Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to heal a hella HEMATOMA?

21K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jcrtorres007 
#1 · (Edited)
I went down fairly hard onto pavement. Most impact went to the R hip. I rode out but was incapacitated within 2 hrs. Massive hematoma emanating from R thigh. Now working its way down my leg. (If you wiki search "hematoma" there's a photo that looks like mine -but mine's worse) Crutches for 2 days. Then stiff & sore but no real pain. Went for an easy ride yesterday & felt good (7 days after crash)

I have read other crash/hematoma posts. Don't really need to hear about favorite injuries, but would like to know how others have TREATED similar hematomas and what your healing timeframe was. Would esp like to hear from health pros -if willing.

I read here about calcium deposits from hematomas (sounds nasty) anybody have that problem?

Anybody have theirs DRAINED?

Thanks,
Mr Hematoma

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I second getting an evaluation. The calf and thigh can hold a tremendous amount of blood, enough to cause someone to become hypovolemic. Any blood that is pooling up you want to make sure it has some place to go or else have it drained. Look up compartment syndrome to get an idea of the risks / worst case scenario.

The RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) is a must for any inflamed tissue. Avoid massage or rubbing of the ice though. You want the clots to form, not get broken up. On a same note OTC meds like naproxen and ibuprofen can reduce swelling along with the pain. Aspirin has antiplatelet properties which could hinder the healing process.

Bottom line - since you're using crutches the injury is affecting your daily routine. You should seek a professional evaluation.

#7 ·
Ok, Ok

Thanks all.

Will see the Doc tomorrow. Have been walking since day 3. Biked the past 2 days (easy) with no probs. Hip makes an audible pop when I raise it 90º -that's scary. Blood seep stopped on day 1 & is dispersing. Wish I had drain valve. Maybe Dr. Spenditall will set it all right. My guess is an admonishment to take vitamin-i, drink fluids, elevate w/ice, stay home & write a big fat check for the x-rays, etc.

Would still like to hear any histories of similar injuries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.