Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfudge02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    198

    How do you keep your knees fresh?

    Hi so in the last few months I've started riding more and more. I'm young, learning, and a definite thrill seeker so it's safe to say I do go down a lot-- and even when I don't my knees still take a beating with as many bad lines as I take over technical stuff.

    I'm wondering from some of the vets, are there any daily routines/ aftercare you guys do for your knees and joints to keep them fresh?
    Mine feel "loose" the day after riding and not sure if that's a precursor to more intense knee pain, but am definitely trying to prevent that.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    You could tape your knees for a ride. It will help prevent over extension and possible injury. Just gives extra support without having to wear a big bulky brace.

  3. #3
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,252
    Not sure what "loose" means... you may want to get that checked out by an orthopedist. I had ACL replacement surgery in my right knee more than 10 years ago and thankfully, it never bothers me after a ride (I feel it a bit when the weather changes dramatically though).

    As for knee protection, I've demoed some different types over the years; the G-Form stuff is good though a bit on the pricey side. I found that knee protection got in the way with some regularity so I decided to slow down a bit, gain more skill and aim for "error free rides".
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,618
    If you're referencing wrecking, then get some knee pads and stop wrecking.

    If your knee feels wobbly, if you do a lot of mashing and singlespeed, you could be getting a muscle imbalance between quads and hamstring. I'm fixing my imbalance now, and it does seem to help. As much as I hate to say it, road biking. Clipless pedals at high RPM under steady load with the intent to build muscle and endurance. Doesn't need to be a road bike. Old hybrid bikes on gravel work just as well. Need the clipless pedals with full smooth spinning at high RPM.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  5. #5
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,571
    Quote Originally Posted by jfudge02 View Post
    Hi so in the last few months I've started riding more and more. I'm young, learning, and a definite thrill seeker so it's safe to say I do go down a lot-- and even when I don't my knees still take a beating with as many bad lines as I take over technical stuff.
    Based upon this criteria, 1) get protection, 2) educate yourself on superior lines and how to pick as opposed to blowing through & over tech stuff...it's honestly art form that you will be rewarded with as the years pass.

    I'm wondering from some of the vets, are there any daily routines/ aftercare you guys do for your knees and joints to keep them fresh?
    Mine feel "loose" the day after riding and not sure if that's a precursor to more intense knee pain, but am definitely trying to prevent that.
    with this said heed the warnings now in order to preserve them for the future per my above reply, otherwise your in for a life long struggle of pain/rehab etc. I can't speak to fresh or loose and what defines it other than to say if your fatigued, take a day off, or even a week off to recoup.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

  6. #6
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,667
    Proper riding position, proper set up etc.

    Some good tips : Knee Pain Cycling - Causes and Solutions - I Love Bicycling
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    Treatments that focus on increasing the blood flow to the knee would be very beneficial as well. The knee is the most susceptible to injury and one of the slowest for recovery rates. It gets such a small amount of circulation. The body has a natural ability to heal by bringing any injured area blood flow, but the rate at which it does so, especially for the knee, is very slow. Promoting blood flow to the knee will lubricate the joint and help protect it against injury. Here's some great info about how improved circulation can help with a lot of these things. Improving Blood Circulation

  8. #8
    Old Phart
    Reputation: saildesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    98
    I find alittle deodorant behind the knee keeps them fresh after a ri....

    Oh - THAT kind of "fresh" ...

    Nemmind
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Pogo

  9. #9
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,571
    Quote Originally Posted by saildesign View Post
    I find alittle deodorant behind the knee keeps them fresh after a ri....

    Oh - THAT kind of "fresh" ...

    Nemmind
    plus+, plus+ = win:

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfudge02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    198
    Lol thanks for all the replies, I do wear the fox launch pro knee/shin guards.. They've done an excellent job protecting me from scrapes and bruises, but I had a direct knee impact that seemed to go right through it a few weeks back. I've been hesitant to wear a brace because my joints have always been good and I don't wanna give them a handicap, but I may try the tape method and the circulation exercises.

  11. #11
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,571
    Quote Originally Posted by jfudge02 View Post
    Lol thanks for all the replies, I do wear the fox launch pro knee/shin guards.. They've done an excellent job protecting me from scrapes and bruises, but I had a direct knee impact that seemed to go right through it a few weeks back. I've been hesitant to wear a brace because my joints have always been good and I don't wanna give them a handicap, but I may try the tape method and the circulation exercises.
    handicap them now or later your choice.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    229
    WD40 or 3 in 1 oil. Some people like grease but I find it attracts too much dirt.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    Eeeee! Sounds painful. Wishing you all the best.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jfudge02 View Post
    Lol thanks for all the replies, I do wear the fox launch pro knee/shin guards.. They've done an excellent job protecting me from scrapes and bruises, but I had a direct knee impact that seemed to go right through it a few weeks back. I've been hesitant to wear a brace because my joints have always been good and I don't wanna give them a handicap, but I may try the tape method and the circulation exercises.
    Eeeee! Sounds painful. Wishing you all the best.

  15. #15
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,667
    Please Your Knees

    The joint operates so efficiently that we barely notice it—until something goes wrong. Here's how to keep yours working smoothly on and off the bike.

    42: Percent of cyclists who experience knee pain. The leading causes are overuse and improper bike fit.

    Keep 'em Warm
    The synovial fluid that helps lubricate your knees is less effective when it's cold out. Even if they don't feel frigid—they have few nerve endings—get out the warmers.

    Pattellofemoral Syndrome
    Pain in the front of the knee caused by overuse or when the undersurface of the kneecap rubs against the femur, grinding away the smooth cartilage between them. It can also occur when the kneecap doesn't track in a straight line because your leg muscles are out of balance. It is also called chondromalacia patella, which means evil cartilage.

    "Sit up and look at the birds and trees. Vary your pace and enjoy the ride," says Doug Campbell, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Burlington, Vermont. "It's the cyclists who do nothing but hammer away who end up in my office."

    60/40: The ideal split of power between your quadriceps and hamstring. If your quads get too large, common among cyclists, they can disrupt the way your knee tracks, says Gloria Cohen, MD, who specializes in sports medicine and is a former physician for Canada's Olympic cycling team.

    If you have pain you can't pinpoint, it's likely bursitis. The fluid-filled bursa sacs beneath your kneecap that help your knee move smoothly can become painfully irritated from trauma or overuse. Rest and ice are effective remedies.


    sauce: Please Your Knees | Bicycling
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfudge02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Please Your Knees

    The joint operates so efficiently that we barely notice it—until something goes wrong. Here's how to keep yours working smoothly on and off the bike.

    42: Percent of cyclists who experience knee pain. The leading causes are overuse and improper bike fit.

    Keep 'em Warm
    The synovial fluid that helps lubricate your knees is less effective when it's cold out. Even if they don't feel frigid—they have few nerve endings—get out the warmers.

    Pattellofemoral Syndrome
    Pain in the front of the knee caused by overuse or when the undersurface of the kneecap rubs against the femur, grinding away the smooth cartilage between them. It can also occur when the kneecap doesn't track in a straight line because your leg muscles are out of balance. It is also called chondromalacia patella, which means evil cartilage.

    "Sit up and look at the birds and trees. Vary your pace and enjoy the ride," says Doug Campbell, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Burlington, Vermont. "It's the cyclists who do nothing but hammer away who end up in my office."

    60/40: The ideal split of power between your quadriceps and hamstring. If your quads get too large, common among cyclists, they can disrupt the way your knee tracks, says Gloria Cohen, MD, who specializes in sports medicine and is a former physician for Canada's Olympic cycling team.

    If you have pain you can't pinpoint, it's likely bursitis. The fluid-filled bursa sacs beneath your kneecap that help your knee move smoothly can become painfully irritated from trauma or overuse. Rest and ice are effective remedies.


    sauce: Please Your Knees | Bicycling
    This is great stuff

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bbbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    231
    I keep mine "fresh" with a yearly Orthopedic surgery (to hog out more cartilage...) followed up by intense PT. But seriously, I spend a lot of time spinning on the road and avoiding gears that require that I mash up hills. Never been comfortable wearing the braces on the bike as they tend to get in the way but the Fox Launch leg armor has definitely helped when I've hit the deck hard (mine are heavily scarred from off the bike excursions at speed).
    Alea Jacta Est

  18. #18
    dedicated beater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Please Your Knees

    The joint operates so efficiently that we barely notice it—until something goes wrong. Here's how to keep yours working smoothly on and off the bike.

    42: Percent of cyclists who experience knee pain. The leading causes are overuse and improper bike fit.

    Keep 'em Warm
    The synovial fluid that helps lubricate your knees is less effective when it's cold out. Even if they don't feel frigid—they have few nerve endings—get out the warmers.

    Pattellofemoral Syndrome
    Pain in the front of the knee caused by overuse or when the undersurface of the kneecap rubs against the femur, grinding away the smooth cartilage between them. It can also occur when the kneecap doesn't track in a straight line because your leg muscles are out of balance. It is also called chondromalacia patella, which means evil cartilage.

    "Sit up and look at the birds and trees. Vary your pace and enjoy the ride," says Doug Campbell, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Burlington, Vermont. "It's the cyclists who do nothing but hammer away who end up in my office."

    60/40: The ideal split of power between your quadriceps and hamstring. If your quads get too large, common among cyclists, they can disrupt the way your knee tracks, says Gloria Cohen, MD, who specializes in sports medicine and is a former physician for Canada's Olympic cycling team.

    If you have pain you can't pinpoint, it's likely bursitis. The fluid-filled bursa sacs beneath your kneecap that help your knee move smoothly can become painfully irritated from trauma or overuse. Rest and ice are effective remedies.


    sauce: Please Your Knees | Bicycling
    Can't say this enough. As someone who hammered away too much, I'm dealing with Pattellofemoral Syndrome right now and it sucks. Keep your leg muscles well-balanaced, cross-train & get a good lifting program going. REMEMBER, ONCE YOU DAMAGE CARTILAGE, THE DAMAGE IS PERMANENT!!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    Great post cyclelicious. Thanks

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maizie88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    Can't say this enough. As someone who hammered away too much, I'm dealing with Pattellofemoral Syndrome right now and it sucks. Keep your leg muscles well-balanaced, cross-train & get a good lifting program going. REMEMBER, ONCE YOU DAMAGE CARTILAGE, THE DAMAGE IS PERMANENT!!!

    I agree that it is SO important to take care of your knees. Because our knee's get such little blood flow, they make for a very easy target area for injuries. This is what makes knee injuries so hard to heal as well, but they still absolutely can heal. Even the cartilage / meniscus! I hear it all the time. Get more blood flow to the knee and the increased amount of nutrients and oxygen from that promoted blood flow will heal it. This is an interesting link about meniscus surgeries and how they aren't always the best option, even though most doctors will say otherwise. Treatment for Meniscus Injuries Before and After Surgery

Similar Threads

  1. The Fat Bee's Knees :)
    By Dr Feelygood ! in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
  2. Sore Knees
    By lextek in forum Commuting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM
  3. Best pedals for bad knees?
    By Alien555 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM
  4. knees
    By wxc300 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  5. Bees Knees
    By kelstr in forum Arizona
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •