46 20.26%
  • 50-59

21 9.25%
  • 60 or older

2 0.88%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm a dog person

How Old Are You?

It seems that many of us are suffering ailments that are attributed to age. Stereotypicaly, mountain biking is a young man's sport, but I'm curious as to the age of most serious mountain bikers (i.e. those who post here). I'm 37. My wife asked me the other day when I am going to go through mid-life crisis. I told her it would be when the 20-somethings I ride with are faster than me...maybe I should start looking for some slower 20 year olds.

So...how old are you?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

I'm a dog person
    I just saw this thread, How Old are MTBers?, but I already knew most MTBers are out of school.
    Last edited by emptybeer; 04-13-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm 41 and don't know too many folks of any age who ride more than I do.

I've logged nearly 70 miles in the past two days with 40 of those miles being done on my new fixed gear road bike.

Old is a state of mind.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I'am 16 years old. I wish I could stay this age for ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    According to the poll results I am an old geezer who has no right to be riding.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Woo! fourteen.
    I don't see that many kids out on the trail though.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

Is my rear tire flat?

Paranoid

Why are you asking? Who are you? Who do you work for? I did not do it, I swear. Leave me alone.
    Back riding again in Sunny SoCal. Outskirts of Palm Springs.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbennett
    Why are you asking? Who are you? Who do you work for? I did not do it, I swear. Leave me alone.
    Purely curiosity...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think most injuries in mountain biking are caused by not working out in other areas..like running, weight lifting, etc. You have to keep your whole body in shape. This especially counts when bouncing back from falls. Of course, age is a factor in some people, especially those over 60, when it comes to injuries sustained in falls. I'm 29. Last year I rode with an expert mountain biker aged 56 years....and he SMOKED ME on the trail. People thought he was my dad and said, "Your dad is kicking your a**." People who maintain their health overall and maintain a good diet can do this sport probably until about 70.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGNC
    I think most injuries in mountain biking are caused by not working out in other areas..like running, weight lifting, etc. You have to keep your whole body in shape. This especially counts when bouncing back from falls. Of course, age is a factor in some people, especially those over 60, when it comes to injuries sustained in falls. I'm 29. Last year I rode with an expert mountain biker aged 56 years....and he SMOKED ME on the trail. People thought he was my dad and said, "Your dad is kicking your a**." People who maintain their health overall and maintain a good diet can do this sport probably until about 70.
    I've been a swimmer for about 10 years. I will continue to swim because I know I'll be able to do it the rest of my life. I competed in some open-water lake swims where the oldest swimmers were in their 80's. I'm in my late 40's & started mountain biking last year for cross-training. One of my riding buddies is about 10 years older than me (a grand-dad) & a much more experienced MTB'er. I can beat him on a climb or on the flats, but he always catches up & smokes me on the downhills & technical sections.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGNC
    I do quite a bit of the Crossfit workouts (www.crossfit.com) and also row on a Concept 2 ergometer more days than I bike. I was doing a 24 hour race in '99 and met a guy named Alex racing solo - he was 75.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm 32 and happy to be shedding some lbs by riding again. It was far too long since I was last into riding. I've met older guys who ar faster (65'er) than me and younger guys who are slower than me....I personally think it is a state of mind for he most part.

Of course, when it comes to injuries, the younger folks generally heal faster and the older folks generally know better...but that doesn't mean we'll slow down, we just bail at a little different time, dust ourselves off and do it again
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 45 and find I'm riding more and more each weekend. Most of my injuries are from falling off!

mtbr member
    im 19 and when does people start riding ? what kind of riding style did you start with?

mtbr member
    Anytime. I started at twelve, riding AMish XC. Just go out to your local trail and ride.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

Lusus Naturae
    36 here, currently nursing a sprained ankle suffered in a, well, jumping incident.

I hate not being able to ride. This is torture.

mtbr member
    I'm 38. Ride mostly aggressive xc. Most of the guys I ride with are a little older. Like me, most of them started riding in their mid 30's.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by tjishikawa
    im 19 and when does people start riding ? what kind of riding style did you start with?
    I started w/ BMX at 5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I turned 41 yesterday. I hadn't ridden a bike for years until 2004 when I got stationed in Korea for a year and couldn't own a car. The first to weeks, my ass and legs hurt so bad I almost said F*@k this but then the pain gradually went away and I ended up riding about 1400 miles in 8 or 9 months. I sold that one and now I just buil myself another, see beginner forum for build list.

mtbr member
    25 here. The only real show stopper as far as riding goes is my knees. They've been sore since an auto accident a couple years ago. They get sore on occasion (more frequently these days).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    im 13 almost 14 yea im not that old and ive been riding for 3 years already it my 4th this summer

unknown
    Apr 2007
    28, the only thing that stops me is fear. I ride (used to ride alot more) BMX after having a bail go totally wrong on a huge double and consiquentally breaking my jaw, nose, ripping my lower lip partially off, biting part of my tongue off, having some swollen tissue around my upper vertabrae, I slowed down that was 7 years ago I still am afraid of doing the things i used to and for good reason but for some reason I still do more than alot of my friends that are my age

Unstoppable

Never too old to ride.

I'm 47 and I ride more now and am in better ride shape than 10 years ago. I think I've been riding MTB seriously (meaning 2 or 3 rides a week) for about 15 years now; yes I started late. Last year I rode my mountain bikes about 140 times for around 1700 miles. This year I am pace for about 170 rides and over 2000 miles. I ride pretty much all trail types, but I mostly ride single track on my sweet IF single speed. I ride Downieville 2 to 3 times a year, Sea Otter Classic cross country every year, and all the trails around Folsom and Auburn and I am able to get to the Bay Area a few times a year too. My goal of every ride, whether it be an easy local ride, a gnarly downhill ride, or a race, is to finish the ride. The only thing that will stop me from riding is injury or illness. And with that said, I can seriosly see myself riding hard into my 60's.
    "The most important thing about this instrument is the way the air smells when it comes out of these holes" ~Frank Zappa

***** ..we're toast
    I'm 45. I started riding 4 years ago and I'm in much better shape then 15 years ago. I use to run but always hated it. Too boring and the pounding is not so great either. Of couse my wife tells me running was just fine when I come home bleeding all over the place with gnarly scrapes on knees and elbows. Seems like my 9 year old has caught the bug as well, he wants to go and ride every weekend. Lucky guy I am...

Rod
    I'm 22, 4th year of college, and I picked up riding senior year of high school. I destroyed the wal-mart bike I started on and used a refund check to get a decent hardtail. I've had it for almost 2 years now and I love it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast