mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How long does a broken hand keep you out

I broke my hand in december. I had a cast for over 3 weeks and now I have a brace/soft cast over my hand. I still cant straighten my finger and it is still swollen. I know that even if I get an ok to take the brace off, I will still need time to get my strength and flexibility/full movement back.

How long will it be before I am comfortable again.

I miss my trails.

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    It's the end of Jan. now, you should be steadily getting better. I broke my wrist seriously 5 months ago and my nerves got all jumbled up, and I am just now in the middle of Feb. starting to get my feeling back. Good luck on the road to recovery! Now just focus on moving your arm, rehab is wonderful

Shredder111

another bozo on the bus
    I have had 3 boxers fractures, which is in the bone on the outside of the hand, and it was about 2 months before I felt ok the really grip the bars again. 6-8 weeks has been the norm for any of my bones to heal, but of course it will take time to get the strength in that wrist back since it has been in a splint, so dont hop right on the bike and go jumping. The strength comes back surprisingly quick. Of course if you have damaged any tendons or ligaments you could be doing some serious time. I broke my tibia some years ago and made a big mess of my knee and was back on the bike after 2 operations and 9 months PT.