mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Hip Replacement?

Any one have a hip replacement, How does it effect your riding I am 46 years old and considering having it done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't rush into a hip replacement. Surgery is irreversible and the they only last 15 years. Then what?

Make sure the diagnosis is correct. See a doctor who specializes in sports medicine and is not a surgeon. Surgeons push surgery, because it makes them big bucks. Surgery always benefits the surgeon and sometimes the patient.

Hip replacement surgery was developed for old people in nursing homes not for weekend warriors. Floyd Landis had a different surgical procedure called the Birmingham Technique, you should check out his website. But it is new and we do not know how good it will be in the long run. It may be an option for a younger, more active person. The more you know the better. Ask tough questions. Educate youself.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Duende
    I wouldn't rush into a hip replacement. Surgery is irreversible and the they only last 15 years. Then what?

Make sure the diagnosis is correct. See a doctor who specializes in sports medicine and is not a surgeon. Surgeons push surgery, because it makes them big bucks. Surgery always benefits the surgeon and sometimes the patient.

Hip replacement surgery was developed for old people in nursing homes not for weekend warriors. Floyd Landis had a different surgical procedure called the Birmingham Technique, you should check out his website. But it is new and we do not know how good it will be in the long run. It may be an option for a younger, more active person. The more you know the better. Ask tough questions. Educate youself.
    True, the total hip replacement will only last around 15 years. It's usually the poly insert that wears. A simple poly revision fixes this. If the components become loose the revision is more involved, with the old components removed and replaced with newer tech implants. Think of switching out Biopace cranks for the new XTR.

Not all doctors are the same. I've worked with some who demand a cut of the sales and others who turn away patients who do not need a joint replacement, only to have the patient go to a doc who will do anything regardless if it's needed or not.

Total joint replacement is irreversible and should be your final option.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Who's Riding with a hip replacement

Thanks for your input
    I have been working on this deceision for two years and have had the problem for 8 years.
    2-3 doctors that I have seen don't recommend the Floyd Landis hip because it can come loose.
    I am considering a metal on metal hip which will last a lot longer than 15 years.

I like to hear from a rider that has had, a hip replacement and is still riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I also recommend researching hip resurfacing (what Landis had). This procedure has a proven track record for up to 15 years now and is a much more viable option for young active canidates. Of course, the procedure is still major surgery and there are potential risks (as in any surgery), but more bone stock is preserved (femoral head still intact). So if a revision is required you then can get a THR (15 plus years down the road) instead of now. Many doctors are skeptical of hip resurfacing because it requires greater skill (experience is key) and will potentially take away from their business. Please research further. check out this yahoo messageboard.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Friend had Hip Replacement

and he's still riding strong. He's 49 and, although not pro, very into road and mountain biking. He also snow boards and tele skis. Oh - and he's a paramedic/fireman, so he needs to be physically fit and capable. I think he had his surgery a few years back in Europe, definitely while he was in his 40's. He doesn't post on mtbr, so I'll ask him for more details about his particular kind of replacement and his post-op info. I'm sure not he would agree with the poster who implies that such surgery is only for professional athletes. Without his surgery, my friend would be fairly sedentary.

mtbr member
    I know three people who've had hips replaced, none cyclists (sorry). One had great results. Two had less than predicted results.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    and he's still riding strong. He's 49 and, although not pro, very into road and mountain biking. He also snow boards and tele skis. Oh - and he's a paramedic/fireman, so he needs to be physically fit and capable. I think he had his surgery a few years back in Europe, definitely while he was in his 40's. He doesn't post on mtbr, so I'll ask him for more details about his particular kind of replacement and his post-op info. I'm sure not he would agree with the poster who implies that such surgery is only for professional athletes. Without his surgery, my friend would be fairly sedentary.
    Thanks look forward to hearing from you.