Thread: Help with leg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help with leg

Before I get started, you need to know that I was recently let go from my job, and Cobra will cost me about 1,300 bucks. So I am trying to avoid going to the doctor unless I have to (it will definetly cost me now). Normally I would go to a doctor, but this time it will cost.

On Easter I was playing soccer with me nephew and I tweaked the back of my right leg. (I am sure it didnt help that I went surfing and did a lot of beach activities with my kids for the week after that as well). But my leg hurts when I squat all the way down (but comes close to the ground) or bend my leg at weird angles (sit indian style with legs crossed on the ground). The pain is behind my knee on the inside of my thigh and my upper inside calf. I can still walk normally and go up and down stairs its when I bend the leg at extreme angles where it hurts.

It still hurts and I am starting to get worried. It has been a week now.

Thanks for your help and advice.

mtbr member

Meniscal Tear

Quote Originally Posted by micky
    Before I get started, you need to know that I was recently let go from my job, and Cobra will cost me about 1,300 bucks. So I am trying to avoid going to the doctor unless I have to (it will definetly cost me now). Normally I would go to a doctor, but this time it will cost.

On Easter I was playing soccer with me nephew and I tweaked the back of my right leg. (I am sure it didnt help that I went surfing and did a lot of beach activities with my kids for the week after that as well). But my leg hurts when I squat all the way down (but comes close to the ground) or bend my leg at weird angles (sit indian style with legs crossed on the ground). The pain is behind my knee on the inside of my thigh and my upper inside calf. I can still walk normally and go up and down stairs its when I bend the leg at extreme angles where it hurts.

It still hurts and I am starting to get worried. It has been a week now.

Thanks for your help and advice.
    It is always challenging trying to diagnese on line, but it sounds a bit like a Meniscal pathology, possilby Posterior Horn on the Medial side.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Only a week? Since your options are kinda limited right now, try LOTS of rest and ice it down once a day for say another week or two. If it's still hurting, you can go from there. I have been lucky so far, all my aches and pains seem to go away if I stop working out and rest for a week or two....
    Matt

08 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

I am trying to take it easy (although I went for a ride today). But that is hard for me to do. The good news is that it feels better (I wonder if biking actually helps it.

Will the Meniscal pathology or Posterior Horn on the Medial side get better with time, or is this something that will generally need surgery.

Thanks.

PS
    Hey BoiseBoy, I am assuming you are from Boise ID. Do you know IMPDude (Dave). He lives in those parts. If you do tell him hello from me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It is better now

It is better now, but there are some very specific sore points now. If I bend my knee sharply, it hurts on the inside of my thigh along some sort of tendons about 1-2" above the inside bent of the knee and there is now some sort of weird uncomfortable feeling like something is not quite right. I have more range of motion but I am still worried.

Any ideas (or self treatment) before I pull the plug and spent 1,300 plus whatever copays and deductables I would have to pay. Or should I wait this out a little longer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here's my 2 cents...

Given that you were playing soccer, one of two things comes to mind... The meniscus problem like you heard earlier, or an injury to your anterior cruciate ligament. Since things feel "weird" and "something not right inside" to me that sounds like a bona fide injury.

Generally speaking, riding your bike should be ok, as long as you don't further twist or stress the knee. Please don't fall. If you can't trust yourself, stick to the road.

If the knee locks in either flexion or extension, that is your big hint that it is a meniscal tear. If your knee feels like it is going to fall apart, that would be the cruciate. With your description of issues with things like Indian Sitting, my guess it is a meniscus problem. Ultimately, if it is torn, you are looking at some sort of surgery, usually a scope to trim out the bad part.

If I were you, I'd cough up the dollars and go directly to see an orthopedic surgeon, preferably one that does a lot of athletic injuries. Skip the family doc, because they will more than likely refer you to the ortho doc anyway. After you pay around $100 out of pocket, the doc will twist your knee around and reproduce your symptoms. You will then find out what is wrong and what can be done about it.

Marcia (a physical therapist)