mtbr member

How long should a bruised collar bone still hurt?

On February 17, 2007, I wrecked and was injured. I went to the hospital the next day for a check-up and x-rays (the pain was much worse that day than the day of the wreck) and the x-rays showed no breaks or fractures. As a result, the doctor concluded that I must have bruised my collar bone.

It is about eight weeks later now and I still have some pain and visible issues. Pain-wise, I still can't sleep on my left shoulder (which stinks since that's my preferred sleeping side) and I can't use my left arm to scratch my back. I also have a bit of a bump in my shoulder area on the left side - more-so than the right side.

I am lifting weight ok still - can do pull ups, I have been riding a lot (took two weeks off following the wreck) and things are normal except for the two major issues above. Is this normal or should I be scheduling for a second opinion?

Thanks.
    :wq

I'm a dog person
    I shattered my collar bone and I was 100% - no pain and all fully mobile - in about 11 weeks. I do still have a big bump, though.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    On February 17, 2007, I wrecked and was injured. I went to the hospital the next day for a check-up and x-rays (the pain was much worse that day than the day of the wreck) and the x-rays showed no breaks or fractures. As a result, the doctor concluded that I must have bruised my collar bone.

It is about eight weeks later now and I still have some pain and visible issues. Pain-wise, I still can't sleep on my left shoulder (which stinks since that's my preferred sleeping side) and I can't use my left arm to scratch my back. I also have a bit of a bump in my shoulder area on the left side - more-so than the right side.

I am lifting weight ok still - can do pull ups, I have been riding a lot (took two weeks off following the wreck) and things are normal except for the two major issues above. Is this normal or should I be scheduling for a second opinion?

Thanks.
    Second opinion with the original set of X-Rays seems a good idea. From the symptoms you're describing sounds more like an acromioclavicular or rotator cuff issue (quite a broad statement but a shoulder is a complex joint and difficult to diagnose without the person infront of you). Hairline fracture(s) could not be ruled out after a crush but 8 weeks later should have healed even if you didn't take care of it ie: weight lifting etc. In anycase 8 weeks down the line soft tissue healing is pretty much done and now you have the instability and specific strengthening issues to deal with, so... check with a good sports doc, physio or osteo and don't let an injury become a chronic problem. Take care.