Thread: Hip Injury

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hip Injury

A couple weeks ago, I was approaching a switchback, front tire hit a patch of ice and instantly fell on my left hip while still clipped in. While I knew a bruise would be forthcoming, I was not injured to the point where I couldn't finish the ride.

Later on in the day, severe pain and stiffness set in. Thankfully, the pain and stiffness subsided over the next fews days to the point where I could ride again. However, I still walk with a limp, experience weakness and pain when trying to perform subtle movements. I am actually surprised that I can ride with little to no pain except for some getting out of the saddle or clipping out of the pedal.

It's almost as if the head of my femur slammed into my hip socket because the pain is gone from where I took the direct impact. The pain inside the hip joint won't go away. Surely there is somebody out there who has had a similar occurence. So, do you think this will go away or is it possible that I tore something like the labrum? The latter I question because there was no torsional force, just a direct blow.

BTW - I want to avoid the doctor at this point because the last time he put me under the knife (shoulder = snowboarding) with 6 months of rehab. Hopefully someone out there will tell me this is a common occurence and expect it to go away.

1946:2006:2066

you need an xray of the pelvis

I crashed my road bike, doing an endo with all force of the landing on my right hip. I couldn't
    walk and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The xrays revealed a non-displaced
    fracture of the pelvic hip socket and a separated fracture of the lower lobe. No operation
    required, but I had to stay off the right leg until the xrays showed at least 80% - 90%
    healing. About four months.

Sounds like you might have a hair-line fracture of the socket, since you have some mobility
    but have an inner pain in that area. I feel for you dude, but get it xrayed. Pelvic injuries are
    not be fooled with. And they are the most painful of all. You might be lucky and only need
    month or so of down time.

Edit:
    If you have a hair line fracture the problems that can occur from walking on it are that the
    fracture stretches at the same time it is healing. And heal it will, eventually. But you
    have essentialy enlarged the socket which will come back to haunt you later in life.

I'm not trying to scare you, but caution you. Get it xrayed.

As the saying goes:
    "been there, done that, hurts like hell, you do recover - if you follow doctor's orders"

michael
    Last edited by mrdy; 03-01-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, just fell myself, right on my leatherman and put a huge blk and blu on my hip. I got off my bike cause there was ice ahead, annd was not on my studded tired bike. I started to walk it over the ice and WHAMM, slipped and fell hard. I should have rode it over maybe...Thank God after getting my breath back I was okay. It has been 5 days and it still hurts to caugh or blow my nose but it is going away.

Just another FOC'er
    I've had two bad ones that I can remember right now.

The first one was 6 or 7 years ago. I jumped off some stairs onto a parking lot with my seat all the way up and I got bucked. I landed on my hip. I couldn't walk without pain for a couple months, or really walk at all for a couple weeks, but after a couple weeks I could ride pretty much pain free.

The second was a couple years ago, and it happened going off a huck on a trail. My back wheel skidded out just as I was boosting and I ended up flying through the air and landing hip first on a rock. Super painful. Two guys had to drag me down the trail, which took about a hour. I kept almost passing out from the pain. That time I had broken my pelvis. No walking without crutches for months, but I found I could ride seated way before walking.

Oh yeah, last weekend I did land right on the end my femur as well. That night it hurt a lot. The next morning even trying to stand caused enough pain that I felt like it might just collapse. My solution was 4 advils, and a gentle ride. Still hurts to touch, but not bad when I walk or ride.

An xray never hurts to have just so you know. I usually just ignore them when surgery is discussed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I'll get some armor for myself. I've never gone to the ski slopes in the summer to try downhill and was thinking of trying it. I won't go fast but one doesn't need to go fast to get banged up. At 46, I probably should spend 4000.00 for health insurance also, being self employed. Maybe i'll just stay in bed...

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    I think I'll get some armor for myself. I've never gone to the ski slopes in the summer to try downhill and was thinking of trying it. I won't go fast but one doesn't need to go fast to get banged up. At 46, I probably should spend 4000.00 for health insurance also, being self employed. Maybe i'll just stay in bed...
    Shorts with hip pads help a lot, the only problem is that I don't always wear them. When hitting the really big stuff on my DH bike I do wear full armor though. Even that is hardly a guarantee of immunity to injury, but it helps.

It pains me to say that I'm actually older than you and in the same insurance/employment situation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks guys. Reading through some of the replies made me think of a good buddy of mine. He's 6'4", 325 LBS. Loves extreme sports... though all from the seat of his couch watching on TV. He once told me he never got hurt laying on the couch drinking beer.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Birdlegs, are you still lurking on MTBR? I see that this was your last post... I just sent you a PM re: hip injuries.
    I read that on the internet.