mtbr member

Hip Replacement at Surgical Center instead of Hospital....home that same day? Really?

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to have a THR on my left hip. (btw, thanks to everyone who has sent me PMs and given me advice on the other thread, but I didn't want to hijack it).
    I visited a surgeon 2 days ago and they're giving me a choice between a hospital and a surgical center. They also gave me a bunch of literature on the procedure, follow up, etc which I've read. It has a 2012 date on it.
    So I've had knees scoped in a surgical center 3x and once in a hospital. The Surgical Centers were much nicer. But with a THR, they're sawzalling a hunk of bone, doing PT asap and there's possible blood clots and drainage tubes. The surgical center closes at 6pm and the operation will be in the afternoon. 45 minute operation. So that leaves about 4 hours to come out of it and then be driven home for a evening at home, followed up by visiting PT at home in the morning for 2 weeks.
    At first, I thought, well that's amazing, I'll take the Surgical Center. After reading the literature, I'm wavering.
    I also know that surgical centers aren't as regulated as hospitals, and just concerned that if something happens that first night, I'm at home and not at a hospital, but I might be just a little uncomfortable about the whole concept right now......
    So, has anyone gone through this decision and what/why did you decide for it?
    Regards,
    Nervous Spongebob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr dismember

Surgical Center

Surgery centers are best because they don't let sick people in. Hospitals are full of cooties. Look up nosocomial infection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Surgery centers are best because they don't let sick people in. Hospitals are full of cooties. Look up nosocomial infection.
    Never even thought of it from that angle....per wikipedia....Nosocomial infections are commonly transmitted when hospital officials become complacent and personnel do not practice correct hygiene regularly. Also, increased use of outpatient treatment in recent decades means that a greater percentage of people who are hospitalized today are likely to be seriously ill with more weakened immune systems than in the past. Since medical staff move from patient to patient, the staff themselves serve as a means for spreading pathogens. Essentially, the staff act as vectors.

Thanks
    Bob

mtbr dismember

Btw

BTW, I've had both knees replaced at surgery centers.

Kathleen in AZ
    I had a THR in 2010. No way would I want to be home that first night after the drugs start wearing off! Sure, they had me up walking the day of the operation, but it was a really rough night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i operate at both surgical centers and hospitals. both are essentially the same, but patient satisfaction tends to be higher at surgical centers. many surgical centers do not have full hospital amenities if you were to have a severe complication. in that case, you'd be transferred to a hospital. good news is, this happens only very rarely

mtbr member
    I've been home after 3 surgeries in 2 years (clavicle plate, FAI/torn labrum repair and femoral neck fracture, 3 screws) Just take norco a couple days and to keep doc happy. pain goes away except for bruised hands from crutches. Want to be out of hospital asap.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Well I had it done in a surgical center and it was a fantastic experience. Personal attention both before and after, the nurses always checking and answering questions from you and my wife, and I was home by 5:30 PM. In a week I was walking around the block without any cane. It was an amazing great experience. Now I'm on my 6 month + PT schedule and its going well.
    I also need to find a really good set of hip armor. Any recommendations?
    Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I did a lot of research on this after my THR. Go with the POC Hip VPD 2.0 shorts. If ordering online, make sure you get the bike version (with chamois) as opposed to the ski version.

mtbr member
    Thanks SuperBri. I'll take a look at them. Have you fallen on them? How long was it before your doctors let you out and what was your process on getting back into riding technical trails? This seems to be a very long drawn out recovery.....
    thanks
    Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    PM'ed you with long story on the recovery process. As for falling, I have not gone down on my hips wearing those shorts so far, but I'm confident that the padding is situated in the right places for best results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBri View Post
    PM'ed you with long story on the recovery process. As for falling, I have not gone down on my hips wearing those shorts so far, but I'm confident that the padding is situated in the right places for best results.
    Great. Thanks SuperBri. Got your PM and responded. I did a cursory search for those on line but don't really remember the resulting online stores. Then of course the snows have started, so I figured I have a lot of time to look for them. Unfortunately.
    And for the others reading this thread, I've had a bit of a set back with discomfort coming from right over the hip bone and streaming down my inside thigh, outside quad and various other locations. Most likely from Bursa irritation and the wrong choice for a PT provider. Remember guys, if you don't like or don't seem to be getting anywhere with your PT, MOVE ON. It might not be right for you and your body.
    This is a very long recovery, no matter how good it feels in the first few weeks. So take it easy. Like right now, there's more snow in this area than I've seen in years. So what do I WANT to do? Snow shoe. But that would be disastrous. So I have to be content with the knowledge that next winter I'll be able to do it. Like I said. Be a turtle.
    Regards.
    Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am a three time hip replacement. Had to have one redone due to metal on metal design not working well. I had all done at the hospital. For a young and or strong fit person I can see the surgery center option working. If you have complications then obviously it is off to a hospital. Currently the guidelines are to reduce hospital stay and get you home ASAP due to infection concerns and costs. So 2 day stay is now the norm. Got to say the first 3 days are toughs on you need good help. New guidelines like aspirin for blood thinking instead of daily injunctions. The new silver dressing that are changed once a week are great.

On recovery here is what I followed. Follow PT guidance but ask lots of questions and challenge them to give you what you need. Most of the time the PT folks are treating patients that are less active and older than most cyclist. I was able to handle spin classes by week 4. Took it easy on sprints and gearing. By month 4 I was riding outside on easy paths with low risk of fall. Month 6 I was riding easy trail, road and paths. Month 8 I was back on trails but limiting load by spinning more and halting the really steep short climbs. I have decided that now I need to manage wear and tear on the hardware. So easier gears. Limit max sustained efforts to high fat burning heart rate level. Slowed down and enjoy trail riding for the nature and physical well being and not for speed, sustained heart rate and top physical effort. Taken up other sports so I can keep fit in other ways without so much stress on the hips (paddleboard, competitive shooting). Best thing ever was getting a fat bike. Sure footed ride lets me tackle those rock gardens and technical features with confidence and less risk of falling. Yeah it is a bit slower than the 29er but it is fun! Last year I rode mountain bike parks like snowshow, bryce and trestle but since then I decided to sell the all mountain rig and just be a trail rider.

Good luck to others going through THR. You can get back to cycling but think about wise choices for the long run.