Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

High Blood Pressure

I have been bttling with high blood pressure for a number of years and have used my riding to help keep it under control. Lately I have no energy to do any exercise and suspect it is my medication. It really is a catch 22 in that if I don't ride my pressure goes up but if I take my meds I don't feel like riding. Anyone out there have to deal with blood pressure and how do you keep motivated?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    What med/meds are you on?
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have the same issue I was on hctz for 2 years I recently changed to a new doc and med I am on Tecturna 300mg my pressure is under control and my riding is a bit better. I still have issues and am trying to figure them out. What meds are you on?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Meds

Right now I am on Lotrel which is a combined pill. Have been on a whole bunch of meds since first diagnosed with varying results. The only common result is that after 8 years my pressure still fluctuates. The doctor has me on a 24 hr bp monitor right now. I am a professor and it is interesting to find that while teaching my bp is 130/75. While sitting in my office I am getting readings of 160-170/ 95-105, It makes no sense.
    Early on they sent me for a stress test and during the stress test my pressure started at 160/100 after 20 minutes on the treadmill it was 120/70 and stayed there the duration of the test. My doctor even joked that all I have to do is exercise all day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If it is a combined med I wonder if it has HCTZ (a diuretic) that may be keeping you dehyrdrated. this med I am on is not a diuretic and I think that helps. The lower BP during exercise is common so I am told due to the dialation of vessels in the legs. Yea just ride all day and things are cool put a treadmill at the front of the class.

Getting old is a real bummer huh

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Meds

Lotrel is actually a combo of an Ace Inhibitor and a calcium channel blocker. I actually think it is the calcium channel blocker causing my problems.
    As for getting old it happens to all of us. At least my riding has kept me relatively young feeling. I figure I want to be like my great uncle who was showing off his new motorcycle he bought when he turned 92.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was told that the order of desirability for performance (cardio) atheletes is
    1)ACE's - possible cough, 2) ARB, 3) calcium channel blocker. Anything with
    HCT on the end is a no-no, a diuretic that of course will operate in direct oppostion
    to what you want on a hot ride. Norvasc (cc blocker) worked, but made my ankles swell,
    Benicar (ARB) made me feel like I was dying, pain up my back through my arms, sort
    of like a cramp or passing out. Now I am on Lisoprinol (ACE) and I think it is also
    affecting my ability to sustain high heart rates. You could go for months trying to find
    the right one or combo. Good luck, because of course you must treat it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kary
    Lotrel is actually a combo of an Ace Inhibitor and a calcium channel blocker. I actually think it is the calcium channel blocker causing my problems.
    As for getting old it happens to all of us. At least my riding has kept me relatively young feeling. I figure I want to be like my great uncle who was showing off his new motorcycle he bought when he turned 92.
    my dad was on a beta blocker and he stated that it made him lethargic. he is now on lisinopril and feels much better. one bad thing about beta blockers and endurance sports is that it is hard to get your heart rate up. i think i would prefer a ace inhibitor, it relaxes the vessels instead of "blocking" the response at the receptor site like the beta blocker does. do some research and talk to your doctor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Meds

I have tried so many meds that it is crazy. Altace gave me the least problems but after being on it for a while I developed a cough. I was on Norvasc for a very short time because it made my resting HR drop into the 20's. Doctor said he never saw that before and doesn't know how I could be awake at that HR. Benicar also made me feel horrible. The issue that I have with the Lotrel and I guess any CC block is that I can no longer climb or push as hard as I used to since it limits my max HR.
    At one point I was on diuretics and that was not helping at all.
    I guess I'll just try to keep riding and deal with slowing down due to the meds.

mtbr member
    I have been on Atenelol for about 10 years and have not really had any negative side effects. I tried to stop taking it, just to not have to take any drugs, but after 6 months or so the doctor recommended that I go back on. Besides that it is really cheap $10 for 90 days.

mtbr member

Hbp

Sadly I have tried most of the meds listed above. They all work for awhile, then it seems my body gets used to them an BP goes up.

I started something called Bistolic this week. It works with no Edema like the Norvasc you reported.

Interesting about sitting vs giving a lecture: I am no expert, but does lecturing / riding reduce stress in your life?

Craig
    happy hour is over, and I need two more gears.

mtbr member

statins

Statins inhibit the production of coenzyme Q, which is involved in energy production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    been taking meds a few months, nothing seems to really be working. Started on Norvasc then added a diuretic now on 300mg of Approvel + Diuretic which makes me feel really tired, horrid dry skin. Recovering from shoulder surgery so can't comment on the heart rate scenario right now. Seeing the Dr this week and hope we can hit something that does not dehydrate like this stuff.
    Tried the "herbal" route with a product called Hyperexol, you might as well pour that down the drain for what it did for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New Meds

Well now my doctor wants to add an additional med. He wants me to wear a Klonidine patch and stay on the Lotrel I am taking. I know that I was on klonodine 9 years ago and it actually raised my BP but he wants to try it anyway. Am thinking of not trying it but not sure what to do.

mtbr member

Is it a weight issue??

I am now 40 years old, at age 25 I began seeing the signs of high bp. At the time I was about 210 pounds. I tried all kinds of meds, different doctors, etc. All caused me to have low energy. This year I decided to lose weight. October 15, 2007 I was 6' at 223 pounds, today I am at 196. I eat clean, lean protiens, fruits & veggies, stay away from all the junk and exercise religiously. I am off all of my bp meds and currently see average readings of 110/65. I feel like a million bucks, tons of energy etc. I know the drugs do all kinds of things to your body, maybe weight loss could be a solution?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Find a doctor who loves MTB and cares enough to spend the time needed to sort this out. There are lots of BP meds, which one is right for you? A cyclist will inherently understand you better.

Map Maker
    I take Atenolol as well - had worked like clockwork for 12 years no side effects so far.
    I was important to quit caffine for me - I quit for 10 years - but in the last 3 -4 months I have started having one soda with lunch - I can't wait to quit again.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

eBiker
    I had "borderline" high blood pressure, diagnosed at 30 (when I went to the ER with a migraine that turned me into a vegetable).

I tried diet, low sodium, & exercise, but nothing was very effective. Enter MTB, then enter some serious riding: 3 days a week, 1-3 hour rides each, high intensity, and I am now kicking the HBP in the sack.

The key for me was elevating the exercise. The few mile jog was not doing it for me. Tho at the time I thought that was a lot (and all the people around me still think the same). 15 to 30 mile rides at intensity and I'm in the 120s.

So for me, if I don't ride more/harder, I die earlier.

YMMV. I wish I was a part of these forums back when I was diagnosed.

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't really know much about high blood pressure, but I hope you can find out a way to lower it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I have to start riding again. A couple of years ago I was commuting by bike and last weight and was off my meds and felt great. In the last few years I have been working like crazy. Going for another degree and have gained about 25 pounds. I have to start riding again. I am working on rearranging my schedule a little to get myself some time to ride. Hope to start with 3 days a week now and add more. Now lets see if I can get back to my old wrestling weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i had high bp ... but it has stayed avg / to a little below avg .. now that i have changed my eating and exercise habits

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kary
    I have been bttling with high blood pressure for a number of years and have used my riding to help keep it under control. Lately I have no energy to do any exercise and suspect it is my medication. It really is a catch 22 in that if I don't ride my pressure goes up but if I take my meds I don't feel like riding. Anyone out there have to deal with blood pressure and how do you keep motivated?
    Thanks
    I have high blood pressure and was prescribed medication for it. The medication sapped away any and all energy and I ended up quitting my meds. However, I compensated for that by changing my diet and exercise routine and checking my blood pressure on a constant basis. My blood pressure remains normal as long as I keep my weight at about 177 lbs and eat right.

However, if I were you I would consult your doctor and see if they can give you another medication that won't make you as tired. Don't do what I did automatically...because you might have a type of high blood pressure that cannot be controlled by diet and exercise. You could end up killing yourself. Eat right, be the right weight for your height, and talk to your doctor.

mtbr member
    i was borderline for a while as well and my doc was considering meds about 4 years ago. i started running (i was still biking a lot) and training for a half marathon, dropped about 20 lbs (from the mid 140's to the mid 120's) and my BP has been normal to low ever since I dropped the weight... I also changed my diet quite a bit to mostly veggies, meat, some supplements and cut down on the carbs (minimized processed foods as well).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am currently working on my high blood pressure problem and medications. I recently came off of Toprol which is beta blocker because it was giving me all sorts of bad side effects for months and I didn't even know what was going on.

One important thing about calcium channel blockers that I have found. There are different kinds. The Dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers do not target the heart muscle, but the arteries. So I would think that they would not effect heart rate and rhythm as much. The non-Dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers like Cardizem(dilatzeum) will slow your heart rate down, because they do target the heart as well as the arteries.

So now I am on an ARB, diueretic and a Dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker, all those because my high blood pressure is stubborn and high. Hopefully, once I start to get it lowered, I may be able to use fewer drugs at lower doses.

I just started this new medication regime a few weeks ago and plan on doing lots of riding this summer, so I will report back and let you guys know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I've seen some information that indicates potassium can help with BP. In the spring I was eating 1-2 bananas a day and riding a lot. My systolic was down about 20 points. That is badly anecdotal but interesting.

Now my stress level is 13 on a 10 scale. my BP is through the roof. Hopefully I can deal with stuff before it kills me.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast