Those who skibike, know..

New question here. Hip Resurfacing ... anyone?

So I go in for a hip resurfacing in a week. Im in my early 40's, but walk like Im in my 70's [no offense anyone reading this > 70.. ]

I saw Floyd Landis had it done, then won a 100 mile race a year later. Looks like Robyn Benicasa had it too. Encouraging, but I am a freerider working on my superman sgs at the jump park.

Doc says its the rule of 2-3:
    2-3 days hospital
    2-3 weeks crutches
    2-3 months recovery

Perfect. Just in time for summer.

Anyone have any experience with hip resurfacing?

Ive already watched all the DVDs when I tore my MCL and seperated my shoulder [lol - maybe I should give up on the superman??? ]. I have no problem watching them all again, but... other than my typical routine of MTBR and Pinkbike, any suggestions on passing the time???
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm scheduled to have it done in November (if I can wait that long). There are some events I want to do this summer. A friend of mine had it done also and he's really happy with the results. He said the pain (or lack of) was noticed immediately. My surgeon told me that as soon as I wake from recovery they would get me walking. 1-2 days in the hospital and after 6 weeks I can begin to ease back into a normal lifestyle. Just have to use common sense. I'm excited to get it done and have allot less pain. Keep me informed on your progress and good luck.
    What is the cause of needing this done? Mine is 30 years of off-road motorycle racing..just wore out. No regrets either.

"It is better to wear out than it is to rust out"

http://www.jointimplantsurgeons.com/

Yes, less pain... seems like a pipe dream. What would it be like to roll over at night and not get woken up by my femur rubbing against my hip bone? It has to be good. My liver sure will appreciate it too, I imagine, as less pain surely will require less self medication.

Walking that soon? Encouraging.

Cause: motorcycle accident in early 90's, fractured femur high up. Bad healing.

I am just wating for someone knowledgable to say "Dude, grow up. Quit dirt jumping and switch to road biking." THAT will not be a fun realization...
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry but the resurfacing is a long recovery since cartilage doesn't have the greatest blood supply. But look at it this way. Taking this season off will ensure you will have many more seasons to come. Cut your time off short, or skimp on the rehab, and you may find yourself not riding again.

drbarky
    My friend is 50+ and had both hips resurfaced approx 6 mos apart. She's doing great. She has always been a stud rider and is back at it doing great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my dad just had his done in october.

and i have to say that rouges time estimates are much closer to reality

moto, the walking they will have you do is more standing with them moving your leg.

dont get yourself wrong, you will be in a world of hurt for a few days. but what my dad said you will notice quickly is the lack of the dull ache that you have been used to.
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

hip resurfacing

First of all, resurfacing is not a miracle. We in orthopaedics think it has great potential, but it is not the end all be all. Recovery is about two months before you want to do the bike thing. And yes most people do notice the pain difference immediately after surgery. But it is still a prosthetic joint and has all the potential problems of the traditional hip replacement. It does not sacrifice as much bone and does not have the same potential for dislocations that the usual techniques have but can still fail if abused. It is great for young folks with hip problems but be careful. Percussion loading, l.e., falls, crashes, repetitive big jumps, etc, can lead to loosening of the prosthesis and the need for revision, perhaps to a less forgiving replacement.

UPDATE:

Surgery on Fri, reading MTBR at home on Sunday...

I was walking on crutches [slowly] by Saturday lunchtime.

The dull throbbing pain I have lived with for years appears to be gone. Of course, I was on morphine immediately after the surgery... and Im on vicodin now... but I can tell the throbbing is missing. Too early to tell if range of motion is better [although doc says it will be].

Now, recovery...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Short stay. Usually keep my pts three days. Glad all is well, best of luck.