Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you keep your knees fresh?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Maizie88 
#1 ·
Hi so in the last few months I've started riding more and more. I'm young, learning, and a definite thrill seeker so it's safe to say I do go down a lot-- and even when I don't my knees still take a beating with as many bad lines as I take over technical stuff.

I'm wondering from some of the vets, are there any daily routines/ aftercare you guys do for your knees and joints to keep them fresh?
Mine feel "loose" the day after riding and not sure if that's a precursor to more intense knee pain, but am definitely trying to prevent that.

#15 ·
Please Your Knees

The joint operates so efficiently that we barely notice it-until something goes wrong. Here's how to keep yours working smoothly on and off the bike.

42: Percent of cyclists who experience knee pain. The leading causes are overuse and improper bike fit.

Keep 'em Warm
The synovial fluid that helps lubricate your knees is less effective when it's cold out. Even if they don't feel frigid-they have few nerve endings-get out the warmers.

Pattellofemoral Syndrome
Pain in the front of the knee caused by overuse or when the undersurface of the kneecap rubs against the femur, grinding away the smooth cartilage between them. It can also occur when the kneecap doesn't track in a straight line because your leg muscles are out of balance. It is also called chondromalacia patella, which means evil cartilage.

"Sit up and look at the birds and trees. Vary your pace and enjoy the ride," says Doug Campbell, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Burlington, Vermont. "It's the cyclists who do nothing but hammer away who end up in my office."

60/40: The ideal split of power between your quadriceps and hamstring. If your quads get too large, common among cyclists, they can disrupt the way your knee tracks, says Gloria Cohen, MD, who specializes in sports medicine and is a former physician for Canada's Olympic cycling team.

If you have pain you can't pinpoint, it's likely bursitis. The fluid-filled bursa sacs beneath your kneecap that help your knee move smoothly can become painfully irritated from trauma or overuse. Rest and ice are effective remedies.

sauce: Please Your Knees | Bicycling

#3 ·
Not sure what "loose" means... you may want to get that checked out by an orthopedist. I had ACL replacement surgery in my right knee more than 10 years ago and thankfully, it never bothers me after a ride (I feel it a bit when the weather changes dramatically though).

As for knee protection, I've demoed some different types over the years; the G-Form stuff is good though a bit on the pricey side. I found that knee protection got in the way with some regularity so I decided to slow down a bit, gain more skill and aim for "error free rides".

#4 ·
If you're referencing wrecking, then get some knee pads and stop wrecking.

If your knee feels wobbly, if you do a lot of mashing and singlespeed, you could be getting a muscle imbalance between quads and hamstring. I'm fixing my imbalance now, and it does seem to help. As much as I hate to say it, road biking. Clipless pedals at high RPM under steady load with the intent to build muscle and endurance. Doesn't need to be a road bike. Old hybrid bikes on gravel work just as well. Need the clipless pedals with full smooth spinning at high RPM.

G
#5 ·
Hi so in the last few months I've started riding more and more. I'm young, learning, and a definite thrill seeker so it's safe to say I do go down a lot-- and even when I don't my knees still take a beating with as many bad lines as I take over technical stuff.
Based upon this criteria, 1) get protection, 2) educate yourself on superior lines and how to pick as opposed to blowing through & over tech stuff...it's honestly art form that you will be rewarded with as the years pass.

I'm wondering from some of the vets, are there any daily routines/ aftercare you guys do for your knees and joints to keep them fresh?
Mine feel "loose" the day after riding and not sure if that's a precursor to more intense knee pain, but am definitely trying to prevent that.
with this said heed the warnings now in order to preserve them for the future per my above reply, otherwise your in for a life long struggle of pain/rehab etc. I can't speak to fresh or loose and what defines it other than to say if your fatigued, take a day off, or even a week off to recoup.

#7 · (Edited)
Treatments that focus on increasing the blood flow to the knee would be very beneficial as well. The knee is the most susceptible to injury and one of the slowest for recovery rates. It gets such a small amount of circulation. The body has a natural ability to heal by bringing any injured area blood flow, but the rate at which it does so, especially for the knee, is very slow. Promoting blood flow to the knee will lubricate the joint and help protect it against injury. Here's some great info about how improved circulation can help with a lot of these things. Improving Blood Circulation

#10 ·
Lol thanks for all the replies, I do wear the fox launch pro knee/shin guards.. They've done an excellent job protecting me from scrapes and bruises, but I had a direct knee impact that seemed to go right through it a few weeks back. I've been hesitant to wear a brace because my joints have always been good and I don't wanna give them a handicap, but I may try the tape method and the circulation exercises.

#17 ·
I keep mine "fresh" with a yearly Orthopedic surgery (to hog out more cartilage...) followed up by intense PT. But seriously, I spend a lot of time spinning on the road and avoiding gears that require that I mash up hills. Never been comfortable wearing the braces on the bike as they tend to get in the way but the Fox Launch leg armor has definitely helped when I've hit the deck hard (mine are heavily scarred from off the bike excursions at speed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.