MPI
    mtbr member

Hematoma and broken fibula

Hi
    It's now five weeks from my last enduro race which caused me a massive hematoma in back of my knee and calf + fibula cutten in two pieces. Like the F1 races where you try to won the race in first corner I tried to do that in the first stage. I made a somersault which end up tree causing back of calf hitting to a tree. So my race was stopped and I was cribbling to the first aid place. So they put bandage and cold bag to it. It felt like pretty ok and I decided to drive myself back to home (app. 4 hours drive). And now my word of advice. Do not ever try the same. Keep your leg at least two hours bangaged and cold. Also place leg so that it will be facing upwards.

The swelling my leg look like football and skin in the back of knee and calf could not keep the tissue fluids inside the skin.
    So the skin looked seriously burned. Luckily my friend who is orthopedic surgeon made a house call at the sane night. So as you can imagine he was not very happy about my actions and that made me feeling very stupid.

So leg was bandaged good and the next morning I was heading to the first MR and X-ray. The inspection showed the sewere rupture of the main venous and small ruptures in veins. It caused some serious swelling due to poor first aid (my own fault). But MR and X-ray did not show a small crack in the fibula. The week later when walking in the stairs I felt tight snap in my calf. Thats then the fibula was cut to two pieces.

Due to swelling I have been in three times in the operation in which the blood/tissue fluids have sucked from leg. During one these operations X-ray showed the broken fibula.

So now it is five weeks from accident. Walking is still difficult due to the swelling and calf is pretty much still numb (according to surgeon it might result some nerve damage). I have been water running and excercising for one week now. Next week I will try to start easy cycling.

So my short point is: Do not ever underestimate the importance of the first aid.

Greets
    MPI
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    I hope it end well for you with a complete healing.

MPI
    mtbr member

Hematoma and broken fibula

Thanks Settertude! I hope so too.

To add color to scene a week before injury I heard from the surgeons that both of my hip joints had worn out and most likely has to replaced for some time. Ball joints are now conical joints :-) I have been wondering how am I so damn stiff from the hips even if I try strech as much as possible.

But hey! I try too see the positive side. People have much worse problems than I do. Luckily I have a good incurance company which will cover my expences.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives