mtbr member

how did you "get over it"?

After an injury, what tricks did u use to get over the fear? I broke my wrist a few weeks ago and i'm worried that's all i'm going to think about when i'm back on the bike. Or breaking something else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsca07
    After an injury, what tricks did u use to get over the fear? I broke my wrist a few weeks ago and i'm worried that's all i'm going to think about when i'm back on the bike. Or breaking something else.
    I broke my collar bone about a year ago and i didnt really do anything to get over the fear, after a few weeks of not riding after it was fully healed my friends made me go on a bike ride with them, and i was nervous at first but after like 20 minutes i was fine.

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    just forget it, dont think about it now. Bogging yourself in worries doesn't help the situation, just focus on you re-hab and think about biking when your better. I just broke my wrist 5 months ago on something really pathetic (because I was a moron and braked at the last minute on the face of the drop) and the nerves in my hand are now starting to get back to normal. You should have seen my wrist, you would have puked your guts out, it was nearly hanging lol. Now, I don't think about my injury at all, and try to focus 100% on my riding. It's a good thing to get used to and you have to be very confident in this sport. That will help avoid injuries. When you go to the trail the next time and prepare to hit that next stunt, don't get all tense and just go with it. Don't let your mind ramble, just be confident and u'll be fine. As bender says, "turn off your mind."

Get well soon and chill for now, Shredder111

another bozo on the bus
    You will get over it in time. I have had numerous broken bones in my 20+ years of cycling and have learned that you need to give yourself time to heal mentally. After 9 months and 2 ops to fix my knee and tibia, I got fit physically and showed up at a race before mentally healing from the injuries. First national race back after 9 months and crashed over the first jump, breaking my collar bone b/c I was so worried about about blowing out my knee. Cycling has a huge mental element to it that alot of people ignore (hindsight 20/20). Whether you are racing, freeriding, or just hitting the local single track, your mental game has got to be in check. Got to have the confidence to make you are trying at the speed you wish to go while at the same time knowing your limits. When these limits are pushed, or you get an idea such as crashing in your head is when you get in trouble.

Never, and I mean never, try something if you get a thought of getting hurt in your head. Ride off and clear your head, then return to what you had originally wanted to do refreshed and confident. And watching videos with crash scenes is a no-no as well as talking about crashes with others on a ride or on the way to one. Just bad thoughts to get in there. I know it might sound whack, but it has been working for me.

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting responses. I had a severe elbow injury from biking that had me out for quite a while. Once I got back on the bike, I was somewhat surprised that I really had no instinctual fear that had set in from the injury. I've been mtbing for 10 years or so, and I think the familiarity of the activity overrides the memory of the split second mistake that caused the injury.

In general though, fear is a good, healthy emotion, despite what the Nike ads may tell you. If you have a fear of riding something, it may be a sign that you don't have the skills for it, so I'd listen to it carefully. As for myself, even though I don't get butterflies in my stomach looking at something, intellectually I've had to severely adjust my risk tolerance. I know if I have another injury to my elbow the long term consequences could be quite severe, so I simply won't ride some things I used to because the risk of re-injury is too great. I.e. the fun to risk ratio is not so good because the risk has gotten higher.

So I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do find yourself feeling more fearful, maybe it's thousands of years of evolution kicking in telling you not to break your wrist again. I say don't fight Darwin, practice on some safer terrain and slowly build up or back up to where you want to be.

mtbr member
    After any serious injury I've had by the time I had healed I wasn't worried about getting hurt again, all I wanted to do was ride. Sure there can be a little nagging voice, but the first time you crash again, and tag your leg and arm again and sit up feeling fine you go "Yee-ha!" and have at it.

I can say if I was running lift acces style bike park terrain I'd have MX style knee braces. I'll take broken bones over ligament damage any day. And I do dress for the crash, not the apres ride.