mtbr member
    Oct 2007

How long did it take...(broken leg)

I did a serious number on my leg where I broke both bones in my lower leg and the bigger one twice and shattered it a bit.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had a real bad broken leg and how long did it take to get back to riding?
    Crip~

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not me but

this guy's got a story to tell:

My Summer Is Over :(
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Kinda looked like my leg but I think my xray pic is worse. They had to cut open my knee and shove a rod down my leg and put 3 pins in.

But after reading that, I guess I joined the lost summer club too
    Crip~

mtbr member
    Hi. I stay out of here for the most part - it kinda hurts to come back, but I saw your thread. If it helps, I was off my bike for seven months, and only then was allowed limited riding. Your recovery will be different than mine though since you got an IM rod and I just had the plate on the fib + screws in the tib and the ex fix. The cool thing about the IM rod is that it in some cases will get you on your feet sooner than if you didn't have it since it takes the weight bearing duties until your bone heals.

Depending on how long you're immobilized will affect how much muscle and ROM you lose in your leg. I was immobilized only below the knee, so I had no issues with the knee, however when I got out of the cast I couldn't even move my ankle, and my leg muscle was all but gone. It was slow going at first, but once some muscle started coming back, I was able to do more, walk further, faster, and the muscle started coming back quicker. Once I started riding a lot again...wow. At this point I'm about 10 months out. I still get some minor pain in my ankle, which may persist forever, I'm not sure. My ankle still doesn't move all the way like it used to, and like my other leg does, but my doctor said that could take another 8-10 months before I am done recovering. By that he means, in 8-10 months I'll know how much of my original ROM I'm going to get back - it may be all of it, it may not. As it stands now though, there's nothing I can't do that I couldn't before except run, though that's coming back too.

You'll get there dude. Check out my page (in my sig) and you can read my story, see all my pics from the whole thing, all my updates, etc, etc. If you have any specific questions, post them, PM me or email me.
    :wq

mtbr member
    I managed to break my leg in about 7 spots--shattered the tibia in 3 spots and the fibula in 4 spots (both were spiral fractures) when I went around a switchback too fast, my tires lost their edge, bike slipped out from under me, and my pedal and foot dug into the ground as my bike kept going (yeah, I was stupid and had my inside pedal down for some reason). Anyway, my foot was facing backwards when all was said and done. Didn't need to get any rods put in, but did end up with 2 plates and 20 something screws holding everything together. So, the whole point of this was to say that I was off my feet for about 5 months, and didn't even get back on a bike for about 10 months. A lot depends on your tolerance for pain coming back (because there will be some pain), and how much the muscles in your leg atrophy--most of my rehab dealt with getting the muscle back in my calf and thigh, which sucked. So, there's my 2 cents.
    Killing is my business...and business is good

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Broken femur, 8 operations, 3+ years recovery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

CripTik let us know how you're doing

Have the docs given you any headsup on your recovery time?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett