Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

how to heal shoulder injury quickly

was wondering if anyone knew anything i could do other than rest and stay off it. i fell on it a couple days ago and its still pretty painful. i can go through a little of my range of motion no problem but the rest really hurts and i cant pick anything up with corresponding hand. should i ues hot or cold on it or just ib profein and rest?

mtbr member
    i just went over the bars and dislocated the right shoulder. i could not do anything for about a month. i started physical therapy and it is helping greatly. they do some stretching and range of motion exercises. the therapist stretches the muscles. the impact cause a bunch of them to spazz and get too tight. the tightness was impairing the tendons' ability to heal. you may have something similar.

ice the hell out it. take advil or something similar. my bud is a medic in the military and he explained that the injury generates swelling (duh). the swelling is fluid other than blood. this fluid prevents the blood from getting to the damaged parts to start the repair process. the purpose of the fluid is to act as a cushion to prevent more damage, but it slows the healing process. taking advil will reduce the swelling and get the blood to the damaged areas, which is what you want.

i lost range of motion, so the therapy is key. since you have the range, just with pain, you may be able to get away without therapy. just give it some time.

i ended up buying a stationary trainer so that i could pedal in my livingroom while things get better. it is kinda lame. but it is kinda cool to be able to pedal and watch tv. it cost me $100. it was worth it to me to be able to keep "riding" till my shoulder can handle real ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    dude im sorry about that, that sucks. i really hope i dont have something like that. i was riding with a freind who checked me out (hes in military) right after the crash and said it wasnt dislocated. thanks for advice *submits message and goes to get bag of ice*

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    just took ice off of it and it feels like tenderized meat. however, i think it did reduce some swelling

Glad to Be Alive
    Ice is real nice. Try not to move it the first few days
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    affirmative, i have resisted moving. however the lastcouple nights i think i rolled over on it in my sleep and it was painful enough to wake me up , and very unpleasantly i m ight add

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bbowman88
    affirmative, i have resisted moving. however the lastcouple nights i think i rolled over on it in my sleep and it was painful enough to wake me up , and very unpleasantly i m ight add
    You should see a doctor...get some vicodin and take them with advil...good stuff
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    will my doctor give me a vicodin prescription if its just damaged and needs to heal by itself? one time that bastard held out on me when i had an ankle that was possibly broken but they couldnt tell from xrays. it was more painful than this is

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Stick w/the ice for sure. I had/have a level 3 collar bone seperation & after I started therapy, ( which btw is worth it ), the therapist "iced my shoulder down" for about 10-15 mins. after every session, it does wonders for inflamation. Especially "after 40". Therapy & ice down after, no substitute for it. i would've rather have had a broken c-bone than seperated, breaks heal better.

you can toss that .02 in the pennydish if you want.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks, 2 cents are in dish. by "after 40" do you mean after 40mins?

SNOWRIDER
    Just takes time man don't push it if it is a bad one
    unfortunatly the older you get the longer it takes
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

soviet pride
    learn to sleep the whole night on your back, i know its hard to do but i learned how when i broke my clavicle (collar). I also had to wear one of those figure-8 things to make sure my bone grew back correctly, which it did somewhat. Its not noticable but looked at closely my left shoulder is slightly shorter than my right. if u go to school, dont wear a backpack strap on that shoulder especially if the backpack is heavy. But in any case, take it easy for a while and hopefully u get better soon.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    .......get some vicodin and take them with advil...good stuff
    ...and get a 12 pack of your favorite flavor with a 5th of Wild Turkey, then wait for your liver to fail..............
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Former Noob Herder
    that sucks man.

Patience is virtue though. That, or morphine and steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    ...and get a 12 pack of your favorite flavor with a 5th of Wild Turkey, then wait for your liver to fail..............
    tequila

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I seperated my sholder twice within a year back in 96. & it still bothers me when I sleep. A friends was so bad his would dislocate when he would roll over on it wrong sleeping. does it hang lower now.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    thanks, 2 cents are in dish. by "after 40" do you mean after 40mins?

"40 yrs old" I'm 43. Bodies heal quicker when yer young & most kids don't even think of therapy or an "ice pack". When you "crawl past 40" your body is slower to heal...come to think of it... it's slower to do everything. O' man... I'm old. Better ride while I can. I've seperated both c-bones & I worry about going down hard...but I can't stop riding cause of a 'lil worryin'. Give your shoulder all the time it needs. You got plenty of time to ride. I'm guessin' if you think 40 meant mins. your not even close to 40 yr old or you aren't thinkin' about gettin' older. Use the ice it'll payoff.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

SNOWRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    "40 yrs old" I'm 43. Bodies heal quicker when yer young & most kids don't even think of therapy or an "ice pack". When you "crawl past 40" your body is slower to heal...come to think of it... it's slower to do everything. O' man... I'm old. Better ride while I can. I've seperated both c-bones & I worry about going down hard...but I can't stop riding cause of a 'lil worryin'. Give your shoulder all the time it needs. You got plenty of time to ride. I'm guessin' if you think 40 meant mins. your not even close to 40 yr old or you aren't thinkin' about gettin' older. Use the ice it'll payoff.
    Word!!!!!
    I am 44 and I will never stop
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    haha im only 17

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I hurt mine in February when landing a jump a lil to far forward on my skis. It popped it out but I knocked it back in and just kept skiing and takin it easy on it. That was in early february and its just feelin better now, my mom is a physical therapist and one thing that she had me do is find some monkey bars that you can reach while standing (or use a few boxes or something), and exercise it that way. First by gently putting a little bit of weight on it and just exercising it, and then over time working it up to putting all your weight on it. If you do to much to soon with it, even something like throwing a ball somewhat hard, you could tear it and put yourself out for much longer than you wanna be.

mtbr member
    This is what I've heard from my pill popping friends. . . If you go into a doctor complaining of any sort of pain, they will ask you to describe it on a scale of one to ten. If you respond 4 or higher, they are almost required to prescribe something for it. They might try to get x rays out of you though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    mom asked if i needed to go to doctor so im gonna see how i feel on monday. if i go she'll try to keep me from riding for awile so im not gonna go unless i have to

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    best thing as most people here have said is stay off it, if you can, try immobolizing it with a sling of some sort. i sprained my wrist 2 weeks ago flying over my bars head first and just used a boxing wrap to keep it immobilized and it healed in about a week, though i am 18 so i bounce back from injuries. something like motrin that has ibuprofen in it is good since its a muscle relaxant and loosens your shoulder up a bit.

mtbr member

If all else fails...you can try this.

Couple of years ago I really messed up my rotator cuff as a result of a fall. I went to a physical therapist for 3 days a week. This went on for 8 months. Very painful when they try to stretch you. It was so bad, I could not raise my arm past horizontal. Anyways, it was not really improving much.

I followed a friend to an accupuncturist and as a lark decided to give it a try. Trust me...I am a very sceptical person and this was akin to going to a witch doctor. Well the accupuncturist and I went through a DOUBLE session and it was a bit painful with the electricity anf heat that they applied to the muscles. But you would not believe me and I was absolutely astounded that I walked out of his office that day and was able to comfortably lift my arm above my head.

Several months of physical therapy could not accomplish what this guy did in 2 hours. I continued seeing him for a couple of sessions and did not have any problems afterwards.

I would try physical therapy first and if it does not work out, give this a try.

Later Mon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ive been taking advil, im pretty sure it is ibuprofein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast