mtbr member

HELP, need a practical solution to platform pedals from mangling my calf

I am relatively new riding and am currently using platform pedals , I like the grip they provide and at this point I am not sure I a ready to go clipless route. Seems every time I get my calf to heal I go out for a ride and come back with some new scratches from the pins on the platforms. Today, I pushed things a bit and had a great time, but my calf looks like a meat grinder was taken to it.

What are some of the things other's do to keep the damage to a minimum, seems that socks won't be enough, any ideas ?
    Last edited by tjMountain; 01-26-2014 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Guess I should have UTFSE (Use The F..ing Search Engine), seems like my choices are shin guards, jeans or go clipless. Saw some horrific pictures of what those pins can do to your shins/legs. Decided to try shin guards before going clipless.
    Last edited by tjMountain; 01-27-2014 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I use platforms because I am old and the fixed clipless position will hurt my knees after a while. I need to move my feet around and adjust on the fly to eliminate this. The downside is that like you, I occasionally slip off a pedal and get attacked by the pins. I have not solved this but have substantially reduced the incidence of carnage by having shoes with sticky soles. Good grip is critical.

Magically Delicious
    When I first went clipless, I needed knee guards, not shin guards. Obviously, there are two camps on the subject, but going clipless was the best thing I have done.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Actually another way to go, which I admit is not practical for most people, is to have the spikes on the shoes instead of the pedals. This is what I do in the winter here in New England. In addition to studded tires I put screw-in studs into an old pair of running shoes with decent lugs and use them with cheap, light plastic pedals. I do this because I need to put my foot down while on ice and need traction. There are a few companies out there that make these and one of them is called "Icespikes". The systems grips well. I also do a little winter tail running so this does double duty. Obviously its not the best for walking on hard surfaces. The el-cheapo way is to use 3/8" no. 8 sheet metal screws.

mtbr member
    1. Get 5.10 shoes - their sticky rubber is the best and feet won't slip off so much.
    2. Feet CENTERED on the pedals (center of arch along pedal spindle), NOT ball of the foot over the spindle like for XC riding. Biggest mistake beginners and XC riders make. Also drop your heels for descending for more pressure on the pedals, lower c of g and more weight transfer thru the pedals to the tires.
    3. Make sure the pedal is 180 deg in front of you when pushing uphill alongside the bike (furthest away from your legs).
    4. Contrary to popular belief, sharp long pins are BETTER because your feet stay ON the pedals. Calf shredders happen when your feet slip off of worn, damaged pins!

Do these things and you won't need shin guards nor jeans with even the sharpest of pedals.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Put some clips or half clips on your pedals.. You wont look cool but you wont mangle your calves anymore.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    5.10 rubber is the trick. I like the lighter shoes they make, NOT the Impacts. Add good pedals and good technique and you will never come off the pedals. I haven't ripped up a calf or shin in years and flats are all I ride with.