mtbr member
    Apr 2010

hernia shmernia ...4 to 5 weeks no biking.

I got my second hernia repaired today, if you have never had one ill tell you, they basically pump those things out like oil changes. About a 20 min long surgery, wake up an hour later, leave the hospital an hour after that.
    But not before being told no biking for 4-5 weeks.

Not the worst Rider Down story on here, but i was surprised when he said no biking for that long.
    May is prob one of the best months for biking in new england... not too hot yet, single track feels nice and spacious before the vegetation encroaches, and its right now (which always seems to be the worst time to be told you cant ride your bike).

Whatever May, me and my new bionic groin will see you next year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did you have laproscopic surgery or was it an open surgery? I have an open surgery scheduled in a few weeks. I was told about 6 weeks off the bike. Did you have any issues when you had your first surgery? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry.....forgot to say: hope you are feeling OK and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks! I had open surgery and no issues with the first one which was also open surgery (about 2 years ago). First time around he said i could start with some light cycling after two weeks, which i did and i dont remember having any issues. Prob didnt really push myself till 4-6 weeks though.
    Either way I will wait whatever he tells me this time.
    Also, since i got a second one, the first was on my left side and this one is on the right side, so i initially asked the Dr. what the deal was. If im going to blow out the center next or if this is going be on going. He said if you have one your chances are high that you will have another but that I should not ever have to worry about any more issues... that said, i know 2 others who had one 15+ years ago and never had another.

get some good movies/tv shows ready and a nice girl to wait on you. good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I too know another person who had the surgery twice. After his second repair, he didn't have any other issues and rides all the time. My doctor said 6 weeks off and I intend to follow the directions. I want this fixed and fixed right. Believe it or not, it took about 9 months and 9 different doctors to determine what the problem was. I've read many accounts and it seems like some doctors have patients taking a week or two off, whereas other doctors are more extreme and require 4-6 weeks off. When people were allowed to ride after a week or two, they all seemed to complain that they pushed it two quickly and suffered. Best of luck with your recovery!

I've got my wife, ready to wait on me hand and foot (at least for the first day or two)!