mtbr member

How often do you get cold or flu?

I truly believe endurance athletes don't get sick as much due to their fitness. From the endurance athletes I know, they don't get sick often either.

How often do you get a cold or flu?

passed out in your garden
    I have asthma problems, and used to get the flu at least twice a year, and it would smash me.

3 years ago l started riding year long, all through winter regardless of rain/hail/snow etc, since then l havent been sick, could be luck but l doubt it.

I have a feeling the body gats into a rythm and mine basically doesnt have time to be sick.

edit: lm no endurance athelete btw
    always mad and usually drunk......

Formerly of Kent
    Very, very rarely.

Haven't been sick with anything other than a minor cold since I had dysentery in 2013.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I get a cold a couple times a year (usually during the winter months) Cant remember the last time I had the flu.

Co Springs
    Okay, here we go;

I recently boasted about how I've only been really down and sick a few times in my 34 years of marriage. I use that time frame because I trust my wife's memory better than mine and I can always ask her. I just turned 56 in late Nov btw.
    Anyways as of that recent boasting, I was stuck down with a solid 4-5 day bug within a day or 2 of my bragging. No stomach illness, just a cough and lung congestion (rsv?) and then fever, chills and breaking fever the first day only to hit me a 2nd time and linger a few more days. Really knocked my on my a** but I missed no work. My wife had the fever hit her twice too. Just got over this a week ago. Nothing like this has hit me for 5 days before. Even a nasty flu bug as I've had a few in those many years hits and leaves within a day or 2.
    I should say that I caught what my wife had and she was at least 7 to 10 days into and ahead of me. Hers lasted longer too.

I'm still going with that few times in 34 years of marriage. As for a nasty head cold, no more than once a year. Recently a few colds felt like they were coming on only to taper off right away and never fully hit. That's been weird but I'm grateful.

All in all, I've been quite healthy all my life and was of slender build into my early-mid 30's. I always thought skinny people were sickly ?

Now at 56, I'm not the 5'11.75" I used to be (I called it 6 foot). I'm just under 5'11" , waist is 36 rounded up (35+ is more accurate) weight bobs around at 172 - 175 #.

I was married at 22 with a 30" waist and 130#
    Holy cow, getting fat and old !!

Best of luck and health to you all !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

9 lives
    I get a cold (usually one or 2 symptoms: combo of sore throat, runny nose, or cough etc.) about once or twice per year. Fortunately, I've never experienced flu. I always get a flu shot for personal protection and work related policy.

I believe being fit and healthy does reduce the impact of the common cold and flu, and the length of infection. I find now that I'm fitter, I get fewer colds, but when I do get one I feel lousy for a day or two and then I'm fine - compared to a week of suffering in my yesteryear and when I was going through aggressive cancer treatments.

An interesting rule of thumb I've heard to determine if you should work out: Symptoms above neck; work out, maybe take it easy. Symptoms below neck; don't work out; take it easy.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have been lucky within the last number of years, really only getting the occasional day bug where I might take an afternoon off or call in for a day or two. Working in my office environment we have a policy that if you feel like you are getting something then stay home as we have had situations where people have come in and within days the entire office is out due to contamination.

I have personally found that if I am less active I seem to get more bugs. I am prone to sinus and upper respiratory infections but even those have fallen more to the wayside than in the past. Comparatively to a number of years ago before we started losing weight, well it is night and day difference. For me, athletic build, in my late 30s now and continually active I find that I dont get as sick as I did when I was in my late 20s, and built like a flabby brick #$%*house. Mind you I went from being 263# on my wedding day almost 10yrs ago to my weight this morning of 175.4#.

mtbr member
    Some pretty good stories to reinforce that staying fit and strong is healthy.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Up to age 40, I never got sick....ever. Now 1-2X a year. i got a throat/congestion thingy the week of Christmas and just last week got a throat/runny nose thingy from a lady sitting beside me on a flight that was coughing her head off. I know it was her......

mtbr member
    I'm like 1 big one year,,but I'm a plumber for the School district and am surrounded by 2 legged germ bags on a daily basis

When I first started with the district I was sick every other month for a year straight, with some kind of cold or something, I now have the immune system of Superman
    Last edited by White7; 01-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    While being fit is certainly open to interpretation it appears keeping yourself "super fit" is actually very taxing to your immune system along with the rest of your biology.

I haven't been sick whatsoever in over 28 years. Not even chapped lips much less a cold. I attribute most of that to my consistent consumption of select supplements. I may add that as I'm getting older, anecdotally, I seem to be aging better than my contemporaries physically and physiologically.

I drink to much, get fat & lazy through the winter, have more than a healthy amount of life stressors etc. On the flip side I somewhat consistently lift weights, ride bikes (along with other hobbies), and generally speaking am excited for life. Lots of factors, belief probability chief among them.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    1 big one a year, and maybe 2 small colds. The big ones the last two years have been some sort of lung infection in spring. I'm really hoping getting back on the bike, getting my diet under control and getting active will help prevent that this spring.

mtbr member
    I was absolutely fine until someone sneezed all over me at Traitor Joe's on Monday when I was trying to buy beer. I ran away, but it wasn't fast enough.

Really knocked my on my a** but I missed no work.
    This is a big part of the problem.

mtbr member
    I drank a lot for 6 years and smoked at least a pack a day. I got one or two very minor colds during that time.

I quit all that and I exercise 3 times a week these days. I eat better and sleep much better. I feel like im sick all the time now! What the hell! Ive had the flu twice this season alone. It's been like this for a couple years straight.

Moral of the story.... Drink up.

Spherical Earther
    Not many colds, even fewer flu episodes. I get a flu shot every year, try to get enough sleep (super important), wash my hands a lot during the season and stay the hell away from people who should have stayed home sick. My last flu was after a KC Chief's football game and three nights at my niece's house (with her sick husband). That led to pneumonia and that led to a month off the bike. Lesson learned? Hotels are cheaper than flus. With good diet, exercise and standard preventative measures my last cold was pretty minor and lasted a week. Keeping the sinuses clear has also proven to prevent colds turning into something worse.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Dances with horses
    I never notice any symptoms of the cold. Whether or not I get it I don't know.

Flu I've had twice (that I think). Once around 2007. There is about a one week period I don't even remember. My wife says she took me to sick call on base, I don't remember it at all. I vaguely remember being in bed.

Last year, the same week as my first big race, I got it. I felt it coming early and called out sick and sat around the house doing as little as possible, hoping to recover before my race. I didn't, struggled through the three laps I got in before being pulled. But I was still conscious!

Cycologist
    I went several years without getting sick but got hit with a bad cold that I'm just getting over, I think I caught it from my son. Besides riding, I'm also a runner but didn't run much in November and December so I have wondered if that was why I got sick this time. I'm getting a flu shot tomorrow.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Practically never, though I'm hardly an "endurance athlete", just blessed with good health in general. Never get more than the sniffles, and don't think I've called in sick in over a decade.
    Hope that doesn't jinx me. I went to see someone in a nursing home that's having their own little contained flu epidemic a couple days ago(2 or 3 people have died, warning signs on the door, just crazy), and am visiting someone who's in the hospital tomorrow or the next day. God-daughter, church members, friends, coworkers-it's been going around big time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I rarely get colds, maybe one every few years.

I've had the flu three times over the past 35 years. Flu season this year really has me nervous because it seems to be killing more people than usual who are outside of the usual risk groups.(46 year old woman died of the flu recently in Grand Junction. Not sure but I don't think she had any underlying health issues) Eventhough the flu shot is supposedly less effective this year than it usually is, I got a flu shot a few days ago. This is the first time in my life that I've ever gotten a flu shot. Think I'm going pay a little more attention to vitamin supplementation this season, too. Maybe up my Vitamin D a bit.

mtbr member
    Getting a flu vaccine actually increases your year after year likelihood of getting the flu.

Study: Prior-year vaccination cut flu vaccine effects in 2014-15 | CIDRAP

mtbr member
    I use to get the flu shot. But I didnít like the way it made me feel. Stopped getting a flu shot 10 years ago, Havenít been sick once.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Getting a flu vaccine actually increases your year after year likelihood of getting the flu.

Study: Prior-year vaccination cut flu vaccine effects in 2014-15 | CIDRAP
    Yup... doctor friend that rides with me and my brother told us this. Basically, once you get the shot you are supposed to keep getting it because of the fact that it jacks up your immunity profile for the Flu. Really it is only recommended for those with high likelyhood of getting the flu due to compromised immune system or those of more advanced age (55+). What he told my brother and I was think of it this way, if you are eligible for retirement and "normally" active then look into it. If you are a couch potato and retired then get it. If you work in an environment where your system is constantly bombarded by illness (e.g. school teachers, healthcare workers, etc.) then you should get it. Otherwise, tough it through possibly getting it, take your normal precautions and soldier on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Interesting. Wonder why the CDC recommends that everyone over 6 months of age get the flu shot every year. Big Pharma conspiracy?

passed out in your garden
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.........

think Rumsfeld and "Tammyflu" (l think it was called)
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No flu shots ever here. I squeeze two lemons on a half full water cup every morning and drink it slowly before breakfast. After breakfast, ten drops of propolis on a half full water cup. Besides that, eating well, exercising, the basics. No flu for many years, donīt even remeber the last one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Interesting. Wonder why the CDC recommends that everyone over 6 months of age get the flu shot every year. Big Pharma conspiracy?
    Anything in a vial that the gov't manufactures ain't going in my body

mtbr member
    What I wonder is why anyone would validate the CDC. It's an organization with a completely disgusting and corrupt past and has proven the same currently.

Short-Change-Hero
    As one of the doctors told us when my mom was dying of breast cancer "there is no money in a cure. That is why you will always have people pushing newer and better drugs."

I try to stay away from anything the is produced like antibiotics or whatever. I am not saying I ever get sick, but I look towards the homeopathic fixes first, if that doesn't kill it then I go see the doc.

Feel like a flu/cold is coming on? Drink a few cups of hot tea (we like the Yogi brand Slim Blueberry Green Tea) with at least an ounce of good Apple Cider Vinegar in it. Do that for a few days and I bet that flu/cold wont be sticking around long.

Dances with horses
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    As one of the doctors told us when my mom was dying of breast cancer "there is no money in a cure.
    That's BS, and a doctor should know better.

There is A LOT OF MONEY in a cure. And we have cured many things in the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Saw this in the news recently. Georgia State University researchers say they've developed a universal vaccine for influenza A. Seems promising but it's only been tested on mice so far. Probably will be a long time before it's available for humans even if it does work.

Researchers Develop Universal Vaccine To Protect Against Influenza A Viruses - News Hub -

Also saw that Governor Cuomo just signed an executive order allowing pharmacists in NY to give flu shots to people 2 years old to 18 years old instead of just to people over 18. Is the situation really that dire in NY or is he just doing PR work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    That's BS, and a doctor should know better.

There is A LOT OF MONEY in a cure. And we have cured many things in the past.
    Thatís not bs. I come from a family of physicians. You are right, there is a lot of money in a cure, but in most instances there is enormous money in not finding a cure. Right now it costs $30 to produce and deliver one flu shot. Letís say 250 million of the 370 million people in the US get the flu shot annually. Do the math. Combined with over the counter flu medications revenue.... why on earth would anyone want to find a cure for that amount of revenue year after year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I truly believe endurance athletes don't get sick as much due to their fitness. From the endurance athletes I know, they don't get sick often either.

How often do you get a cold or flu?
    I haven't had the flu in a few decades. I get one real cold a year...strangely about the same time every year in Nov/Dec. It's weirdly regular.

Compared to people around me I feel very healthy, but whether that's winning the genetic lottery or exercising or the combination I can't say.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm getting cold when I'm not riding

Riding my fat at -10C and no problem at all.
    Sitting home can get cold