mtbr member
    Oct 2013

help me diagnose my pain pls.

hi everyone..
    i started back cycling in the summer, would consider myself reasonbly fit, but have been trying to get bike fit.
    ive completed 2 50 mile sportifs and am out every weekend completing 20 miles, mainly on my 29 er now the weather has turned wet.
    i push myself as hard as i can.
    i have recently been getting pain behind my knee after about 1 hour of cylcling its quite sore after and does hinder me when cycling after the hour.
    if you put your leg out in front of you slightly bent. there is a soft spot behind the knee with what i think are two tendons? either side of the spoft spot linking it to the lower leg?
    its the outside left leg only thats is sore..
    ive tried to self diagnose on the internet, and from what i can work out its anything from my seat being too high, seat being too low
    crank length.etc etc..

i would really like some thoughts as to what you guys on here consider it may be.. and what could help me solve the issues...
    i have a local concept specialized shop that does bike fit.. but was hoping to get a bike fit free of charge for when i purchase a new bike in january 2014.

regards

andy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Diagnosis via mtb forum is never a really good idea. If this thing keeps bothering you, see a doctor about it.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    yes, i agree but i would take my chances, ten years ago i impacted both my feet after going down a water slide with my daughter. misdiagnosed by the doctor & hospital resulted in significant issues for a few months that could have been prevented.
    i was hoping that it may have been a fairly common cycling occurance. in that i couldthen go to my doctor with a little knowledge.
    cheers

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    I sometimes get a mild discomfort in my left knee after a ride. Once when I noticed it during a ride, I happened to switch my descending stance from right foot forward to left foot forward, and it went away.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue after replacing my saddle. It turns out that I initially positioned the replacement to far forward. Once I moved it back my knee pain subsided.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If you are riding clipless pedals it could possibly be caused by the,bu tmost of the pain I have either heard of or gotten is generally going to be on the sides or under the knee cap. As LB412 said it could also be saddle placement. If you experiment a little and it does not get better, I would have a bike shop fit your bike to you. If your bike is not the right size though it might be time for an upgade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You have a pissed off popliteal cyst- unlikely, or you need to lower your seat by 10 mm's and wait six months for leg pain to magically disappear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks guys, i will experiment with a little lower seatpost, for this weeks ride...
    if it still hurts will get te bike fit done early.
    kind regards
    andy

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get a pro bike fit, start there.