mtbr member

How to dress "road burn"

After a bad fall 3 days ago my back is pretty much one large abrasion. I fell on my head/shoulder and came to a sliding stop on my back.

I've been having a friend put neosporin on my back, but if there's anything else I can be doing to help it heal I would like to know. I'm not putting any gauze pads on it - so does the type of shirt make a difference? I have both polyester and cotton, the polyester shirts are softer so that's what I've been wearing.

Since I also broke my right collar bone I can only sleep on my left side, but if I get my back healed at least I will have a bit more of variety when it comes to sleeping positions.

Here's a (bad picture) from when I fell. This is how most of my back is, and even deeper scratches where my spine stick out.
    How to dress "road burn"-img_0526.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Dang dude, that looks painful. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Keep using Neosporin, but if it were me, I would definitely use some gauze to cover it up and protect it from shirt rub and also to soak up any blood. I guess poly shirts would be less abrasive on your wound, but whatever's comfortable for you.
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member

How to dress "road burn"

Had that on my leg but instead of multiple "scratches" it was 3 big scratches that where loonie sized ( sorry if your not Canadian and not familiar with loonie sized). I found the best way was to put neosporin on it, and leave it open. That or change the bandages a lot. If you leave the bandages on over night, or for along period of time. The cut try's to heal it self and like sticks to the gauze. When you go to change the gauze, the whole layer of skin that was starting to form get ripped off.

Happend 2 weekends ago, don't think it's as deep, picture was taken 1 or 2 days later

taken today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    Burn dressings. Same as for heat or chemical burns. I remember Telfa pads. They're kind of gross - they have gooey stuff in them. It keeps the wound moist and prevents the gauze from sticking to it.

Depending on how active you are, there's a thing like plastic wrap that can go over everything. I found it didn't breathe enough if I was sweating actively and got distended and full of sweat. Yuck! So I preferred just using a lot of cream or goo and gauze, and changing the dressing often enough to keep it from drying.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Dissolved member
    Two words: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...lloid+dressing

MUCH BETTER than cream and gauze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Burn dressings. Same as for heat or chemical burns. I remember Telfa pads. They're kind of gross - they have gooey stuff in them. It keeps the wound moist and prevents the gauze from sticking to it.

Depending on how active you are, there's a thing like plastic wrap that can go over everything. I found it didn't breathe enough if I was sweating actively and got distended and full of sweat. Yuck! So I preferred just using a lot of cream or goo and gauze, and changing the dressing often enough to keep it from drying.
    Seeing as that my collar bone is also broken I'm not going be be active at all for the next few days (weeks, or even months if I need surgery), so I'll take a look at that plastic wrap stuff though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whatever you do make sure the dressing has a non-stick layer (usually a fine plastic mesh layer like on band-aids).