Thread: Hit by a car

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006

Hit by a car

Yup. It happened. On the way home from work today, riding my road bike on the sidewalk (busy street, figured I wouldn't get hit there. Crossing a sidestreet (yes mom, I checked both ways first) and saw a lady turning left. I didn't think she would go cause there was a car coming the other way, so I went. So did she. Her right headlight met my rear wheel, I came down. She said she didn't see me. So, the bike's dead without a rear wheel, so for now I'm probably commuting with my Fisher. Worst injury I sustained was a decent scrape on my arm (I'm posting pics). Wearing a helmet and probably saved my life because of it since I whacked my right temple pretty good on the ground. Giro Hex cracked, not too bad, but it still cracked. You probably can't see it in the picture due to the glare. My right glove is dead and I walked home with my Miyata (sp?) slung over my shoulder. My shoulder hurts, btw. I'll get pics of the bike tomorrow, just wanted to get it out. The moral of the story? Always check your blind spots before turning .
    ~Shorty~

By the way, anyone else gotten hit? It appears to me that I got off pretty good, since the lady should be paying me for the helmet gloves and rim.
    Pictures are at http://ashorty.photosite.com/

EDIT: Just added pictures of the bike-check it out
    Last edited by kylejohn4543; 06-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Sorry to hear you got hit, glad you're mostly OK.

I never ride on the sidewalk, I think it's safer to be in the street where drivers are actually looking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did you get the license and insurance....fill a claim.

your both at fault but you might get some damages.

Were you in a crosswalk.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    It sounds like the OP was in a crosswalk, which gives him some help on the legal front. Some states consider any pair of adjacent corners a "crosswalk" irrespective of whether there are lines painted or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Sorry to hear you got hit, glad you're mostly OK.

I never ride on the sidewalk, I think it's safer to be in the street where drivers are actually looking.

I almost always ride on the sidewalk. Where I ride during the week the speed limit is 45 mph in most spots. Cars are more likely to see you in the street but I feel like I have more control on the sidewalk. I've had somewhat close calls both ways and I'm glad the OP is ok.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I know the drivers around here are too.

Austin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    It sounds like the OP was in a crosswalk, which gives him some help on the legal front. Some states consider any pair of adjacent corners a "crosswalk" irrespective of whether there are lines painted or not.
    Huh? Dunno how it is in other states, but at least in NY riding on sidewalks/crosswalks is expressly illegal. I got nailed crossing one and the driver didn't even get a ticket because the officer who arrived on the scene stated that we were both at fault and thus would need to issue both of us tickets (driver for hitting me, me for riding on a crosswalk). A lazy officer for sure, but nevertheless.

Being on a crosswalk will actually screw you in NYS (I'm not sure if that's a federal law or not).

EDIT: That's the other thing - if you're walking a bike across a sidewalk/crosswalk, you're protected and have the right of way. However if you're riding the bike across the sidewalk/crosswalk, you're violating the law and you have zero legal protection/right of way. Very discouraging to cyclists, IMO.