few appointments with a nutritionist and some blood drawn to get a vitamin regime down. A plain multivitamin doesn't always cut it, because not all multivitamins are 'complete', and every body is different with different needs. I take Calcium Citrate with D, a carefully selected multivitamin (it says something silly like Adult Male health for heart and eyes, even though I am a young female with a great ticker. Don't trust the advertising, read the labels), a super B-vitamin complex (better than caffeine, Niacin is no joke. BE CAREFUL!), Iron (ferrous sulfate in particular, which is also more readily absorbed. Most people don't need this, I get anemic. You know it is working cause it turns your poop black! ), and L-lysine (believed to have anti-viral attributes. I used to get lots of colds. )

If vitamins are balanced, it is one less thing for your body to worry about so it can focus on healing your bones!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Having broken many bones from riding and the fact that I am a klutz myself, I have used arnica as well as a Chinese teapill called "The Great Menderer" or "Bone Menderer". Seems to help with the healing for me, but could just be all in my mind. I also find Yoga and Tai Chi helps get the body moving again over time.

If you can find a real TCM practitioner that practices accupuncture, then give that a whirl.
    Last edited by seandm; 02-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?-e8ec4667-85f7-4674-8344-f479025eccfb-310-00000067eb7782e4_zps138eeb32.jpg

Thanks for all the advises folks. 2nd x-ray shows that my collarbone broke into few pieces. Only way to speed up the recovery process is surgery. Will be going for operation this Friday to put metal plate and screws.

mtbr member

Re: How to speed up recovery process for broken bones?

+1 for seeing acupuncturist and I don't mean a chiropractor or PT who does acupuncture. My wife practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and has cut months also my recovery times, repeatedly.

I would recommend going to see an acupuncturist before surgery to prep for, and come up with a treatment plan for after your surgery. They can help boost your immune system before the anesthesia knocks it down and get your energy level back quicker so your body heals faster.

I argued that acupuncture didn't work for years. But damn if it didn't keep working.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    You'll get the standard answer from the Docs...bone heals in 6 weeks period. If you mess with it too much you run the risk of a non-union. You don't want that.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I hear Jesus can heal things like that pretty quick.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast