Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Onepivot- Foot Drop is when you are limping or walking funny, it seems like I do not do the same movement in my left foot than my right..I also have no pain or very little once in awhile(which they said it is worst because, it means that the nerve is getting damage). Definitely go and have an MRI. I am doing both PT and Chiro.. My Chiro want to see me everyday- He said I can do Recum.. Bike or Eliptical but. what it sucks the most is not being able to get in a real bike and go to the trails..
    Good Luck with you MRI..
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gera72 View Post
    Onepivot- Foot Drop is when you are limping or walking funny, it seems like I do not do the same movement in my left foot than my right..I also have no pain or very little once in awhile(which they said it is worst because, it means that the nerve is getting damage). Definitely go and have an MRI. I am doing both PT and Chiro.. My Chiro want to see me everyday- He said I can do Recum.. Bike or Eliptical but. what it sucks the most is not being able to get in a real bike and go to the trails..
    Good Luck with you MRI..
    Damn. Sounds like I likely have some nerve damage going on. My PT and Chiro both said riding is OK as long as I don't overdo it. Overdoing it is not possible since I can barely push with my right leg.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    My L1-L2 disc burst about 10 years ago, it hasn't healed but I have learned to not make it worse. Riding has always been one thing that doesn't aggravate it even tho it's what caused it, ironic! What's helped me is to avoid certain movements and strains and doing core strengthening exercises. Good luck and keep on truckin!
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Today went to the Surgeon and he said that as long as I am getting better I don't need surgery, fiuuuuu!! big relief for me, He also said that I can ride my back..Eventhough my pain is very mild, is more like a discomfort.. but numbness and thingling still there, I don't feel confifent to ride in the mountain.. I will start next year!!.. Good luck to everyone here.. BY the way. are there special Full Suspension bikes for XC.?
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by rollarducks View Post
    yeah, I would recommend finding a good ortho who deals with back injuries. In general, spinal decompression has fallen well out of favor in medical circles.
    Not true. I'm a chiropractor in a small town. I have a couple of family practitioners who are hesitant to refer patients for traditional chiropractic care but will refer from spinal decompression. One came in to treat her disc injury and had great results.

Years ago, an orthopedic surgeon friend came into my office to find out why I wasn't referring him as many patients. I told him I was having really good results with spinal decompression and McKenzie Method. I guess it fell out of favor with him.

While chiropractors have popularized spinal decompression, I'm seeing it more and more in physical therapy and medical offices. I even know some orthopedic surgeons who have them in their offices. Never-the-less, I think it's way underutilized. I think it's almost criminal to do most disc surgery without trying spinal decompression first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I had a herniated disc way back 2004 when I tried to upright my motorcycle (400cc Bandit) when I dropped it. I tried to upright it the wrong way and blew my back. After 3 months of PT and ultrasonic sessions, the pain was gone. But recently, it's kind of coming back again but not when I'm biking. It comes back when I'm standing for walking slowly for several hours. I don't know if my core strength has anything to do with it but as I mentioned, it's not an issue when I'm biking 100 kms a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So, How did you guys with back injuries/herniations make out? I'm going through this right now. I had severe lower back pain for about a month now from a bad slip while walking down a steep hill. The lower back pain has gotten better with chiro adjustments, anti-inflamatories and rest. Now, I'm left with a numb left leg for the the past few weeks that is very annoying but not as painful as the back was. I'm scheduled to see my family Doc this Tuesday to review and send me for an MRI. I'm trying to find out what I can and can not do. The pain and numbness goes away and feels better when I walk and doing active stuff. Then, when I get done and sit around the leg goes numb again. I'm trying to find out which stretches/exercises are best for this injury. I guess I will not find out until we see what the MRI shows. Which way should I be stretching my back? Is doing press-ups(cobra) back extensions ok or should I be streching the spine the other way(hunching forward, crunches, rolling like a ball) Any advice? I just don't want to injury it more or prolong the healing process. What about riding? It does not hurt when I ride or walk as I said before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    So, How did you guys with back injuries/herniations make out? I'm going through this right now. I had severe lower back pain for about a month now from a bad slip while walking down a steep hill. The lower back pain has gotten better with chiro adjustments, anti-inflamatories and rest. Now, I'm left with a numb left leg for the the past few weeks that is very annoying but not as painful as the back was. I'm scheduled to see my family Doc this.......
    I did both Chiropractor and PT for almost a year, At the end I stay with PT only because was closer to my house. My pain and numbness has gone away, however I still have a very mild foot drop.. not an issue. PT said is going to take awhile before I go back to 100% but started riding back again as soon as i did not had any pain or numbness.. I have been doing 30mi. road bike and 14mi MTB with no issues.. I do stretches as much I can. Wait for your MRI and then continue with PT and Chiropractor if you can-Good luck
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a herniated disc about 10 years ago. I tried the Chiropractor several times getting worse each time and the last adjustment got this warm tingling feeling in my back that left my right leg and side numb. I could not walk anymore and had tremendous pain in my back and leg. Went to a neuro surgeon on Thursday got a MRI on Friday and had surgery on Monday. The surgery was microscopic and the stay in the hospitable was less than 24 hrs. Recovery was about four weeks. In my case I think the chiropractor made things worse and I would not go to one again. The chiropractor did say they could not help me anymore and to go to a MD.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    So, How did you guys with back injuries/herniations make out? I'm going through this right now. I had severe lower back pain for about a month now from a bad slip while walking down a steep hill. The lower back pain has gotten better with chiro adjustments, anti-inflamatories and rest. Now, I'm left with a numb left leg for the the past few weeks that is very annoying but not as painful as the back was. I'm scheduled to see my family Doc this Tuesday to review and send me for an MRI. I'm trying to find out what I can and can not do. The pain and numbness goes away and feels better when I walk and doing active stuff. Then, when I get done and sit around the leg goes numb again. I'm trying to find out which stretches/exercises are best for this injury. I guess I will not find out until we see what the MRI shows. Which way should I be stretching my back? Is doing press-ups(cobra) back extensions ok or should I be streching the spine the other way(hunching forward, crunches, rolling like a ball) Any advice? I just don't want to injury it more or prolong the healing process. What about riding? It does not hurt when I ride or walk as I said before.
    You are describing the presentation of a classic flexion biased disc injury. Find someone certified in the McKenzie Method. It's a simple but very effective method for evaluating and treating disc injuries. They'll be able to explain to you why sitting is worse, and standing/walking are better. They'll explain why press-ups (cobra) will likely to help and hunching forward, crunching and rolling like a ball will likely make you worse.

If riding doesn't make it worse then you can likely continue. I had one patient who was in pain in just about every position (sitting, standing, laying down). The only time he was pain free was riding his bike. Part of his rehab was riding his bike.

The McKenzie Institute - The McKenzie Method

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had bad back pain on and off for almost 10 years. My chiro told me it was due to my leg length discrepancy. I had broken my femur about 10 years prior which caused my discrepancy. About evey 4-6 months my back would go out and it was getting progressively worse. I ended up getting a script for physical therapy.

My first day the therapists asked if I got a MRI. I explained that I didn't want an MRI because that would lead to surgery. It's the american way. He laughed and shared a study on MRI's. 98 men and women without back pain were given an MRI. Most had back issues like bulging discs. The MRI's were given to surgeons and most would have recommend surgery. Here's the study MMS: Error. He also told me of a follow up study where they gave those MRI's to physicians and asked if they would recommend surgery based on the MRI's. Many would.

My treatment went well. I had a functional issue where my left medial glut had amnesia. This was probably due to being on crutches for a year.

Long and short, if I was in your shoes I would jump into anything that required surgery. At least no without trying many other options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I had bad back pain on and off for almost 10 years. My chiro told me it was due to my leg length discrepancy. I had broken my femur about 10 years prior which caused my discrepancy. About evey 4-6 months my back would go out and it was getting progressively worse. I ended up getting a script for physical therapy.

My first day the therapists asked if I got a MRI. I explained that I didn't want an MRI because that would lead to surgery. It's the american way. He laughed and shared a study on MRI's. 98 men and women without back pain were given an MRI. Most had back issues like bulging discs. The MRI's were given to surgeons and most would have recommend surgery. Here's the study MMS: Error. He also told me of a follow up study where they gave those MRI's to physicians and asked if they would recommend surgery based on the MRI's. Many would.

My treatment went well. I had a functional issue where my left medial glut had amnesia. This was probably due to being on crutches for a year.

Long and short, if I was in your shoes I would jump into anything that required surgery. At least no without trying many other options.
    Thanks for the advice! Went to the Doc and gave me a few tests for strength, flexibility, etc.. Didn't get an MRI yet. He gave me a steroid pack to reduce the inflammation. The pain/numbness in my leg is getter milder and improving. Sitting is the worse. We'll see how the next week goes. Been stretching/exercising core allot!! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had 3 herniated disc in my neck, due to old trauma injuries....my chiro, a friend of mine refused to touch it, and instead gave me a really simple little cervical traction device that consists of a triangular pillow and a strap that you hang a weight from the edge of a table or bed that you lie on. I did that, along with simultaneous acupuncture and therapy laser 5 days a week, and in 3 weeks I was virtually symptom free.

Out of a couple hundred disc herniation and/or spinal stenosis cases, only a handful did not respond fairly quickly to this combo of three therapies. Even several 'failed' back surgery cases got better. I found that surprising.

And yes, once the area of herniation/stenosis is stabilized, by all means begin exercises under the initial guidance of a PT. The multifidus muscle, often never even mentioned, is perhaps the most 'core' muscle you have. Lengthening and strengthening it will really help prevent recurrence of symptoms once you are out of the acute inflammatory stage.

Only in a few cases is the risk so dire that surgery is necessary. Thank god for surgeons when the situation calls for it!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am currently going through the same thing - MRI shows L4L5 5mm out into the nerve and 7mm on the L5-S1, I wonder how this compares to others? The chiro said he was surprised I could function. I went to my primary and they rushed me into a nuero. Nuero said surgery or two epidurals at this point. Problem is he thinks one disk might have ruptured and "leaked" in which case epidurals won't be an option? So I go get another MRI with contrast on Wednesday and we'll go from. Worst part is I live in PHX, we are a few months into our ideal riding season part of my problem being I really pushed it hard in October. I am interested in hearing how this compares to others, especially the folks that just did PT. The pain right now is unreal

U sayin' Bolt ?
    If you can function and walk normally, you should be able to heal. The pain will pass once the fragment dries out. If, when the pain is gone, you have progressive neurological deficits, you should have surgery to prevent getting into a disabling situation with no way out.

I've done close to 5000 hours of core/leg excercises and focussed rehab. I have dedicated everything anyone can and still have a disk that won't hold up along with permanent numbness and lack of reflexes in my right leg. Now my left leg is buckled going on 7 months and I am looking at disc replacement at 31. Should be good after that though

Work hard and don't do anything stupid! If you can function without symptoms for 3 months you are likely healed and can get back to doing more strenuous things.

mtbr member
    I herniated C5/C6 about 10 years ago while working out. Most pain I've ever been in, radiated down my right arm and forced me off the bike for over a year. I didn't have health insurance at the time and when I finally got it (almost a year later), Physical therapy made it tolerable in about 10 weeks but my neurologist told me that I would need surgery eventually. I've had a few flare ups since the initial injury but none lasted more than a few weeks until this past August. I went over the bars and off a ledge, landing flat on my back. I got up and rode out of the woods but knew something was wrong. I went to the chiropractor for a few weeks until for someone reason the pain greatly intensified to the point of being debilitating. I had an MRI and it showed a small herniation of C5/C6 pinching nerves on the right and a MASSIVE herniation on C6/C7 pinching nerves on the left. Nothing I did helped. I met with a neurologist again and was advised that due to the size of the herniation (the disc exploded and was in little pieces), he was only recommending surgery. I had spinal fusion just under two weeks ago and feel better than I have in 3 Months. I have none of the initial nerve pain and the pain from the surgery is minimal (I was taking hydro's like they were candy prior to surgery and haven't taken one since the day after surgery). Doc says my only restriction after recovering will be no helmet to helmet contact sports. I am considering getting a Leatt Brace or something else to protect my neck and spine. I can't wait to heal up to get back on the bike but want to as protected as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2