mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hip to knee running injury...

I hope there are some cross trainers/adventure racers on this board to help with a running injury that has flared up since the snow melted and I started some long distance (8-12 mi.) trail runs. I have done 2 such runs so far, yesterday and the sunday before.

History: I have been training all winter keeping a good base, getting in 2 days at the gym (3 mi. run/hill climbing, weight training) and one day of trail hiking/snowshoeing for 2-3 hrs (no running/jogging). I have not had any injuries from running before. I participated in 3 adv races last year ranging from 40 mi to 100 mi, 6.5 hrs to 22 hrs in length with no injuries.

Injury: After about 30-40 minutes of trail jogging/running, my left leg top of thigh on the outside below the hip bone begins to tighten and slowly the pain/tightness radiates down to my knee (middle of knee behind knee cap). I have had a lumbar discectomy in Dec 1999, and this is not a sciatic type of pain. It is a dull ache. Stretching and massaging helps slightly, but returns.

Anyone have any similar injury and, more importantly, any remedies you can recommend? If not, do you know of a running forum I can pose this question? I know I should see a doctor and I will if things dont get better in a week.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

IT band

It could be your IT band, but that is more on the side of your leg running form your hip to your knee. Stretch alot before and after running. Maybe you should cool it on the trail miles a little until your joints and ligaments get used to the uneven terrain. Running from 3 miles to 12 miles is a pretty significant increase. Check out runnersworld.com, they have a section devoted to injury prevention and treatment. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thnank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    It could be your IT band, but that is more on the side of your leg running form your hip to your knee. Stretch alot before and after running. Maybe you should cool it on the trail miles a little until your joints and ligaments get used to the uneven terrain. Running from 3 miles to 12 miles is a pretty significant increase. Check out runnersworld.com, they have a section devoted to injury prevention and treatment. Good luck.
    I might have been a little confusing in my description but you hit the nail on the head! My pain is on the side of my leg running from my hip to my knee! Thanks for the reply and the link!!! So I should really get into stretching, maybe ice it after running(?), Flex-All before(?). I will take a break and bike this week. I think I need some R-I-C-E.

XCdude

Here is a link, but the post below sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    I hope there are some cross trainers/adventure racers on this board to help with a running injury that has flared up since the snow melted and I started some long distance (8-12 mi.) trail runs. I have done 2 such runs so far, yesterday and the sunday before.

History: I have been training all winter keeping a good base, getting in 2 days at the gym (3 mi. run/hill climbing, weight training) and one day of trail hiking/snowshoeing for 2-3 hrs (no running/jogging). I have not had any injuries from running before. I participated in 3 adv races last year ranging from 40 mi to 100 mi, 6.5 hrs to 22 hrs in length with no injuries.

Injury: After about 30-40 minutes of trail jogging/running, my left leg top of thigh on the outside below the hip bone begins to tighten and slowly the pain/tightness radiates down to my knee (middle of knee behind knee cap). I have had a lumbar discectomy in Dec 1999, and this is not a sciatic type of pain. It is a dull ache. Stretching and massaging helps slightly, but returns.

Anyone have any similar injury and, more importantly, any remedies you can recommend? If not, do you know of a running forum I can pose this question? I know I should see a doctor and I will if things dont get better in a week.

Thanks!
    http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
    Knee and hip pain are the most common cycling injuries. The most common cause of knee (and hip pain) in cyclists is iliotibial band (IT band) syndrome. The IT band is a thick fibrous band of tissue, which runs on the outside of the leg from the hip to the knee. Pain is caused when the band becomes tight and rubs over the bony prominences of the hip (greater trochanter) and/or the knee (lateral epicondyle). Tight inflexible lower extremity muscles may worsen the condition.
    As injury is generaly a problem of overuse, it is often seen in the cyclist just beginning a training program or early in the training season when the temptation is to do too much too fast. In order to minimize knee and hip pain in the early season, take it easy for the first few weeks. Pedal with low resistance and a cadence of 80-90rpm allowing your body to adjust again to road riding. (Likewise with any change that leads to a slightly new bike position.) Minimize hard riding or hill work for the first few weeks. Add in a stretching program for your lower extremities, especially for the gluteus and IT band to help transition you into your riding season.

The most common causes are:

Faulty saddle height or position
    Crank too long - especially if you have chondromalacia
    Pushing excessively high gears (slow cadence in cold weather)
    Too much leg work in the gym
    Cleat alignment
    Individual cyclist anatomy

Throbbing Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    I totally agree with Chainwhipped. Running distance should not be increased more than about 10% per week or something close to that without risking injury. I seem to remember a running mag/web site which had streching/warm up techniques for those with IT band pain. Trail Runner Mag? or Road Runner Sports.com? Look around you are on the right track.
    Phil Hernandez RIP